Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy
 
bowtie628's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 815
v6 engine ping?

when i drive my car at low speeds like between 5-15 MPH and the RPM'S are low im hearing a pinging coming from the engine, once im over a certain speed its stops.. i know its not a knock.. kinda sounds like when theres bad gas in a car.. i also use 87 octane, i dont know if this has anything to do with it?
__________________
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
when i drive my car at low speeds like between 5-15 MPH and the RPM'S are low im hearing a pinging coming from the engine, once im over a certain speed its stops.. i know its not a knock.. kinda sounds like when theres bad gas in a car.. i also use 87 octane, i dont know if this has anything to do with it?
I would try running some higher octane...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
gml1998
 
gml1998's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minooka Illinois
Posts: 685
I would also try higher octane to see if the pinging gets better .If the pinging gets better with higher octane you will know it is pre detonation issue.However you should be able to run 87 octane with no issues.I think a trip to the shop is in your future.
Test higher octane first,that way you can tell the shop you have tried gifferent fuel. Good luck
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy
 
bowtie628's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 815
funny thing is.. when my car was doing this last night my tank was on dead empty and the low fuel warning was on.. once i re filled the noise went away...
__________________
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
funny thing is.. when my car was doing this last night my tank was on dead empty and the low fuel warning was on.. once i re filled the noise went away...
Could be sucking crap from the fuel tank into the fuel filter and the fresh tank cleared things up?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy
 
bowtie628's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Could be sucking crap from the fuel tank into the fuel filter and the fresh tank cleared things up?
thats what im thinking..
__________________
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Fuel Fire Desire
 
Fuel Fire Desire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M6 LS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
I would also try higher octane to see if the pinging gets better .If the pinging gets better with higher octane you will know it is pre detonation issue.However you should be able to run 87 octane with no issues.I think a trip to the shop is in your future.
Test higher octane first,that way you can tell the shop you have tried gifferent fuel. Good luck

Pre-ignition, or Detonation. Two different things.
__________________
Fuel Fire Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supercharger / Turbocharger Results (INFO) Thread radz28 Forced Induction - V8 256 11-18-2016 08:50 PM
Pfadt Race Engineering releases new Camaro V8 Engine Mounts PfadtRacing Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 43 06-07-2011 01:09 PM
Hot air Intakes -By Kenne bell ADM PERFORMANCE Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 66 02-08-2011 09:33 PM
LS3 engine specifications Tran Wiki 3 10-06-2010 11:56 PM
Pfadt Race Engineering releases new Camaro V8 Engine Mounts PfadtRacing Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 6 01-15-2010 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.