Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
BMR Weight Watchers Quest...

Everybody knows these cars are heavy but where is the weight? Better crash safety standards bring more air bags, sensors, and electronics, along with double and triple layered uni-body sheet metal panels and more rigid sub-frames. Higher luxury requirements requires more insulation and again more electronics and gizmos. The progressive trend towards larger diameter wheels makes a 65 lb. wheel/tire common place and now it takes a 26 lb. 14" rotor on all 4 wheels just to stop the thing. 14" rotors used to be the ultimate upgrade while now they have almost become the minimum standard necessary to stop these modern 2 ton cars.

It used to be physically possible to get a 4th Generation Camaro to 3100 lbs. while retaining a full interior, A/C and street wheels/tires. The 5th Gen is a different story and while all technological aspects of the 5th Gen are superior, it comes with a price. So how do they offer all of these new technological advances in the Z06 Corvette yet it only weighs 3100 lbs loaded? Aluminum, Magnesium, Titanium, and composites. It's hard to even find a steel component on a new Corvette, in fact I would be willing to bet that the majority of steel used in a Z06 is in the hardware holding it together! These exotic materials cost money of course and are the reason why a Z06 costs $80k and your Fifth Gen is under $40k.

Throughout the process of our suspension development, testing, and various forms of racing using our Project TriloG Camaro, we have had practically the entire car apart multiple times testing different combinations. We have a TH400 that we use for drag strip testing and a built T56 for road course and drivability testing. Over the last month the car was being built for a specific track and we wanted to get the car as light as possible. Along the way, if a part was off the car it was weighed. This is not a complete list of items, some of them were just weighed and re-installed or replaced but I figured you guys would like to know some of this information so I made a weight chart below:

ITEM
WEIGHT (LBS.)
LOWER REAR SEAT
UPPER REAR SEAT
DRIVERS SEAT
PASSENGER SEAT
A/C EVAPORATOR CORE ASSY.
A/C COMPRESSOR
A/C CONDENSER
A/C-HEAT BLOWER MOTOR ASSY
A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C FIREWALL COVER
DRIVERS AIR BAG
PASSENGER AIR BAG
SIDE AIR BAG (EACH)
FIREWALL INSULATION
FLOOR INSULATION
TRUNK CARPET AND WELL COVER
TRUNK COMPRESSOR
TRUNK-LID STRUTS (PAIR)
FRONT BUMPER
REAR BUMPER
RADIO
DOOR SPEAKERS (PAIR)
FLOOR MATS (FRONT PAIR)
CENTER CONSOLE
EMERGENCY BRAKE LEVER W/CABLES
FRONT SEAT BELTS (PAIR)
REAR SEAT BELTS (PAIR)
FRONT BRAKE ROTORS (EACH)
REAR BRAKE ROTORS (EACH)
FRONT CALIPERS (EACH)
REAR CALIPERS (EACH)
HOOD
HOOD INSULATION
HORNS (PAIR)
WIPER ASSEMBLY W/MOTOR
WINDSHIELD COWL PLASTIC
DRIVESHAFT – 6 SPEED MANUAL
FUEL TANK SHIELD
DRIVE SHAFT HEAT SHIELD
STOCK AIR BOX
ENGINE COVER
CLUTCH ASSEMBLY (INCLUDING FLYWHEEL)

Of particular interest is just how light some of these components are. In the past you could save over 100 pounds by removing the air conditioning but with today’s highly efficient systems the weight is down to just 48.4 pounds for the entire system! The wiper motor, linkages, and wipers was only 8.6 lbs. combined and if you remove all 6 air bags out of the car you only save 13.4 lbs.

For this particular event the car did not need any creature comforts so the common weight loss tactics were employed (rear seats, one light weight drivers seat, A/C delete, etc) along with some other questionable weight removal such as insulation, sound deadener, etc. Keep in mind that a lot of these items will be going back in the car but we were able to shave 269 lbs. off the car! Basically everything that wasn’t necessary was removed. We also removed the bumpers which dropped 41 pounds by themselves. The rear bumper can be removed without any issues (off highway only) since the bumper cover does not use it for support. The front however, requires some sort of support to hold the nose stable at high speeds. We fabricated two “bumperettes” to accomplish this (shown below) and they only weigh 1 lb. each.

Our car has a custom 10 point chrome moly roll cage, Magnuson TVS supercharger, and Snow Performance alcohol injection kit adding a combined weight of 180+ lbs to an already heavy car. We at least wanted to offset that weight and get it back to the OE weight if possible. We were pleasantly surprised when we scaled the car and it weighed 3650 when all was said and done. While the current configuration is set up for the road course, this gives me a little hope that you could easily get these cars down below 3400 lbs. in drag race mode.

We achieved 3650 lbs. with all of the above components and the car outfitted with 20” CCW wheels and Wilwood 14.5” diameter brakes. A set of 17” Weld Drag wheels and tires can easily drop another 100 lbs. Lightweight brakes and a naturally aspirated motor could pull another 150-180 lbs. off the car bringing it down below 3400 lbs. I am also convinced that a 3-link or torque arm-equipped solid axle conversion using a 9” rear with aluminum center could knock another 100-200 lbs. off the car if someone was building a hardcore street/drag car. This is finally getting the car down into 4th Gen territory.

Most people will never go to these extremes but regardless this information is interesting and since we are gathering this data anyways I figured I would throw it out there for you guys to use however you wish. Ultimately, the lighter the car is the more responsive it will be while
handling, accelerating, and braking.

BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Cool.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
It seems like GM did everything they could to keep the weight down. I hate to say it but I think we're fighting a losing battle with the bulge.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Good resource for future Biggest Losers.

I decided just to stick with the basics: exhaust, wheels, passenger seat, etc.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Good resource for future Biggest Losers.

I decided just to stick with the basics: exhaust, wheels, passenger seat, etc.

Padre
We definitely figured it was some good information for people to have. We know most people won't go as far as we did but atleast the data is out there.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Can you guys make and sell bumperettes that go all the way across for front a rear? So we can have a light weight bumper support option that we can buy.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
Can you guys make and sell bumperettes that go all the way across for front a rear? So we can have a light weight bumper support option that we can buy.
If we can get enough interest we could definitely build something like that for the guys looking to lose a little extra weight.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
I'd be in for a set of front and rear as long as the net gain was close to the total weight of the two bumpers. No point in replacing something heavy with something else heavy.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Great info! Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
BMR guy

There is definitely no easy way to lose a significant chunk of weight while retaining 100% streetability. Those that are willing to sacrifice a few things can probably drop 100 lbs. or so permanently without compromising too much. 100 lbs. is a tenth at the drag strip and you can pull that off pretty easily. It's the next 100 that forces you to evaluate your dedication to weight loss. Below are a few simple things (in order of compromise) that will net the easiest reduction:

Round 1 - Road course / AutoX / Drag strip:
This would be the entry level to weight loss, kind of like trimming a few pounds for the class reunion.

1) Rear seat delete - 38.2 lbs. - this is a simple mod that can easily be re-installed after a day at the track.
2) Aftermarket front seats - up to 50 lbs. - There are plenty of really nice aftermarket seats from Sparco, Recaro, Corbeau, etc. that can drop a lot of weight if you are willing to give up your power features.
3) Coil-overs - up to 15 lbs. - smaller springs, aluminum components, etc. help make aftermarkecart coil-overs lighter than the OE parts and you get improved valving and spring rates at the same time.
4) Remove the dead weight - 30 lbs. - For a day at the track you can easily ditch the floor mats, plastic engine cover, trunk compressor and well cover. These items re-install in no time and don't compromise anything at the track.

133 pounds total and 65 of it is permanent.

Round 2 - Drag strip:
1) This one is easy. Install a set of drag wheel and tires. This will net you 100+ lbs. instantly and is just a wheel swap away. Not really a permanent weight reduction, kind of like using a girdle to hide the bulges.

Combo 3 - Drag strip:
This is the round where mods start changing the versatility and usability of the car. Most people would never consider the majority of these mods but the hardcore dragstrip racers have been doing them for years. Some weights shown below are estimated since products are not available yet except through custom fabrication.
1) Bumper deletes – Knocks 40+ pounds off the car but not recommended for street use for obvious reasons.
2) Lightweight Braille battery – Save 38 lbs.
3) V6 or aftermarket light-weight brake kits – Aluminum centered 12” rotors with a lightweight Wilwood or Strange caliper could easily save up to 60 lbs. over the 136 pounds of OE calipers and rotors. Will not perform as well as the OE brakes but still completely streetable.
4) Tubular front and rear cradles – Save 20+ lbs. each.
5) A/C delete – 48 lbs.
6) Power steering delete – 12 lbs.
7) Horns, wipers, radio and insulation removal – save 35+ pounds
8) Solid rear axle conversion – up to 150+ pounds
9) Composite panels – Sebon makes carbon fiber trunk lids, hoods, fenders, and doors already. I would imagine you could save at least 40 lbs. with these parts if you replaced all of them.

There are probably a few things I forgot about and a bunch of little things I didn't even mention that can knock another 30-50 lbs. off the car. As you can see if you want to get crazy, you can drop over 700 lbs! or depending on how you look at it...
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
4) Tubular front and rear cradles – Save 20+ lbs. each.
Well go ahead and get to making them already.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Farks Supercars

Drives: F1R 2010 Camaro
Im an 3620 lbs right now with a full cage and still have both stock seats and front and back crash bars in. Gonna see how much I can get that down this winter!! I thought about fiberglass doors, but roll down windows are too awesome.

I noticed your weight distribution at 53.5% on the front, im at 51% on the front.

Couple things for drag only cars:
Trunk mounted fuel cell
Front sway bar removed

BTW your trailing and toe arms work awesome!
Farks Supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #14
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Soon as someone makes an affordable front/rear tubular kmember, I"m all over it. The xtreme piece is way too pricy for me. v6 brake and 2pc rotors def save weight, but again, pricy as all get out...
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
BMR guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farks Supercars View Post
Im an 3620 lbs right now with a full cage and still have both stock seats and front and back crash bars in. Gonna see how much I can get that down this winter!! I thought about fiberglass doors, but roll down windows are too awesome.

I noticed your weight distribution at 53.5% on the front, im at 51% on the front.

Couple things for drag only cars:
Trunk mounted fuel cell
Front sway bar removed

BTW your trailing and toe arms work awesome!
Damn, 3620 with a cage and the heavy-ass seats still in the car! I guess I forget just how much the supercharger, heat exchanger, meth kit, etc. weighs. That is why our front end weights are so different.

Good call on the front sway bar, completely forgot about that...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
I think u should make a thread somewhere else for the light weight crash bar interest. I think you would get a lot of feedback.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
Farks Supercars

Drives: F1R 2010 Camaro
And we also have a 5 gallon intercooler tank in the trunk and the intercooler under the passenger side of the dash. So figure 65 lbs of just water.
Farks Supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Great info!
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
__.__@___ 1.__ | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
10camaross

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farks Supercars View Post
And we also have a 5 gallon intercooler tank in the trunk and the intercooler under the passenger side of the dash. So figure 65 lbs of just water.
info on weight reduction
10camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Hey what about the radiator? Would it be possible to go with a light weight aftermarket setup
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
I saw some were were some one pulled the dash out and cut some metal out some were..... dont remember, but I think it was like 30lb... and the windows could be replace with poly carb.. for 100 lb or more.. they have several aftermarket aluminum suspension parts that could save weight..
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #22
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodbar View Post
I saw some were were some one pulled the dash out and cut some metal out some were..... dont remember, but I think it was like 30lb... and the windows could be replace with poly carb.. for 100 lb or more.. they have several aftermarket aluminum suspension parts that could save weight..

There's a huge metal monstrosity behind the dash. I swiss cheesed mine, and cutout the glovebox loop when I removed the evap. Huge weight savings.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
BMR guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
Hey what about the radiator? Would it be possible to go with a light weight aftermarket setup
The radiator really isn't too heavy. With an aluminum core and plastic tank, you can't really get much lighter without reducing the size and compromising the cooling efficiency. Any smaller and the fans wouldn't fit either. On a dedicated drag car this may be an option but on a dual purpose roadrace car or street car it just wouldn't be practical.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
BMR guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodbar View Post
We cut off the glove box loop and some of the rear bracketry but the majority of the inner dash structure is necesarry for mounting the countless electronic modules under the dash and all the wire loom going to them. There has to be like 8-10 modules under there! Eliminating all those modules and the miles of wiring going to them might be the biggest weight savings of all!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
I weighed mine at the track last weekend: 3720.

Includes:
- Borla Touring exhaust.
- JBA Shorties and HF Cat midpipes.
- BMR 1" springs and rear sway (no front sway).
- TSW 18" Nurburgrings and 305 Mickey Thompson ET Street II Drag Radials.
- Fastlane Pipeline CAI.
- Underdrive pulley, VVT delete.
- Braille 21lb battery.
- Removed passenger seat.
- Misc: fuel rail cover, trunk foam, etc.
- 1/4 tank of gas.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote