Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Advice on getting into the Automotive field

So let me start off by saying that i am young, i am only 16 years old (Junior in HS). I currently work as a cashier at a restaurant but i would like to move into something more towards my career. I have been around cars my whole life. Really caught interest when me and my brother helped restore my dads 73 camaro. Now i am basically the mechanic for out 2010 SS. I am also inrolled in the auto tech programs at my school but i want to go further. I would like to get a job or intership at a shop or dealership. But the problem is my age and lack of professional skill. How would you suggest i get into the field? I would like to end up going to college for mechanical engineering and at best work for GM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
So let me start off by saying that i am young, i am only 16 years old (Junior in HS). I currently work as a cashier at a restaurant but i would like to move into something more towards my career. I have been around cars my whole life. Really caught interest when me and my brother helped restore my dads 73 camaro. Now i am basically the mechanic for out 2010 SS. I am also inrolled in the auto tech programs at my school but i want to go further. I would like to get a job or intership at a shop or dealership. But the problem is my age and lack of professional skill. How would you suggest i get into the field? I would like to end up going to college for mechanical engineering and at best work for GM.
lot bratt, go out & wash the cars & let them trust you, also get in to a parts store. some will send you to school

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
73camarolt

The problem is getting them to hire me. It's almost impossible to find a dealership or auto parts store who wants a 16 year old kid
Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Try to find a job detailing the cars at a dealer or somewhere. When you graduate high school, start looking for jobs at shops where they may let you do some of the more basic jobs to start. And yes, in this economy, that may be hard to find, so it may take a lot of looking. If you want to work as a technician, you'll definitely want to go to some kind of technical school.

If you want to be a mechanical engineer, and if you have the means to go into a mechanical engineering program right out of high school, do that. (If not, do the above until you have saved enough money).

Start looking into college programs now while you are still in high school, and also look into as many scholarships as you think might be available to you if that is necessary. The guidance counselor at your school is probably the best place to start for that kind of info. Set up a meeting with him or her sometime (soon) and discuss your career goals. That is what they are there for.

Also, be aware that a mechanical engineering program will be VERY intensive in math and science, and you will need a very good mind in those areas just to survive (College engineering programs have a high dropout rate because of this). And you are going to want to start NOW on that. Take as much math and science (physics, chemistry, calculus) and at as high of level as you possibly can at your high school, and make damn sure to keep your grades up, particularly in those classes. Any serious school with a major mechanical engineering program will be looking very closely at that part of your transcript.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Don't do it! Lol!

Sent from my insanely great iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Try to find a job detailing the cars at a dealer or somewhere. When you graduate high school, start looking for jobs at shops where they may let you do some of the more basic jobs to start. And yes, in this economy, that may be hard to find, so it may take a lot of looking. If you want to work as a technician, you'll definitely want to go to some kind of technical school.

If you want to be a mechanical engineer, and if you have the means to go into a mechanical engineering program right out of high school, do that. (If not, do the above until you have saved enough money).

Start looking into college programs now while you are still in high school, and also look into as many scholarships as you think might be available to you if that is necessary. The guidance counselor at your school is probably the best place to start for that kind of info. Set up a meeting with him or her sometime (soon) and discuss your career goals. That is what they are there for.

Also, be aware that a mechanical engineering program will be VERY intensive in math and science, and you will need a very good mind in those areas just to survive (College engineering programs have a high dropout rate because of this). And you are going to want to start NOW on that. Take as much math and science (physics, chemistry, calculus) and at as high of level as you possibly can at your high school, and make damn sure to keep your grades up, particularly in those classes. Any serious school with a major mechanical engineering program will be looking very closely at that part of your transcript.

Thanks for all the great info! As of right now I am in Calclus as a junior. I am playing on taking physics next year. What other Maths would you recommend?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
Don't do it! Lol!

Sent from my insanely great iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
If you send me a supercharger then I won't but seriously why should I not do it?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
The manual field is better than the auto field...we all know that!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
The manual field is better than the auto field...we all know that!
Haha MANual field is a lot more fun
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
When I was 16 I wanted to be an automotive designer. I am 38 now and I am a goat roper and fruit farmer. You just never know what is going to happen.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
73camarolt

Yea I know life happens. But this is something I love and I am going to try to get into. L
Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Thanks for all the great info! As of right now I am in Calclus as a junior. I am playing on taking physics next year. What other Maths would you recommend?
AP Calculus was the highest math class my high school had, so I don't know what would be beyond that at the high school level. If you are there as a junior, you're on the right path.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
No reason to take beyond AP calc 1 in high school. Just get very good grades, participate in clubs/sports, and do well on standardized tests and you'll be able to get in pretty much anywhere. You won't have to declare a major right out of high school and 99% of the time lower-division engineering/physics courses are not restricted to engineering majors so you can round out the math and science you need once you get there. The actual difficulty of classes you're taking will be more important for grad school. Don't just jump right into it though. Make sure you experience other options your freshman year. Cars are fun and can make for a great career, but it can also be a great hobby along with any other profession you might enjoy.

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 11-10-2011 at 06:07 AM.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
It is great that you actually have some sort of focus at 16 years old. My problem was that I had no idea what I wanted to do at 16 so I just made it up as I went. What area of the automotive field do you want to work in? Engineering? The military is a great place to get paid for getting training and experience. Any MOS in engineering or mechanics would be a great option. If you went that route you could even do basic training this coming summer (between your Junior and Senior year) and then go go forward after you graduate. In addition to the training and experience you can start college while you are in the military (mostly or completely free) and then have free money to complete your studies after you discharge. By the time you are in your mid 20s you have a degree, several years of applicable experience, and you are a veteran. That is a nice resume.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote