Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
BuntaFujiwara

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Rice burners 2014 Camaro SS 1LE

Hey all, I picked up my 1LE about 2 weeks ago and have been meaning to start a build thread but didn't really get around to it until now.

Brief history: I was really into muscle cars as a kid and that did last for a while but over time i somehow lost interest in them and switched over to being a japanese car fan boy. I appreciate and respect all types of cars but have only owned imports in my driving life (a measly 6 years). Nothing too great until I got my last car which was literally imported straight from Japan, right hand drive and everything (yay Canada!)

1997 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Version 3- it had the big hood scoop (AKA orphan catcher), 2 foot tall wing, foldgers coffee can sized exhaust, flashy wheels, and i loved it! A pretty well respected car locally but of course there was the occasional stang bro/old muscle head who looked down on it. Not understanding that the way the car looked was functional OEM Subaru design (mostly), and underestimating it's performance until they saw nothing but the tail lights.

This thing was basically a road legal rally car. 300 hp out of 2 L turbocharged 4 cylinder motor, mated to a 5 speed 4.11 ratio gearbox and it weighed about 2800 lbs with AC and power steering. Performance wise it was pretty stock aside from a full turbo back exhaust, boost controller, and some suspension work. It's nothing impressive for anyone who judges a car by hp alone, but as a package it delivered really well. The thing was a little rocket and basically different from my camaro in every way, both are very enjoyable cars to drive. I was dead even with an E92 BMW M3, walked all over 350Zs and G37, beat Audi S5, mustang 5.0, R32 skyline GTR and GTST, new STis etc... obviously was pulled on by a C63 AMG which probably wasn't stock, I got whooped. So that's the idea... might not sound believable but at 3500 ft above sea level the big heavy V8s feel like slugs. Oh and did I mention they were all from a roll? (All races were on closed private roads)

Pics:

Why the 180 degree change in direction?
Being open minded I considered all my options, from the Scion FRS to the Mustang. My only requirement was it needed to be RWD because I've never owned one and in order to be a true automotive enthusiast I felt like it was time. Anyways the Camaro was never even an option for me, I was set on getting a Subaru BRZ until I thought about it and came to terms with the fact that there aren't a lot of winding roads where I live and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the BRZ the way it was meant to be. So when I went to test drive a regular 1ss with the dual mode exhaust I loved it. The sound of the V8, the exhaust crackling, and being able to have power at any rpm won won huge points for me. My previous car was a SLUG until 3500 rpm and I absolutely hated that.

However I hated the way it felt on turns. In my brief test drive I could really feel the huge difference in weight and the sloppiness of the car. No offense to anyone who owns an SS but it was a big deal for me my previous car was so stiff (cusco coilovers, loved it but hated it). Then I drove I the 1LE and it was a perfect balance for me. Great planted feel, handles it's weight well and even tricks me into forgetting it's obese. I like it. Doesn't push me back into the seat like my old car did but thats what FI is for right?

Anyways onto the cell phone pics!

When I got it:

Just had to try this lol (obviously not mounted)

After a fresh polish and opticoat pro:

Why polish a brand new car you ask?

Because of the complimentary dealer installed swirls:

Looked like a mirror after!

That's all for now, I'll update this post with better pics and detail soon!
BuntaFujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Glad you finally came to your senses. Nice ride!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
ModBargains

Drives: Camaro RS/SS, 996TT, E90 335i
Im a Subaru person and you just blew my mind. Seen a lot of body conversions but never a true 22b. Thats fantastic.
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote