Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
CamaroJim56
Obsessed
 
CamaroJim56's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Metallic 2SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,382
CAI Ignorance

Be gentle....

So, I assume a CAI forces/allows more air to the engine. And cooler air at that, which is better.

So, wouldn't one get almost the same benefits by removing the top of the stock filter holder? Cut out the bottom?

If I were to buy one, which is the easiest to install, I want to work from the top only, and not remove wheels, or relocate the washer bottle.

Why/how is the non oiled filter better? Or is it?

Thanks,

Jim
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
KickToTheJunk
 
KickToTheJunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6 Mtv Hbo Ps3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 97
I'm doing the Vararam (v6)( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161776 ) (ignore the 9 minute install crap - no DIY'r who cares about their car is worried about a 10 minute install).

I like the way the VR intake design is. The idea of pulling air from the grill and forcing it into the intake, then having the MAF sensor at the head of the intake tube (colder) and having more of a straight shot to the Throttle Body with a minimal of a bend as possible ---- seems like the best design.

The install is more intense and you have to modify the two radiator mounts (watch videos). I don't have a band saw (only saw I don't have) but pretty confident I can do this with a dremel or jig saw and a vice with accuracy.

If I wanted an airbox replacement - I'd go with the C.A.I. brand.

Some brands require washer bottle relocation/replacement and some do not. The BBK seems like it'd fit right next to it.

I'm looking for maximum performance and efficiency over aesthetics. I've seen where the VR deepens your stock exhaust note as well. Maybe not on idle so much, but down the road.

Oiled is better since it's cleanable, re-useable and rechargeable (with filter oil). A recharge kit runs around $15 or less for cleaner and oil. Supposed to last 50k miles without a recharge - but I'm sure that's subjective to conditions driven.

I'm a noob to, so.... I could be wrong on many counts. Been researching this for a couple weeks. As well as the catch-can and the clutch reservior mod (already in progress).
__________________
MY SIG SUCKS. THIS IS PROOF.
KickToTheJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickToTheJunk View Post
I'm doing the Vararam (v6)( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161776 ) (ignore the 9 minute install crap - no DIY'r who cares about their car is worried about a 10 minute install).

I like the way the VR intake design is. The idea of pulling air from the grill and forcing it into the intake, then having the MAF sensor at the head of the intake tube (colder) and having more of a straight shot to the Throttle Body with a minimal of a bend as possible ---- seems like the best design.

The install is more intense and you have to modify the two radiator mounts (watch videos). I don't have a band saw (only saw I don't have) but pretty confident I can do this with a dremel or jig saw and a vice with accuracy.

If I wanted an airbox replacement - I'd go with the C.A.I. brand.

Some brands require washer bottle relocation/replacement and some do not. The BBK seems like it'd fit right next to it.

I'm looking for maximum performance and efficiency over aesthetics. I've seen where the VR deepens your stock exhaust note as well. Maybe not on idle so much, but down the road.

Oiled is better since it's cleanable, re-useable and rechargeable (with filter oil). A recharge kit runs around $15 or less for cleaner and oil. Supposed to last 50k miles without a recharge - but I'm sure that's subjective to conditions driven.

I'm a noob to, so.... I could be wrong on many counts. Been researching this for a couple weeks. As well as the catch-can and the clutch reservior mod (already in progress).

Actually I'd say your description is spot on. I love my Vararam...the power and sound improvement were noticeable over my AirRaid. But it does require more maintenance for a few reasons. 1)...you really should monitor the VR intake after each drive for the first several drives until you are confident the intake is not closing up the air gap. But if you find it is not moving, then you are good to go. Also, since it is more of a straight through design, the filter will likely require cleaning more often than a traditional intake box would.

Cutting the brackets isn't hard, just takes time and you need to make sure you cut low enough the first time...I didn't and it caused my intake to move a bit after driving (what I mentioned earlier) so I cut them even lower and it seemed to help.

...one last note...hopefully they have improved but I thought the instructions that came with it sucked.

Otherwise, C.A.I. and Roto-fab seem to be good choices.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Nmbr1gmfan
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL.
Posts: 369
Jim, The name is the key here, COLD air. The computer will reduce power via air inlet temps so your looking for an intake that will not use underhood air, but air brought from outside the car, not underhood.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPvVm...&feature=share
New and improved non-violation sig vid!!
Nmbr1gmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
mhog
 
mhog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 447
I think Vararam sells cut brackets. The install is very easy.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
CamaroJim56
Obsessed
 
CamaroJim56's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Metallic 2SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,382
The Vararam does look fairly simple... minus the cutting of the brackets. (Metal or plastic?)

Would be nice if they had pre-cut ones.

CAI brand seems nice too, may come down to the simplicity of install and the $$$.

Thanks for everyones responses so far.

Anyone in northern VA good at installing these for a fellow 5th Gen owner?
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,773
Vararam does sell pre-cut brackets, at an additional cost I do believe.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,271
I'll be back in No Va around late December. I'd be more than happy to help you with the install. Whatever brand you end up going with.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
OOLIE

 
OOLIE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 LS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 1,644
your intake design should bring you the freshest air to intake. multiple ways to do it
__________________
OOLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Be gentle....

So, I assume a CAI forces/allows more air to the engine. And cooler air at that, which is better.

So, wouldn't one get almost the same benefits by removing the top of the stock filter holder? Cut out the bottom?

If I were to buy one, which is the easiest to install, I want to work from the top only, and not remove wheels, or relocate the washer bottle.

Why/how is the non oiled filter better? Or is it?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim,

Our system is a breeze to install, can all be done from above, and requires no further modifying to complete. Heres a little bit more about our intakes:

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake systems benefits:

: Tig welded aluminum air box (high luster finish reflects radiant heat)

: Insulated air box (this adding another layer of thermal (convection) protection)

: Aluminum lid with stainless steel ¼ turn fasteners (fast filter removal)

: Viewing window for fast easy filter inspection.

: High Luster ceramic coated intake tube (coated inside and out, yet another layer of thermal protection)

: Smooth bore (88.9 mm) intake tube construction (this minimizes bends and restrictions within the system)

: 8” V-stack air filter with built in velocity stack (helps reduce turbulence for truer MAF reading)

: 8 layer air filter (maximizing filtration for prolonged engine life

: LIFETIME WARRANTY

We have sold thousands of intakes, have thousands of happy customers, and incorporate design features that make our system a true Cold Air Intake. We see great #’s on the Dyno as well as the track, and can keep our intake temps within 2 degrees of ambient air due to our design features.

Check out these links as well:

Testimonials Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/testimonials
3D Filter Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/air-filters/filters-in-action/

You also were asking about oiled vs non-oiled filters, read these article, I think you will find it very helpful.
http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/gene...-your-vehicle/What Is The Best Air Intake System For The Camaro SS?

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Blacktip
 
Blacktip's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Silver RS package
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 466
+1 for CAI, inc.
easy install, great sound and performance
__________________
.....Well alright,alright..didn't know it was this kind of party
Blacktip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
JoshBobGuptaMarley's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PanamaCityBeach,Florida
Posts: 1,381
Ya, cold air inductions is #1.
__________________
Muffler Delete, Cold Air Inductions intake, Technostalgia Sequential LED Tail Lights, Vmax CNC Ported TB, RX Catch Can, AAC LED Interior Lights (Aqua)
JoshBobGuptaMarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
TastyBake

 
TastyBake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 898
I think camarojim56's question is why not cut a hole out of the stock box as that's what many CAI kits look like.

Cutting a hole at the top/bottom does give the stock box more access to air like an aftermarket CAI kit. But a CAI get its benefit also from the oil filter. The theory is the air flows more free through the cotton. The dirt in the air sticks to the oil in the cotton unlike the paper which relies on the paper itself. This is why K&N sell the just the filter for the stock box for some cars for 5-6 hp gains. Along with the shape of the filter adds up to the 10 hp or so advantage.

Manufactures stick to a box shape so customers wont hear the sucking noise and get a quiet car.

So you can cut a hole in the stock box but you'll dirty the paper filter quickly and it will make sucking noise with no real gain in hp or torque.

Recommend then not cutting the box but get a CAI. There is a thread that had a chart showing the hp/tq differences. Me, i'm jst gonnamget one that looks good and works.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
CamaroJim56
Obsessed
 
CamaroJim56's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Metallic 2SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,382
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'll be back in No Va around late December. I'd be more than happy to help you with the install. Whatever brand you end up going with.

Stieger, I appreciate the offer, let me see if I get one, and I will get back to you. Problem area is no darned garage, and it's gonna get cold soon! :-)

Thanks a ton!

Jim
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List Merc Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3437 Yesterday 09:31 PM
Unofficial 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List Merc Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 250 04-01-2014 11:40 AM
Black CAI Inc. Intakes IN STOCK and ready to ship at Apex Motorsports! Apex Motorsports V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 323 08-09-2012 06:21 PM
Its JUST a V6 ROD1 Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 26 06-29-2010 03:57 PM
LS3 goes 11`s Bonestock! GMRULZ Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 28 12-08-2008 10:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.