Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #26
Shadow Camaro

Drives: Rally Yellow 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Why does the picture look like it has a a turbo?

Rotofab CAI, SW LT Headers and High Flow Cats, SW Cat-Back, Eibach Pro rear wheel spacers, SS Grill Insert, Street Scene Front Splitter, Blacked out rear emblem, blacked out bezels, plasti-dipped lower bumper, plasti-dipped rims with yellow pinstriping, dyed interior stitching yellow, 2x Kicker CVR 12's w/ 1200 watt kicker amp. MORE TO COME!
Shadow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
It looks like a pro Charger to me
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #28
Blade

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
To up the boost is just a pulley change... However ever I'm wondering if they are only doing 435 HP due to the fueling issue...
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac1granger33 View Post
isn the price a bit high for 435Hp and 360Tq? i mean for like athousand more you can go turbo and have more then that?
Where did you find the price I don't see anything.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #30
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Camaro View Post
Why does the picture look like it has a a turbo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
It looks like a pro Charger to me
because it's a centrifugal supercharger. this technology is nothing new...
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #31
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Where did you find the price I don't see anything.
Its in the market place already for $5590 !

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181570
Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #32
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
because it's a centrifugal supercharger. this technology is nothing new...
Vortech went to a self-contained, self-oiling system so it now looks more like a ProCharger unit... Used to have oil lines running to and from a Vortech unit...

my old stang... you can see the oil feed line on the left:

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #33
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Vortech went to a self-contained, self-oiling system so it now looks more like a ProCharger unit... Used to have oil lines running to and from a Vortech unit...

my old stang... you can see the oil feed line on the left:
looks like a hamster tunnel maze
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #34
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Very Cool! It looks like the vortech v5 that was used on the trd scion tc's or a vortech v3. Hopefully its a v3 so there won't be any need to run oil lines.

Also, it's interesting to note that the D3 supercharger system for the LLT also made 435bhp and 410tq http://www.d3cadillac.com/feature-ve...d3-cts-3-6di-s. I talked to D3 a while ago and they mentioned that to run more boost than reccomended will require the crank pulley to be pinned to the crank snout. Since both systems use the stock pulley, I'm guessing 435bhp @ X psi is the safe mark between the crank issue and fueling. All V8 supercharger systems have a crank pinning kit, I don't see one in the pic for this but hopefully its included.
Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #35
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
looks nice. cost seems pretty reasonable to me..especially since you could run any LT's and catbacks you may have in place.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #36
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Going to 400hp + will require some major suspension and brake upgrades. What do you think guys ? Worth it or not ?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #37
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Signed up
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Going to 400hp + will require some major suspension and brake upgrades. What do you think guys ? Worth it or not ?
It might but I have already upgraded to OEM Brembos, and suspension will be easy.

This setup is what we have been waiting for V8 power now you only have to decided is it worth spending the $6k for the system or just trade up to a V8 SS. I myself will add the system IMHO a SC V6 that can keep up with a V8 SS would be cool not to menton suprise the hell out of V8 guys.

Sean
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #39
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech 'Charged 06 Mustang GT
They are using a Vortech V-3 unit, so no oil lines. Plus, you get the unparalleled efficiency, reliability, and longevity that you can only get from a Vortech Supercharger.

According to the literature I read, they are offering the systems in black or polished finishes.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #40
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Anything's worth it if you want it. Just like the turbo guys now, I'm sure you'll want better traction and more forward thrust with less vertical movement to take advantage of all that power. As far as comparing the price of the system to turbo systems currently available for our vehicles, I'd recommend comparing these prices against the prices of superchargers and turbos for the SS. Seems to me that this is a good price for a supercharger for the amount of power it's providing.
TexasCamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #41
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Personally I would like to see some real life chassis dyno numbers before I would talk about the amount of power... the dyno sheet they show definitely is an engine dyno sheet... makes me wonder if they simply took say the number off of this engine dyno sheet, plugged some of the numbers into Excel and made their own baseline:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90576

makes me wonder if IPF is just "doing the math" to come up with their 435 HP.... ??? Yes, they have a car... yes, they had it to SEMA... no, that doesn't mean it actually runs...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #42
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamaro5 View Post
Anything's worth it if you want it. Just like the turbo guys now, I'm sure you'll want better traction and more forward thrust with less vertical movement to take advantage of all that power. As far as comparing the price of the system to turbo systems currently available for our vehicles, I'd recommend comparing these prices against the prices of superchargers and turbos for the SS. Seems to me that this is a good price for a supercharger for the amount of power it's providing.
+1

Turbo's for the LLT's run close to $2k more than this kit. And you have less chances of melting the turbo or detonating your motor. Basically it's good reliable power with hardly no maintenance compared to a turbo kit. And the price is on pare with the Mustang kit's which is a better comparison.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #43
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
+1

Turbo's for the LLT's run close to $2k more than this kit. And you have less chances of melting the turbo or detonating your motor. Basically it's good reliable power with hardly no maintenance compared to a turbo kit. And the price is on pare with the Mustang kit's which is a better comparison.
Where are you guys getting your numbers, the proven RX Performance base twin turbo kit is only $5999 for the same amount of hp and more. I think the sts is near the same price too.

You are correct in the fact that centrifugal superchargers may have less maintainence IF a problem occurs since there are less parts but there is also a reason why exhaust driven superchargers are used in most factory vehicles. The parts for turbos are cheap to replace and turbos last just as long as centrifugals if treated right. Also power can be upped on a turbo at the push of a button while average centri systems need a pulley swap, new belt ect.

I do like the ease of installation of a centrifugal system though, especially ones that run with the stock belt and have a self contained oiling system.
Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #44
Blade

Quote:
Personally I would like to see some real life chassis dyno numbers before I would talk about the amount of power... the dyno sheet they show definitely is an engine dyno sheet... makes me wonder if they simply took say the number off of this engine dyno sheet, plugged some of the numbers into Excel and made their own baseline:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90576

makes me wonder if IPF is just "doing the math" to come up with their 435 HP.... ??? Yes, they have a car... yes, they had it to SEMA... no, that doesn't mean it actually runs...
Well we have all learned on this board that Dyno Sheets arent everything. I really want to see these cars run and post up some vids and time slips. Hopefully IPF will do that soon, before winter sets in.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #45
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
I can tell you that IPF is partly-owned by one quite well-known German tuning company which I heard mostly good things of. I even use parts of them in my Speedster. Usually I rely on their products, but I am also aware that this Supercharger Kit is kind of unique in the moment. I am VERY interested in it, but I wait for a couple of months to read some reviews and experiences.

Basically I am a Turbo guy, but since I've been waiting for a smart turbo kit for two years now, I just got tired. I'd never install a turbocharger at the bottom of my Camaro, since I use it all year (also in winter) here in snowy Austria. The turbo would be unprotected against dirt, salt (from de-icing the streets in winter) and mechanical impacts, I am pretty sure I'd brake it within half a year. Also I only read about problems with increased boosts, so all the currently offered turbo kits don't make sense to me, even though I'd prefer a turbo over a supercharger. The turbo produces a lot more torque which I personally like, but which is also stressing the power train and clutch. Bonus of the supercharger is a quicker spool since it is powered by belt and not by exhausts. I am waiting for the European pricing of the IPF kit and will probably get one then, maybe next spring.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #46
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf1980 View Post
I can tell you that IPF is partly-owned by one quite well-known German tuning company which I heard mostly good things of. I even use parts of them in my Speedster. Usually I rely on their products, but I am also aware that this Supercharger Kit is kind of unique in the moment. I am VERY interested in it, but I wait for a couple of months to read some reviews and experiences.

Basically I am a Turbo guy, but since I've been waiting for a smart turbo kit for two years now, I just got tired. I'd never install a turbocharger at the bottom of my Camaro, since I use it all year (also in winter) here in snowy Austria. The turbo would be unprotected against dirt, salt (from de-icing the streets in winter) and mechanical impacts, I am pretty sure I'd brake it within half a year. Also I only read about problems with increased boosts, so all the currently offered turbo kits don't make sense to me, even though I'd prefer a turbo over a supercharger. The turbo produces a lot more torque which I personally like, but which is also stressing the power train and clutch. Bonus of the supercharger is a quicker spool since it is powered by belt and not by exhausts. I am waiting for the European pricing of the IPF kit and will probably get one then, maybe next spring.
I think a lot of people on Camaro5 had the same concerns. I know I did!

I didn't want to do a remote mount, because we do regular drives to the snow in the winter, and the roads are all de-iced with heavy salt. Also, the car is daily driven.

This supercharger kit seems to address those issues. Low boost, and it's nice and safe under the hood. I'd like a turbo, but this kit seems to make decent power while maintaing daily drivability, and it has a warranty.

I wonder though, if they'll offer options for more power. I'd like it to be a bit more powerful than 435 bhp. 400 RWHP would be great!
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #47
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Where are you guys getting your numbers, the proven RX Performance base twin turbo kit is only $5999 for the same amount of hp and more. I think the sts is near the same price too.

You are correct in the fact that centrifugal superchargers may have less maintainence IF a problem occurs since there are less parts but there is also a reason why exhaust driven superchargers are used in most factory vehicles. The parts for turbos are cheap to replace and turbos last just as long as centrifugals if treated right. Also power can be upped on a turbo at the push of a button while average centri systems need a pulley swap, new belt ect.

I do like the ease of installation of a centrifugal system though, especially ones that run with the stock belt and have a self contained oiling system.
You are right, I had the "install and tune" price confused with just buying the turbo kit price. I sent Tracy a PM asking for an update on his future LLT parts. And in there he wrote the break down of the kit. And equals about the same as the SC kit.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #48
One Sick Camaro
"The one" coming soon...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 09 HHR SS
signed up seems good
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #49
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Here are some replies I got from them

Retail price on the kit is $5600 and it is available with a supplemental 3/36k warranty for an additional $375.

Thanks,

Jason

Horsepower numbers are at the crank. 5-6 hour install with no modifications. We utilize our tuning technology with our IPF tuner (more information on our Facebook page).

Thanks,

Jason
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #50
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
What exactly does this Warranty cover?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote