Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #26
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
This is the response I got from another member who tried it:

"honestly I think it made the drone in the low rpms even more noticiable. The resenator delete gave the exhaust a meaner louder more aggressive sound but it does come at a price. Hope this helps!"
Need a resonator one way or the other
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Need a resonator one way or the other
Well, yea, that was just in response to some members suggestions on doing a resonator delete.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #28
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Drives: 10 SS/RS 6M Blk/Blk Silver Stripes
I'm having the same problem with my SS. I just installed a full kooks exhaust system and it drones. I hope the trunk sound deadening works. Im going to go that route if it works for you.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
-Hurst Shifter, with custom Speed Dawg
Dennis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis SS View Post
I'm having the same problem with my SS. I just installed a full kooks exhaust system and it drones. I hope the trunk sound deadening works. Im going to go that route if it works for you.
I pretty much finished the sound deadening mats today, but I'm putting sound absorbing foam on top of that tomorrow, it got too cold to continue today. I dont expect it to fully kill the problem but it should help and make my sound system better, which is why I started in the first place. I'm waiting for "Mach" to do his Helmoltz pipe. That's the solution I've got my money on. If you'd like to do the sound deadening though, I'd recommend using RaamAudio.com. I bought FatMat before I heard about them. I got the peel and stick foam from Raam. If I would've known, I wouldve just dealt with them.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #30
Saint Alban

I finished the sound dampening over the weekend, but haven't driven much since then due to all the rain we've been having. I drove it a little after I was finished though and it seems like it helped some. Not by a huge noticeable difference. If you're gonna sound dampen for exhaust drone, I'd say you'd have to get your entire car done (i only did from the back seats to the trunk) to see a drastic change. Maybe i didnt use the best material though. Seems to me you'd have to dampen so much that there is no longer any outside noise whatsoever coming into the cabin. Ive seen a thread where this has been done (i think its titled "a little bump in my trunk"). So you'd have to do a lot more than what I did, which could get expensive. Again, it's not so much the sound, but the vibration the drone makes at the frequency it's in. The helmholtz pipe should cancel out that frequency. Gonna do that once I get confirmation that it worked.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #31
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
How much weight do you think you added to the car?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #32
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Here is the MRT 2.0 culprit...

This is at around 2150 RPM at 75 MPH on the highway tonight. 28 inch helmholz pipes will solve the 120HZ 83DB drone. I already got my pipes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390364088873...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I ordered three of these. I will be installing these sometime next week. Stay tuned....
Any updates ? I've already installed the fatmat but that really didn't do much .. made the stereo sound better but nothing for drone .

I'll subscribe and keep checking back .
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #33
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
How much weight do you think you added to the car?
The FatMat according to shipping confirmation was 8 lbs. The ensolite foam was 4 lbs. Plus I got more FatMat but it was thinner and a smaller amount so I'd say another 4 lbs. So 16 lbs. I believe the stock exhausts were about 35 lbs. and the MRTs are 18 all together.

-35 + 18 = -17 + 16 = -1
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee sting View Post
Any updates ? I've already installed the fatmat but that really didn't do much .. made the stereo sound better but nothing for drone .

I'll subscribe and keep checking back .
If all goes well, Mach is supposed to be trying it today.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
bee sting

Maybe he'll post sometime this weekend .
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #36
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Here is my cheap o way of fixing the problem with my mrts v2

I bought some of that egg crate foam from walmart and tossed it in the trunk. I ended up buying another bag of it and doubled it down. Then as a test I stuck a few of our winter blankets we used off of our bed into the trunk. Drone cut down 50% but my wife is going nuts trying to find the blankets. It worked so well I don't want to tell her I got them. lol. I still get some coming from the back seat so I need to pull the seat and add some of the stuff you guys are talking about.

My fix makes the trunk useless but I don't carry anything in there anyhow. It doesn't weigh much either.

Not the best solution but if I ever break down I will be very warm and comfortable while I wait for the tow truck.

Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #37
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
I guess it was'nt that bad to me.Injen, shorties and MRT V2. Key awas the resonated x pipe as I have said before, with or without the stock resonators, drone, very litttle, and more a very low performance growl, was the same as the magnaflow mufflers I had. All these exhausts will drone a bit, nature of the beast. And you dont add a bunch of wieght to the back, but the two may just do the trick.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Sorry I haven't kept you guys in the loop. Due to work and thanksgiving I wasn't able to start this helmholz thing up yet. But this Saturday I am going to my dads shop. He has a lift. I will take pictures and do a DIY. I will post my initial findings on Sat for sure!!!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #39
Saint Alban

Quote:
Sorry I haven't kept you guys in the loop. Due to work and thanksgiving I wasn't able to start this helmholz thing up yet. But this Saturday I am going to my dads shop. He has a lift. I will take pictures and do a DIY. I will post my initial findings on Sat for sure!!!
Looking forward to it.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #40
bee sting

Thanks for the Update !
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #42
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Yes awesome thread. From the research I have done, the MRT2.0 eliminates the drone over the 1.0. So it's good to know there is drone to contend with.

I'm not to wise about exhausts. What's the difference between H and X pipes? Other than shape. Would one be better than the other in reducing drone. Looks like H pipes have better low end power; but appear larger and more difficult to install with limited space.

Also, is there a specific x pipe for the camaro or do people use the generic one? Where in the exhaust line does it get installed?
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Yes awesome thread. From the research I have done, the MRT2.0 eliminates the drone over the 1.0. So it's good to know there is drone to contend with.

I'm not to wise about exhausts. What's the difference between H and X pipes? Other than shape. Would one be better than the other in reducing drone. Looks like H pipes have better low end power; but appear larger and more difficult to install with limited space.

Also, is there a specific x pipe for the camaro or do people use the generic one? Where in the exhaust line does it get installed?
Typically for the V6, the traditional X pipe causes rasp...so when people want to reduce drone and/or rasp they will add a Resonated X pipe (essentially a muffler, with an 'X' shaped core and perforated on the inside as well) in place of where the stock H pipe is. It pretty much always helps quite a bit, but it can also muffle the exhaust tone some so there is a bit of a trade-off.

Good luck Mach....may want to do what SOLO does and make the ends adjustable so if your first attempt isn't perfect, you can make a simple change and correct it.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #44
Mach

Well............. It took 4 hours but I got the pipes in. I got so lucky picking out the right mandrel bend sizes. These pipes are made by summit. I made them 29 inches long. I was able to package them super tight around the mufflers. Here are the pipes they fit perfect...

Top of the muffler...

Bottom...

And I have to say the drone is GONE!!!!! What ended up happening is the really deep bass drone got eliminated. The stuff that drove me crazy at highway speeds (70-75mph)

Here is the before..

Notice how the 100-120 Hertz is flat now...
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #45
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
AWESOME job, glad to hear it worked out for you. Looks like you found a small side job......

MRT owners can send you their mufflers and you can install the pipes and ship them back...........
Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #46
Saint Alban

Quote:
Well............. It took 4 hours but I got the pipes in. I got so lucky picking out the right mandrel bend sizes. These pipes are made by summit. I made them 29 inches long. I was able to package them super tight around the mufflers. Here are the pipes they fit perfect...

Top of the muffler...

Bottom...

And I have to say the drone is GONE!!!!! What ended up happening is the really deep bass drone got eliminated. The stuff that drove me crazy at highway speeds (70-75mph)

Here is the before..

Notice how the 100-120 Hertz is flat now...
Great job. I've got all three pipes ready to go. Looks like I'll try to get this done when I can.

That is 29" from the weld to the cap, right? Any tips on getting this done before I try myself? I dont want to screw this up. I'm probably gonna cut the pipes myself to the lengths I need but gonna have to have a muffler shop do the welding. I haven't worked with pipes since high school. I do remember not to measure from the inside or outside of the bend but from the middle. You basically cut the two U pipes into J's, cut the bend of the last U in half to use those elbows and weld them to the ends of the J's. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm just trying to spell it out for myself, I need all the instruction I can get.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #47
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
Great job. I've got all three pipes ready to go. Looks like I'll try to get this done when I can.

That is 29" from the weld to the cap, right? Any tips on getting this done before I try myself? I dont want to screw this up. I'm probably gonna cut the pipes myself to the lengths I need but gonna have to have a muffler shop do the welding. I haven't worked with pipes since high school. I do remember not to measure from the inside or outside of the bend but from the middle. You basically cut the two U pipes into J's, cut the bend of the last U in half to use those elbows and weld them to the ends of the J's. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm just trying to spell it out for myself, I need all the instruction I can get.
Yeah, its 29 inches from the weld to the cap, down the middle of the pipe. I am going to do some solid highway driving tomorrow. (250 miles). So I will have plenty of time to take more scope clips and get a good feel for how 29 inches is working out. Or if we need to go longer on the pipes.

I just got my hands on a huge sawsall and put the pipes on a table vise. The way you explained the cutting is the way I did it. I would recommend the shop cut the pipes because it takes some test fitting%2

Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #48
Saint Alban

Sounds good. And sounds like a long drive. I am excited about this but I'll hold off until you're satisfied with the length. Since the new pipes are so close, they're not knocking against the mufflers or the spare tire well are they?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #49
Mach

The highway drive was a success!! According to my scope app I lost about 10db. It doesn't sound like much but 10db is actually ALOT! My ears enjoyed it too. The drone at 75mph is totally gone! The MRT 2.0 now sounds just a bit louder then stock at cruise. But its still loud as hell when you step on it!!

The only time I got a drone is going uphill while keeping my speed constant. But that is still about 10 db quieter. Uphill before hit 86db now the highest I got was 76db I am totally happy with this mod.

Cruise at 75mph before was 82db now I get 72db....

This to me is the perfect exhaust.. It sounds mean like the MRT2.0 but 0 drone. I am able to listen to music at a quieter volume and have a conversation without the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #50
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT Red Rock Coupe
GREAT JOB!!! I salute you, Sir, on a job well done.

Another true believer in the Helmholtz cult.
Red Rock Mafia
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote