Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Need help finding a vacuum leak

Okay, after getting my BBK headers installed on the dyno it was noted that my AFR was 13.3 Did a datalog, sent it to vince and he responded that my fuel trims are skewed badly, suggesting that I recheck my throttle body or vararam intake. I did a quick check saw no loose hoses but I rememeber someone mentioning that the breather for the oil catch can can cause fuel trims to go bad. So i removed that , thinking the problem was solved. Sent another datalog but still have skewed fuel trims. I will check the car again but am trying to narrow down the areas to check.

It cant be the headers right becuase if it was wouldn't I get a cell?

How tight do I need to do the bolts for the throttle body?

Could it be the MAF sensor on the vararam, I recall it being a PITA to get in but maybe some air leakage. If I did not make the connection all the way, Not enough to cause a cell. as thats the issue no cell, car seems to be running perfect.

Anywhere else to check.

Do they make a tool that can check for vacuum leaks like a leak with AC systems

Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
What are you using to monitor your ecm with? You can always go get some carb cleaner and spray around the area where you think might have a leak and listen for any idle change. It work every time.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

nothing, just what vince is telling me based on the datalogs What kind of tool would you recommend to monitor the ecm and thanks for the idea of the carb cleaner never thought of that.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
Okay, after getting my BBK headers installed on the dyno it was noted that my AFR was 13.3 Did a datalog, sent it to vince and he responded that my fuel trims are skewed badly, suggesting that I recheck my throttle body or vararam intake. I did a quick check saw no loose hoses but I rememeber someone mentioning that the breather for the oil catch can can cause fuel trims to go bad. So i removed that , thinking the problem was solved. Sent another datalog but still have skewed fuel trims. I will check the car again but am trying to narrow down the areas to check.

It cant be the headers right becuase if it was wouldn't I get a cell?

How tight do I need to do the bolts for the throttle body?

Could it be the MAF sensor on the vararam, I recall it being a PITA to get in but maybe some air leakage. If I did not make the connection all the way, Not enough to cause a cell. as thats the issue no cell, car seems to be running perfect.

Anywhere else to check.

Do they make a tool that can check for vacuum leaks like a leak with AC systems

Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks
Quote from DREV LSX:

12. After starting all 4 10mm bolts, tighten them down with your ratchet. Do not "Gorilla them down", they only require 89in.lbs of torque or 7ft.lbs of torque. If you dont have a torque wrench just snug them down. Don't trust your "calibrated" elbow. You can overtorque and break something.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
This is the exact reason why I always try to tell peoples that if you have a tune and start modifying you have to know what is going on and check things yourself because you might never know that something might be out of whack even if your car tell you otherwise.

You can use something as cheap as a ebay laptop obd2 scanner or if you have android phone you can use torque obd2 meter, or you can get more sophisticated and start adding gauges or gm specific scanners.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Also, if your running the RX breather kit make sure the OEM fresh air line is deleted and the fittings capped. If running the VRam with the breather mod on the end of the OEM line then that is where the unmetered/unrestricted air is entering.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I guess not all of the breathers that came with the Vararam must not be made equal or something.

I still have the VR breather attached to the end of the OEM tube and my LTFTs are perfect.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Also, if your running the RX breather kit make sure the OEM fresh air line is deleted and the fittings capped. If running the VRam with the breather mod on the end of the OEM line then that is where the unmetered/unrestricted air is entering.
I removed the rx breather and replaced it with orginal oil cap. But yes I have the Vram breather mod, that silver cap object. should I remove that and cap it? and with what.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

okay here is a picx of the engine bay, as you can see I replaced the rx breather back to stock oil cap, but I still have the vararam breather. So I guess what your saying is I should remove the carram breather and cap it with a plug
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
I removed the rx breather and replaced it with orginal oil cap. But yes I have the Vram breather mod, that silver cap object. should I remove that and cap it? and with what.

Thanks for the help guys
I have the VR and breather set up. I used a rubber plug from Lowe's and a little electrical tape. Works fine.

catman used a bolt and screwed in there, maybe a 5/16" x 1" long?
Attached Images

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

67 GTO , great idea, hopefully that solves my problem. going to home depot tomm
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
okay here is a picx of the engine bay, as you can see I replaced the rx breather back to stock oil cap, but I still have the vararam breather. So I guess what your saying is I should remove the carram breather and cap it with a plug
The combination of the RX breather and the VR breather was your problem.

Cap off the stock OEM tube and put back the RX breather and I'd bet you will be good to go! Or you can even remove the entire OEM tube assembly to clean up your engine bay, and then cap off the connector near the rear of the engine.

Member baupf5 did this on his and it helps to clean up the look.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
KM is correct.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Thanks guys will do that tommorrow. Should I disconnect the battery to reset the fuel trims or just drive normally. I ask becuase the car seems to drive better after I reset the ecu and drive for about 50 miles under light driving whenever I have done a new modificication

bmorecam. I already have a lap top that I use for the tune could I buy the software and obdII port connectors somewhere as I don't want to buy another laptop for this and stuck with a blackberry as my company pays the bills. don't think apps can work on that. can they ?