Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
Oil change caused CEL?

i've had my camaro for about 2 months now, couple weeks after i bought it i got a K&N aircharger cai. installed it myself, easy enough. bout two weeks out of nowhere the cel came on. i didn't take off the negative battery terminal during installation. So i disconnected the battery, unplugged MAF sensor plug, waited a few minutes, then plugged sensor back in and connected battery. started car and cel went away, only had to open and close windows. now it's about 3-4 weeks later and i just got my first oil change yesterday because i'm about to put more miles on the car in the next week than the odometer says right now. picked it up from dealer yesterday after work and everything was good, couple hours later was coming home from class and cel came on. FML i don't need this crap right before i'm going to be driving it 2000+ miles. so this morning i woke up early and disconnected the battery and maf sensor plug, tightened everything up and the cel is gone, but when i first started the engine made this almost like gasping noise like it wasn't breathing right for like 3 seconds then it went away and i let it run for a couple mins and no cel and no noises. so do i have to disconnect the battery everytime i get an oil change or when cel comes on? just sounds like more work i shouldn't be doing. tried to contact k&n but they wanted the error codes but light went away so i don't think dealer or autozone would be able to see what the error was anymore. any take on this? thanks
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
It's not likely the oil change that did it, it most likely has to do with the CAI. K&N CAI's are known for throwing CEL's, do a search I'm sure you'll find some info. I’d suggest cleaning the MAF sensosr (see link below for product) as it may have some oil buildup on it from the K&N filter, then reset the CEL. Hopefully that does the trick, my guess is it will. If not get the code the next time it happens and call K&N.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...entifier=36011

It's also a good idea to have a scan tool for yourself so you don't have to run to auto zone for the scan. They are quite cheap and always good to have in a pinch.

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...=pd_sim_auto_2

Last edited by nyrfan; 11-16-2011 at 09:32 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Order a cold air inductions intake and save yourself the hassle.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
Order a cold air inductions intake and save yourself the hassle.
- I love mine!!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Juiced1

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Stop by a local auto parts store. They can usually scan them for free and at least tell you what the code is. Some over oiled filters can cause a CEL as the oil from the filter gets on the MAF sensor. On a brand new filter that doesn't happen often but it could be the problem.
We carry all the hottest brands for your Gen5 and Gen6 Camaros! Get awesome deals on Corsa, SLP, ARH, SW, Whipple, Kooks, Procharger, CAI, K&N, Rtoto-Fab and much more! Call us for your CAMARO5 discount today!
224-63-JUICE OR INFO@JUICEDMOTORSPORTS.COM
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
usafboy

does k&n make a dry filter that'll fit these intakes? rather than selling or trading in the whole intake, if the small amount of oil in the filter is the problem, then why not just change the filter???
Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
does k&n make a dry filter that'll fit these intakes? rather than selling or trading in the whole intake, if the small amount of oil in the filter is the problem, then why not just change the filter???
Not that I know of. Again, try cleaning the MAF sensor, I'd bet you'll be ok after that.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Don't think it could from the oil change unless thet over-filled.

I might be wrong, but I thought I heard K&N was offering to trade one of their CAI or filters for another that's not causing the CEL's.

I'd try contacting them.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
usafboy

i did but they want to know the exact error codes that i'm getting but i already disconnected the batterry and reconnected it and the lights gone so i can't get the code since the lights gone now. i'm prolly going get a scanner so if it happens i can get the code on the spot and clear it and then contact k&n to try and get it swapped for the typhoon version. i don't wanna buy a whole new intake so i'm pretty much just waiting for the light to come on and then see what happens then
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
K&N has two different versions for these cars. I would bet you have the black-tubed version and the code is the car is running on the lean-side(if you do a search, you'll find a few where they posted their codes). Trade it for the Typhoon from K&N and the issue will go away. I had one on mine for a year without issue, so I doubt it's an over-oiling issue on the filter and instead the system is pushing too much air.
And I doubt you'll get any improvement from cleaning the maf.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Stop by a local auto parts store. They can usually scan them for free and at least tell you what the code is. Some over oiled filters can cause a CEL as the oil from the filter gets on the MAF sensor. On a brand new filter that doesn't happen often but it could be the problem.
When it returns get the code here.
You can also get a good inexpensive code scanner at Harbor Freight.com
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
usafboy

its almost a week now and code appeared out of nowhere, i bought a scanner from autozone bcus now i'm 1000 miles away from home and wanted to be able to check it if it happened again. code was P2179, system too lean off idle bank #2. When i started the engine it revved up higher than normal right away then calmed down, after i erased code and babied the car home it felt like when i hit the gas i could feel it through the whole car more than normal. it could be the colder weather but didn't feel quite normal. i'm going to send code to K&N and see what they can do for me. hopefully i can get it swapped for the typhoon version instead. thoughts?