Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Anyone run into problems with E85 yet?

I've been using E85 for about two weeks now and have put probably 600 miles on it, and I've had 0 problems other than my LTFT's being a bit high and needing some adjustment from Vince. The reason I bring this up is because I've talked with Scott Settlemire about some things and one thing I mentioned was thoughts on E85 (assuming the Camaro is tuned for it). He said it would probably be a mad idea because it would damage fuel delivery components. I was also talking to one of my buddy's who works a lot with E85 (mainly on motorcycles though). He was telling me one of the largest dangers is that alchool dries things up much faster, and could dry up seals. He suggested an additive you add to your fuel that helps prevent this.

I imagine it is too early for anyone seeing damages caused by E85. But I just wanted to post this out in the air and get peoples thoughts. I think I know how you feel about this subject bmorecam
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
What is the suggested additive? Seems to me it would be a good idea to simply start using it. Safe rather than sorry.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well...somebody out there knows for sure lol. (like the designers of the new LFX engine!) But I doubt we will get lucky enough to have one of those people come in here and tell us one way or the other.

My thoughts are this: The new LFX can run with E85....but what is so different about it besides the integrated exhaust ports, plastic intake manifold, and the new delphi ECM??

Everyone always says its the fuel delivery components that will go first...well then obviously the new LFX must have all the right fuel delivery components. But what parts fall under this category? Is it just the fuel lines and pump...or what?? What parts...if any, would need to be swapped?

There have been studys done on older vehicles showing that they ran just fine on E85 as long as they were tuned for it. Now I'm not saying E85 won't cause any issues for the LLT, but I'd think the same issues should apply to these older engines...wouldn't they? (assuming there were any)

Obviously, the LLT is not tuned from the factory for E85, and LFX is....and that is where I think the real difference lies with these two engines. Any other components that may be used in the LFX to help make it E85 compatible...well I have no clue what those might be but again I feel the tune may be the only difference.

My .02
Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

The LFX isn't E85 compatible, those words came straight from Scott's mouth. Ok well finger tips via email but still.

I do not know where the FLX is E85 compatible started, but I read it somewhere on here and brought it up to Scott and here's his reply.

"Just checked w/ engineering....no 5th gen camaro is E85 compatible....including the 2012 LFX engine" - Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post
What is the suggested additive? Seems to me it would be a good idea to simply start using it. Safe rather than sorry.
Not sure off the top of my head. I'll have to ask him again.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
todrules
Rollin' Green

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Here's what Mobil has to say about the oil.

Quote:
Question:
Which Motor Oil Is Best for Engines Using E85 Fuel
I am using E85 fuel in a converted Honda engine originally not designed for its use. One of the primary concerns of this is the formic acid created in the event of water contamination of the fuel. I have always used Mobil 1 5W-20, but am wondering if Mobil Clean or Extended Performance would be a better choice for me. What Mobil oil has the greatest amount of acid neutralizers in it?
-- Andrew Champion, Frisco, CO

Answer:
We recommend you use a heavy duty diesel product if you want additional acid neutralizer. We recommend you try Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 as it is based on HD diesel technology, which contains additional over-based detergents for acid neutralization.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

hmmm I do not know how I feel about putting Heavy Duty Diesel oil in the engine.. lol
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Your fuel components will be fine. I have been running e85 on my car for over a year and have tuned multiple e85 setups on various cars without any problems. There are a few things that you have to look out for as preventative maintenance goes, but they are simple. It's your call whether or not it's worth it to continue to run e85 for you.

1. Oil changes. Change the oil more often when running e85. Various contaminants in your oil from e85 can be more significant than pure gasoline. Run a catch can rather than letting the PCV route contaminated oil back into the intake and change your oil every ~3k or so and after an oil change, send it in to be tested for contaminants and metal presence to see if it's necessary to switch to a different oil.

2. Absolutely do not leave the car sitting for extended periods of time with e85 in the tank.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
The LFX isn't E85 compatible, those words came straight from Scott's mouth. Ok well finger tips via email but still.

I do not know where the FLX is E85 compatible started, but I read it somewhere on here and brought it up to Scott and here's his reply.

"Just checked w/ engineering....no 5th gen camaro is E85 compatible....including the 2012 LFX engine" - Scott.

Not sure off the top of my head. I'll have to ask him again.
Are you sure about this? because if it is then this surely is a news It is all over the internet, and even was on the front page of this forum.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Your fuel components will be fine. I have been running e85 on my car for over a year and have tuned multiple e85 setups on various cars without any problems. There are a few things that you have to look out for as preventative maintenance goes, but they are simple. It's your call whether or not it's worth it to continue to run e85 for you.

1. Oil changes. Change the oil more often when running e85. Various contaminants in your oil from e85 can be more significant than pure gasoline. Run a catch can rather than letting the PCV route contaminated oil back into the intake and change your oil every ~3k or so and after an oil change, send it in to be tested for contaminants and metal presence to see if it's necessary to switch to a different oil.

2. Absolutely do not leave the car sitting for extended periods of time with e85 in the tank.
With extended period of time being over a month or longer.

Also I noticed that when I ran the recommended 5w30 I would always end up with my oil turning watery at the end of the oil life cycle. After doing some research I used what I think was 5w40 synth?(have to double check)and my oil started looking normal again.

I double recommend more frequent oil change.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
navyblueburnout
navyblueburnout

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
When I Bought my first 2010 Camaro 2SS the dealer told me that they were taking it to get filled up. I was all happy about getting a free tank of gas but that night she started ticking horribly and misfiring bad. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was some really bad gas that caused all the problems. Tuns out they filled it full with E85. After a little persuasion I walked out of there with a different car (still a Camaro 2SS) but this time I refused the free tank of gas and now nothing but 100% 93 octane goes in my car. Havent had another problem sense. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Are you sure about this? because if it is then this surely is a news It is all over the internet, and even was on the front page of this forum.
Yup, just double checked. I'll see if I can get Scott over here to bestow his knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyblueburnout View Post
When I Bought my first 2010 Camaro 2SS the dealer told me that they were taking it to get filled up. I was all happy about getting a free tank of gas but that night she started ticking horribly and misfiring bad. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was some really bad gas that caused all the problems. Tuns out they filled it full with E85. After a little persuasion I walked out of there with a different car (still a Camaro 2SS) but this time I refused the free tank of gas and now nothing but 100% 93 octane goes in my car. Havent had another problem sense. Just my 2 cents
But your SS wasn't tuned for E85, which is what caused the problem.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
No mention of flex fuel for the LFX in the original GM press release.

I thought I kept seeing flex fuel too.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us..._camaro_engine

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
todrules
Rollin' Green

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
No mention of flex fuel for the LFX in the original GM press release.

I thought I kept seeing flex fuel too.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us..._camaro_engine
That's because the description of the LFX engine is "LFX 3.6L SIDI, DOHC, VVT, E85 MAX, Alum GM."
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Yup, just double checked. I'll see if I can get Scott over here to bestow his knowledge.

But your SS wasn't tuned for E85, which is what caused the problem.
Problem was the idiots at the dealership!

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote