Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
ljones

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Summer Storage... seriously

I'll be parking my Camaro for about 2 months... sucks! How should I best store the car? The car will be indoors in a parking deck. Unfortunately my spot in on a downward slope, so the car will be applying more weight to one side.

The temperture will be fairly warm here in Miami as well.

Also, is it possible to have OnStar monitor the car to ensure its still in the same spot from time to time?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
If your car is in an indoor parking deck, it is highly unlikely you will have OnStar reception.
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
ljones

I used OnStar in the deck before, worked fine. Even received a call to the car phone in an underground deck. So i guess it depends on the area.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
iMONEY

Drives: RS 2011
Are you in the military? I cant see any other reason why you'd put that sexy bitch in storage.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
ljones

No. Starting to wonder the same thing.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones View Post
I'll be parking my Camaro for about 2 months......How should I best store the car?
Make sure the windows are up, close the door & push the lock/arm button on the remote and walk away.

I think people get WAY to wound up over the whole "storage" thing. When I was in the Air Force, I'd be TDY for anywhere between 2 and 4 months at a time, and all I'd do would be making sure it was closed up & locked. Over 12 years and 6 different cars I never even had to jump start a car when I came home.......not even when I was gone for 6 months one time. Only issue was sometimes feeling "flat-spotted" tires when I first started driving, but that went away after a mile or so.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
so why are you storing it away in the summer?!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
ljones

Heading up north, and we already have our SUV there.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Two months won't hurt a thing, and you don't need to do anything special. When you get back, it'll be right there waiting for you to floor it!!

Seriously, though, the only thing I'd consider would be a breathable car cover to keep bird crap and dust off of it.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '11 1LT/RS M6 CGM
Definately cover it up,and tie the cover down so it doesnt blow away. Don't apply the parking brake ,either.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
I didn't know the weight shifted when your sitting on a slope?
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
If you happen to have an iPhone, just download the OnStar RemoteLink app. You can monitor your car from anywhere, including locking th edoore and in your case checking the odometer. It won't tell you WHERE the car is, but you'll know if it mysteriously has more miles on it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I routinely leave mine for long periods of time...

Lessons learned...
1.) Full tank of gas, reduces the air space and condensation collection due to temperature variables on a partially full tank...
2.) Unplug any electronic items from the power outlets... Cell phone chargers etc can have parasitic loss and over time will cause a battery to drain enough to cause starting difficulty...
3.) Ensure the tires are properly inflated at the time it's parked... When starting the car back up, drive to the nearest service location and check the tire pressure... As was mentioned, it will flat spot them a bit but if properly inflated, this will disappear in very short order, usually to my experience by the time you have driven a mile or two and checked them...
4.) Throw a mild but pleasant air freshner under one of the seats... I use bounce fabric softner sheets in a loose, (nonsealed) ziplock bag... This helps minimize any musty smell again due to condensation build up from temperature variations...
5.) I wash and dry my car prior to storing it to remove any bug guts, and or bird poop from the car as the longer it sits, the more the acidity affects the paint...
6.) If there is any slope at all, set the parking brake... These are not the old drum style brakes and you will not warp the rotors from pressure on them over time... I leave my car in 4th gear and set the parking brake... The higher the gear, the less chance there is of compression release over time allowing the car to move...

Other than that, you should have no issues with two months of storage...

These are all my own personal opinions and obviously everyone is subject to their own...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
United_727

Stuff a rag into each exhaust pipe,too.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Add some fuel stabilizer, STA-BIL probably the best known most widely distributed.

This blended fuel, aka E10 - 10% Ethanol, has a much shorter shelf-life and has a very specific chemical breakdown (phase seperation) that occurs. This breakdown set ups a situation where corrision can occur very quickly.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I routinely leave mine for long periods of time...

Lessons learned...
1.) Full tank of gas, reduces the air space and condensation collection due to temperature variables on a partially full tank...
2.) Unplug any electronic items from the power outlets... Cell phone chargers etc can have parasitic loss and over time will cause a battery to drain enough to cause starting difficulty...
3.) Ensure the tires are properly inflated at the time it's parked... When starting the car back up, drive to the nearest service location and check the tire pressure... As was mentioned, it will flat spot them a bit but if properly inflated, this will disappear in very short order, usually to my experience by the time you have driven a mile or two and checked them...
4.) Throw a mild but pleasant air freshner under one of the seats... I use bounce fabric softner sheets in a loose, (nonsealed) ziplock bag... This helps minimize any musty smell again due to condensation build up from temperature variations...
5.) I wash and dry my car prior to storing it to remove any bug guts, and or bird poop from the car as the longer it sits, the more the acidity affects the paint...
6.) If there is any slope at all, set the parking brake... These are not the old drum style brakes and you will not warp the rotors from pressure on them over time... I leave my car in 4th gear and set the parking brake... The higher the gear, the less chance there is of compression release over time allowing the car to move...

Other than that, you should have no issues with two months of storage...

These are all my own personal opinions and obviously everyone is subject to their own...
Great list! Quick question: what does compression release mean?
ihaveacamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Great list! Quick question: what does compression release mean?
If manual tranny car is sitting on a slope, without the parking brake on, the resistance of the car moving is transferred through the drive train and it's held by the engine... The cylinder under partial compression at the time ends up with the burden of the weight... The compression over time will release through the rings into the crank case allowing the motor to turn a very small amount until the next cylinder in line takes up the burden... This can repeat over time, allowing the car to move move than you would think... Thats why I park it in 4th gear... the higher gear ratio reduces the leverage on the drive train to turn the motor.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
If manual tranny car is sitting on a slope, without the parking brake on, the resistance of the car moving is transferred through the drive train and it's held by the engine... The cylinder under partial compression at the time ends up with the burden of the weight... The compression over time will release through the rings into the crank case allowing the motor to turn a very small amount until the next cylinder in line takes up the burden... This can repeat over time, allowing the car to move move than you would think... Thats why I park it in 4th gear... the higher gear ratio reduces the leverage on the drive train to turn the motor.
And if you do have the parking brake on? Is the resistance still transfered to the cylinder under compression or do the brakes take the resistance?

I was always told to put up the parking brake and put in first or second, and after 3 years of driving manual cars, I've never had any problems.
ihaveacamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
Two months won't hurt a thing, and you don't need to do anything special. When you get back, it'll be right there waiting for you to floor it!!

Seriously, though, the only thing I'd consider would be a breathable car cover to keep bird crap and dust off of it.
OR...on your way up north, you can stop through here and I'll be HAPPY to "maintain" it for you while you're gone....
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

The parking brake will provide the resistance to rolling... It's left in gear as a back up method... Any gear is ok, but if you factor in the gear reduction, the lower the gear, the more leverage the weight of the vehicle places on the drive train. It's substantially easier to move a car in a low gear than in a high gear...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Well think about it, it's alrdy August and hurricane season is here and you live in a likely area. Store it!!!

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
ljones

Great advice guys. Yeah, the thought of a hurricane hitting definitely sucks. The car is up well above any flood level... unless there is a parting of the seas. Wind... I'm on a slope, so I'm between a good amount of concrete, which limits any direct wind flow. The rain should not hit the car either, unless the rain is flowing through with the wind.

And I have an auto.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
United_727

Or just put a foot long 2x4 in front and back of one tire.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/12 RAV4
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_727 View Post
Stuff a rag into each exhaust pipe,too.
Steel wool! Rat/mice will eat through rags. I've seen it happen.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post
Steel wool! Rat/mice will eat through rags. I've seen it happen.
Cool deal, the things you can learn here,