Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
CamaroDIYking

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
DIY interior paint?

If I was to paint my speedometer and steering wheel bezel,
What grit sandpaper would you use? And would you use an adhesion promoter or a primer? Then to finish it, would you spray it with a clear coat?
I've painted a couple things myself but the paint doesn't seem to stick and chips easily. Any tips or tricks on how to keep the paint on?
Thanks

Lighting- LED footwell, grille, trunk, and engine lights done via DIY. LED dome, DRL, and tag lights.
Paint- Painted engine cover, steering wheel bezel, speedometer bezel, front bowtie, tail light bezels, wheel center caps.
Exterior lights- tinted tail lights and sidemarker lights.
Wheels- powdercoated stock RS 20' wheels black
Exhaust- Cat-back Dynomax Bullet Exhaust system with bullet muffler delete.
Misc- rear blackout kit from Big Worm Graphix, black side Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros, and rear Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros.
CamaroDIYking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
noeg92

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS Coupe
If you want to use black or white as a color you could use plastidip and you don't have to put a base coat plus you can revert it back whenever.
noeg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
CamaroDIYking

How does the plastidip work ? I've heard about it but never really looked into it

Lighting- LED footwell, grille, trunk, and engine lights done via DIY. LED dome, DRL, and tag lights.
Paint- Painted engine cover, steering wheel bezel, speedometer bezel, front bowtie, tail light bezels, wheel center caps.
Misc- rear blackout kit from Big Worm Graphix, black side Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros, and rear Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
You clean the part that you're going to spray and just spray the plasti dip. Don't sand. Spray a light first coat and heavy coats after and done. If you ever want to take it off, you just grab a piece and start pulling. If you did heavy coats at the beginning, it should all come off in one piece. Pretty easy to use.

Having said that, I wouldn't really use it in the interior though. Plasti dip has a rubbery feel to it that I don't know if I'd like in the interior. If you want that smooth feel, you're going to have to paint and clear the parts you're going to do.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
CamaroDIYking

Oh ok. I appreciate that! I want to paint my engine cover too and I think plastidip might work for that. How close is it to the factory white ?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDIYking View Post
Oh ok. I appreciate that! I want to paint my engine cover too and I think plastidip might work for that. How close is it to the factory white ?
If you paint the engine cover you need to make sure to use high heat paint. I don't know if plastidip can be used on an engine cover due to the high temperatures.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
noeg92

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDIYking View Post
I've never used the white so I wouldn't be able to tell you, but for engine cover I suggest you use spray paint instead.
noeg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
GARYSSS

Drives: 2010 2SSRS M6 Rally Yellow
I painted my engine cover with regular Krylon paint and have not had any problems with the heat.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
+1 on the krylon paint. I have their red matches up to victory red really well and the "fusion" paint bonds to the plastic really well. I use up to 1200 grit and then put about 7 coats of thr krylon the 3-5 coats of clear. Usually turns out flawless.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: '11 1SS/RS, '13 Cruze
Ive painted several things such as my interior and engine covers. Youll need 600-800 grit sandpaper,take the shine off of it. Wash with soap and water and alcohol. Ive used Rustolem with zero issues. Primer (2-3 coats) Paint (3 coats not thick not thin coats) Clear (3 coats the same) install no sooner then 24 hours. Be careful for a week, takes 5-7 days to fully adhere. Looks flawless. Get asked constantly who did my paint work at car shows.

Plastidip is a matte finish and ha.s a yellow tint compared to SW. I dont think it belongs on the interior. It can be used under the hood. Its rated for temps up to 200*, the engine cover does not get that hot. Same with regular paint, you dont need high temp paint.

Heres some things Ive done. All the pink and white minus the door inserts I did myself last winter

My latest project, my plenum cover yet installed

Gloss black oil cap with reflective bowtie vinyl

This was my other Camaro that I traded in. Thats all paint work, cgm with hot pink flames.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I wouldn't plasti dip anything. It comes off to easy. Put in the extra work and enjoy.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Apologies to the OP not trying to thread jack, but I thought that these two (adhesion promoter and primer) were the same? What's the difference between the two?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Adhesion promoter helps paint stick to plastic parts.

Tags
interior paint, painted interior, speedometer bezel, steering wheel bezel