Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Andys562

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
Completely new to exhausts...

I'm a complete noob when it comes to exhaust systems. I've been doing quite a bit of research, and I think I've stumbled upon the fact there are two kinds of exhausts: cat backs and axle backs. Am I right? And if so, what is the difference?

I'm looking for a mean sounding exhaust that people will hear.
I'm not looking for anything too much for performance; I'm really going for sound here.
I have a 2LT RS V6 Automatic if that helps.

Thank you!
Videos/pictures/links/anything is appreciated!
Andys562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Andys562

Also, what are the pros and cons of getting a new exhaust system?

Pros: HP gains? MPG gain?
Cons: Will it void my warranty? Any future issues I might encounter? Are they any harder to maintain than the stock exhaust?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Catback: is from the catalytic converters back

Axleback: from the rear axle back

There are no HP or mpg gains from an exhaust system. No it will no void your warranty. There is no upkeep with them. You install them and then you're done with them.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Andys562

If all I'm looking for is sound, am I better off with just new mufflers? Instead blowing all that money on an exhaust?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
It's a personal preference thing. Search around the forum and listen to YouTube videos. Most V6 guys go with the MRT v2 if I remember right
Old 11-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
elpatofeo
LawBraker

Drives: 10 SIM 2LT/RS & 2016 1SS Hyper Blue
ARK Performance, N-II:
Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
If all I'm looking for is sound, am I better off with just new mufflers? Instead blowing all that money on an exhaust?
yes, if you are looking for sound, then getting the axleback is what you want.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Andys562

All I want is a powerful sound. I don't want anything sounding too raspy and choppy; I want a quality and strong, aggressive sound. I want my presence to be known.

Why do people buy exhaust systems if you can just buy a muffler for cheaper?
Since exhaust systems don't give you HP or MPG gains.
And mufflers seem to be a lot cheaper.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
what do you mean by exhaust or muffler like catback or axle back?
Also do you have any other plans for modding?
If you have plans of more modding say long tube headers you may want to get an exhaust that has a resonated X pipe so you dont get the rasp.
A Axle back which is just the mufflers is great like alot of people have the MRT V2 but to get the sound you want you may not always be able to do that with just them. You may need to go father up the pipes.

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
axle-back exhausts usually run from 400 to 650 while cat-backs tend to run from 700 to 1,100+.

Yes, you can buy just some muffler but you have to consider additional things that will add to the cost like exhaust tips and the additional pipe and bending of those pipes to mate up to your factory system. Usually by the time you add up the cost of two mufflers, a set of tips, piping and labor costs to do the bending/welding your looking to spend at least 300 and probably more in the range of 350 to 450.

So yes, if you do a custom setup (for instance, mine is a custom magnaflow exhaust) you can get away with a bit cheaper, but you must do your research on which universal mufflers you choose to be sure it will sound good and install just fine.

These axle-back and cat-back "kits" include all the mufflers/tips/and piping pre-bend and ready for installation, not to mention they have been tested by that particular manufacturer to produce a "good" sound for the V6. ( I put the "good" in quotes b/c good to one person might not be good to another) So they can charge a bit of a premium for them.

Also usually cat-backs will in many cases include slightly larger piping, and also can include an additional muffler or X-pipe further upstream near the cats which will also alter the sound.

You can actually gain some HP and gas mileage with exhaust, but don't expect much from the V6 Camaro.

There is much to talk about in this area....I will say that if you haven't found the V6 exhaust sticky thread yet, definitely look in there.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpatofeo View Post
ARK Performance, N-II:
+1
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
sound...axelback exhaust will do fine, no catback needed
Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
It depends a lot on the sound you want; realy loud all the time, loud just when you really get on it but quiet at cruise..............whatever. I was a total newbie too. Thank goodness for Apex Chase! He was very patient with me, explained things to me, talked to me about the sound I wanted & helped me make the right choice for me - A Borla axle back. I love it! Here is a link to high quality video clip Apex Paul & Chase made of my set-up but listen with headphones or you won't be able to tell much about it. It sounds much better when you really get on it but they wanted more like daily driving sound:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148671
I'll link to my mod pics too.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6271
Talk to Chase. He got me a really good deal too. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Look if you want loud and a good quality sound might I point you in the direction of what is on Rene's silver Camaro in the above video-ARK N-II full catback exhaust. That thing sounds amazing and their Black Friday sale puts it at around 850 shipped. That's a heckuva deal. It is 100% 304 mirror polished stainless steel.

KMPrenger makes some very good points about peicing together your own setup. If you know what you're doing then yeah you can probably save yourself some cash but if you're new to all this then just save yourself some time and hassel and just buy it right the first time. Corsa and SOLO make nice easy-to-live-with catbacks as well.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote