Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
Jeremy@AirLift

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Air suspension is always a great choice! You get excellent handling characteristics, superior ride quality and full height adjustability. Let me know if you have any questions! By the way I am not here to sell anything, just trying to help

Jeremy@AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #27
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I suggest you get the full Hotchkis track pack, it is really is a great complete kit and we install a TON of these. Unless your tracking the car this track pack will really make you happy without breaking your wallet. can't beat it and the install is a breeze.
Dylan – 55Designs said it all for us and he’s not on our payroll. Thanks 55Designs!

The track pack is a good kit for what you’re asking for out of your Camaro.

We took our Track Pack equipped 5th gen Camaro to a track day where we were able to drive a stock Camaro and then get into our Camaro right away. This video shows how the drivers feel the changes with the Hotchkis Track Pack.

...and also these other tests of Hotchkis products.
http://www.camaroperformers.com/cama...ASwfIBL7hWCeCO

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...aro-track-pack
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #28
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Also I wish the experts on here would explain the full remedy to curing wheel hop. Honestly the old replace control arm thing is not the full cure. Wheel hop is the vertical movement of the wheel not lateral or front to rear. Proper dampening is also required whether from tire pressure with stock tires or drags, springs and shocks/struts or coilover dampening adjustment is also required in order to really cure wheel hop. Right now I have trailing arms and toe link arm upgrades and at 23000 miles the stock suspension is going south and now again my rear hops like it did before my arms upgrade.
Thanks to our supporters for the kind words about our products. The Hotchkis equipped Camaros do everything a bit better than stock Camaros. We’ve had success at reducing wheel-hop under hard launches with our Chassis Max undercar brace. Our brace reduces wheel-hop quite a bit...so much that Lingenfelter uses it on all of their big-power cars including the world's fastest 5th gen drag car.

The best way to combat the wheel hop is to switch to a solid axle, but then you’ll be defeating the awesome handling benefits of the IRS. We choose to have the car more fun to drive around corners better, but as a whole, we’ll keep working on off-the-line performance too.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #29
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
One thing and a question to the mfg's also. 2012 has FE4 suspension with a new design rear bar and end links so bars from 2011 wont work. When might they be out ?
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
All of the sets of the '12 lower control arms have actually retained the same tab that the sway bars on 2010 and 2011 bolt too. As such the 10 and 11 bars should work with the 12 control arms, but you will either need to track down a set of 10/11 endlinks or purchase 10/11 endlinks from the vendor as the endlinks are completely different from 11 to 12.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #31
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
All of the sets of the '12 lower control arms have actually retained the same tab that the sway bars on 2010 and 2011 bolt too. As such the 10 and 11 bars should work with the 12 control arms, but you will either need to track down a set of 10/11 endlinks or purchase 10/11 endlinks from the vendor as the endlinks are completely different from 11 to 12.
Thats what I saw to.Car handles greatl with the new bar, but does anyone yet know if the old setup on the rear will work better or only as good? I like the new endlinks and really want to wait and see if a new bar will be coming out for the 2012's.

Any thoughts on that?
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
One more budget minded opinion:

1) Pfadt balance bar
2) Pedders Radius arm Inserts and Rear subframe inserts
(full rear bushings would be too firm for me)
3) SS shock/strut take offs from SLP
(check E-Bay: $39.95 for all four w/front endlinks)
Mine came off a 2012 V8- like new!
4) SS springs from someone unloading their old springs here on C5.
Avg $30-$50. Caught mine for $30 shipped.
Drops the rear end 3/4", front 1/8".
5) Pick up a SS front sway the same way.

Car runs dead level now, firm and controlled but still civilized. The level of handling exceeds the sum of its parts, and these are all mods you can perform yourself, avoiding the dreaded labor costs. Just an alignment when you're done. It sure works for me.

Wrote all that and just realised you've got an SS! Gotta quite posting when I can't sleep! Have fun with your upgrades...
Edit button.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Dylan – 55Designs said it all for us and he’s not on our payroll. Thanks 55Designs!

The track pack is a good kit for what you’re asking for out of your Camaro.

We took our Track Pack equipped 5th gen Camaro to a track day where we were able to drive a stock Camaro and then get into our Camaro right away. This video shows how the drivers feel the changes with the Hotchkis Track Pack.

...and also these other tests of Hotchkis products.
http://www.camaroperformers.com/cama...ASwfIBL7hWCeCO

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...aro-track-pack
WOW that was an L99 in that video.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #34
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Thanks to our supporters for the kind words about our products. The Hotchkis equipped Camaros do everything a bit better than stock Camaros. We’ve had success at reducing wheel-hop under hard launches with our Chassis Max undercar brace. Our brace reduces wheel-hop quite a bit...so much that Lingenfelter uses it on all of their big-power cars including the world's fastest 5th gen drag car.

The best way to combat the wheel hop is to switch to a solid axle, but then you’ll be defeating the awesome handling benefits of the IRS. We choose to have the car more fun to drive around corners better, but as a whole, we’ll keep working on off-the-line performance too.
Live axle, not really , My past 2007 S197 Mustang GT had the same issue and just as bad. I installed BMR rear lower control arms but also needed the Eibach Sportline springs to fully cure the problem. That car did the best 0-60 launch of any car I ever drove along with Tokico D specs single adjustable dampers. Nice and smooth with no wheel hop all the way to 60+.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #35
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012camaro2SS/RS View Post
Right now I have everything stock on my 12' Camaro SS suspension wise.

The Camaro has some wheel hop, rear end sway and cornering weaknesses. I used to drive a 09' 335i and it handled a lot better when taking turns above 60mph(mountain fun), going from 0-60 without slipping as much, as well as feeling more in control of the car at higher speeds.
Does a stiffer suspension cause this on the BMW?

What is the best thing I can do for my Camaro Suspension that will
1. Reduce wheel hop when going from 0-60/quarter mile
2. Improve handling and traction when: cornering, slalom type driving and quarter mile?

I am not trying to make this car a stiff and uncomfortable ride(daily driver).

I am open to ANY suggestions and all input

All I know about is Hotckis and PFADT Engineering. But there are a ton of different options that seem to overlap each other in what they do for your car. I am confused and need you all's pro advice.

Please Help!

-Dylan
Getting your 5th Gen to handle like a BMW will take some work, but we should start with the low hanging fruit. The two weakest links in the 5th Gen suspension are the sub-frame and radius bushes. The rear end sway you refer to is rear end step created by the sub-frame twisting within the four rubber mounting bushes. The steering feels a bit soft because of the castor changes allowed by the hydraulically damped radius bushes. Both can be corrected with urethane inserts. The sub-frame inserts will help with your wheel hop. They will have no impact at all on ride quality and will deliver a sure footed feeling.

The next item on the list is your bland alignment from the factory. You can correct a number of the flaws you describe with a slightly more aggressive alignment. Up front, set the cambers to -1 and the toe to ZERO. There is no factory castor adjustment.

In the rear, dial out the camber to -.5 per wheel, half of the front camber. This will make the car more neutral. The rear toe set IN to .10 is good.

A great place to learn about the 5th gen suspension is located here on C5 THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension. With the alignment and inserts you won't believe the difference in your 5th Gen. I am so confident you will find these recommendations to perform to your satisfaction I'll guarantee them with a money back guarantee.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Thats what I saw to.Car handles greatl with the new bar, but does anyone yet know if the old setup on the rear will work better or only as good? I like the new endlinks and really want to wait and see if a new bar will be coming out for the 2012's.

Any thoughts on that?
If you're using a 10 or 11 bar on a 12 car it will handle exactly as we intended the package to work. We are in the process of working on a '12 specific sway bar package, but as of right now other really exciting Camaro products have our attention. In the mean time if you own a '12 car you can absolutely run our sway bars, so long as you use a 10 or 11 endlink.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #37
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
WOW that was an L99 in that video.
L99CAMA2011 – Good eye! We guess it took an L99 owner to notice.

Unlike some older automatic-transmission ponycars, the L99 makes a great track car and even more so with the upgraded suspension. That was a great day at the MPG track day and a bunch of journalists got to feel the car against a stock 5th-gen Camaro the same afternoon.

Is that your car in your avatar?

Tags
chassis, hotchkis, pfadt, suspension, upgrade