Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Raymonds Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
MJA03

Drives: 95 Camaro Z28
Active Fuel Management?

Although exact options on the new camaro have yet to be released I’ve been thinking about what options I would like, as I’m sure everyone else here has been too. I know I would opt for an standard over an automatic but how exactly does the Active Fuel Management work? Can you have it with a manual transmission? If you can’t how many of you would go with and auto over a standard just to have the active fuel management?
MJA03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Hmmm...a very good question/topic.

I'm all for AFM. But I would not opt for an Auto in order to get it. I think AFM is a very good option though.

Personally, all of my Camaro's have been manual transmissions, (with the exception of my first one) and I plan on keeping it that way. There's nothing like rowing through the gears, listening to that wonderful V8 rumble.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
Crap, that is something to think about.... I like the idea of AFM.....BUT I can't deal with an automatic... I'll get the manual still, I just won't drive her to and from work everyday and I'll deal with sucking up with the gas price if she doesn't come with the AFM option for manual.
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
AFM is available on manuals and autos. Its based on engine load, accelerator position, and driving patterns.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
AFM is available on manuals and autos. Its based on engine load, accelerator position, and driving patterns.
+1. It works with both trannys, perfectly. And it's not an "option", per say. Either they put it in the engine, or they don't. ALL gen V's(engines) are supposed to get it. And the LS2 (vette) had it...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
+1. It works with both trannys, perfectly. And it's not an "option", per say. Either they put it in the engine, or they don't. ALL gen V's(engines) are supposed to get it. And the LS2 (vette) had it...
Ummmm, I don't believe the LS2 in the C6 has AFM. My brother's C6 doesn't have it, nor do any of the C6's I've seen. (Maybe I'm confused-AFM = cylinder deactivation? - I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee and not thinking clearly.)

Also, a little "speculation" regarding the engine which may be in the new Camaro; I'm thinking whatever the "lower" V8 model is, it'll have AFM, whereas the "high-end" V8 may not. But again, it's way too early to know with any certainty.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
active fuel management with dual exhaust

I found this post by someone else. I thought it was interesting because it suggests the exhaust from both engine heads, have to be combined into one pipe, even if you see two pipes at the muffler.
It also suggests (to me) there won't be active fuel management.
Here is his post (from http://www.worldcarfans.com/2051207.001/1.html)

I have a 2007 Silverado 5.3 active fuel management. I had dual uxhaust installed with a V Force muffler 3" in 2.5" dual out it sounds good as long as all eight cylenders are hitting when it shuts down to four cylenders it sounds like it is missing! Can anyone recomend a muffler that will not sound like that and still give me the benefits of dual exhaust?

Posted by LonnieSmith on Jul 24, 2007 at 3:04:12 AM
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Ummmm, I don't believe the LS2 in the C6 has AFM. My brother's C6 doesn't have it, nor do any of the C6's I've seen. (Maybe I'm confused-AFM = cylinder deactivation? - I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee and not thinking clearly.)
Maybe I'm deluded....I thought for sure it did.... Stupid, stupid, stupid....
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
As far as I know the LS2 does not have AFM, but many other GM V8s have it. At the Los Angeles Auto Show last year the Chevy rep said in her presentation of the Camaro that it would have AFM, for what its worth. I agree with Moose, the base V8 will likely have AFM, but a seriously hi-po version may not.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
MJA03

Drives: 95 Camaro Z28
With that being said and the likely hood of the new camaro coming with AFM, is this something that we really want? Better gas mileage is always a plus with today’s gas prices and a great selling point to all the wives out there that probably otherwise wouldn’t let some buy the new car, but my only concern is what will it sound like? Ragtop brought up this great point and I know one of my first mods would be an exhaust and I don’t want anything other then the great sound of all American muscle.
MJA03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Sound-shmound, it'll only activate when your cruising, IF your cruising...the minute you hammer it, our lovely rumble will be right back

As to ragtop's post...It suggests to me that this person modded his car with duals because he wanted the "advantages" of dual exausts...I'm not sold that it has anything to to with AFM and duals not working....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'll get one with AFM on it. Gas over here is a lot more expensive the over in the US.
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn that I heard the Camaro was suppose to have great gas mileage, so seems though that would mean AFM is a give in. But if givin a choice between the top v-8 or a v-8 with AFM, I think I'd lean toward the AFM.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
Dunk31
Instigator

Drives: 93 Z28, 70 Chevelle SS 97 Expo
Location: Kandahar, Afghanistan/St. Louis will always be home though.
I guess I have a luxury that many here don't. The Camaro will not be my daily driver, but a weekend toy to keep the miles down. I don't know much about AFM, but in my situation I would lean toward without it if it were to make the car sound bad with aftermarket exhaust or rob even a little bit of power. But if there is no effects then I'm all for it. It's numbers as a Camaro community that we are looking for to keep it alive and that's what we need. Sales are what are gonna keep this care around for future generations to develop the same memories as we have over the years, not 1/4 mile speeds.
Dunk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Also remember that the "new" direct injection system will also help with fuel economy. The rumor I've heard is that this new system will create more power, therefore GM may opt to reduce the size of the pistons, which will help the fuel economy a little while keeping the 400HP range they are aiming for.

Regarding AFM, I'm not sure how to feel about it yet. I never drive on the highway and live close to work, so it would rarely help me. Personally, I'm for anything that will help at the pump, but not if it will detract from my driving experience in any way. And it's important to note that "cruising" can be considered ANY speed, when the engine is in a higher gear and therefore under less load. So, expect the AFM to be kicking in a lot more often than only on long highway trips. At 45MPH, I'm at 1500RPMs on city streets in fifth gear. Wouldn't that kick on AFM?

But, here are two things to remember:

1) Companies like Diablo and SCT make tuners that will probably (hopefully) allow AFM to be disabled, the same way that Traction Control can be disabled through the computer.

2) The post about the AFM causing someone's truck to sound like it was "missing" could be anything. It may be a very quiet miss that wouldn't be audible with Flowmasters anyway, or it may actually sound nice....perhaps like a loping idle sound, which I think I would like anyway. Especially considering FLowmasters have a weak droning sound when the engine is under light load anyway.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
I wouldn't want AFM turned off for any reason (other than the car turning it off because I'm flooring it). AFM should kick in at 45, I agree. This should help with the city streets. It doens't need to be all on hwy to get the AFM to work.
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
stovt001

The Honda cylinder deactivation brought 6 cylinders down to 3, and to make up for the change in sound white noise that would match the sound patter back to that of the full V6 was pumped through the speakers, or something like that. Helps those inside the car, but not outside. In any case, I don't think that will be a problem here, as 4 cylinders sound very different than 3 (go drive a Geo Metro around and you'll see). So I'm sure that really, AFM will have no performance penalty. You go light on the gas, holding a steady speed, unnecessary cylinders cut off. You hit the gas, and the come back online. I've heard its actually rather seamless.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #18
Sick

Drives: Audi TT
I don't have a problem controlling my day to day driving to keep my MPG down. I drive a 6cyl turbo right now and it isn't too bad on gas so long as I take some weight off the lead foot I've got.

That may change once I get that Camaro.
Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #19
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Do you guys think that there would be an indicator light to show us when AFM is working? Maybe a light in the instrument cluster, like when Traction Control is on in the Mustangs.

Also, how often do you think AFM would be activated while driving in city traffic daily? Is it more of a highway thing, or always ready to turn on whenever the engine is under light load?
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
$¢'s 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sound-shmound, it'll only activate when your cruising, IF your cruising...the minute you hammer it, our lovely rumble will be right back
It will sound like a high lopping cam at 60 mph as far as hammering it, that rumble will turn into a scream quickly
$¢'s 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #21
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Do you guys think that there would be an indicator light to show us when AFM is working? Maybe a light in the instrument cluster, like when Traction Control is on in the Mustangs.

Also, how often do you think AFM would be activated while driving in city traffic daily? Is it more of a highway thing, or always ready to turn on whenever the engine is under light load?
On GM vehicles that currently use AFM, a message will appear in the DIC saying something along the lines of "4 Cyl Mode" or "8 Cyl Mode" when the AFM turns off and it goes back into normal operation. I'm sure there will be an indicator of some sort, and its form will just depend on the constraints of the dash layout.

In stop and go city driving I don't think it will engage. You'll need to hold a consistent in the upper gears for a little while before it activates. There are a couple roads near me with 45-50 mph speed limits and few stoplights and I imagine I'll use AFM mostly on those and in light traffic situations on the freeway.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #22
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
The active fuel management is controled by oil pressure. It has a collapsible lifter that is two pieces, allowing half the lifter to move on the cam, but not activating the rocker arm and opening the valve. The GM training rep said that if it ever does malfunction, the cylinder won't deactivate, so you don't have to worry about the engine getting stuck running on only 4 cylinders.

Last edited by Sterling; 11-15-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #23
September

Drives: VW Golf
We had an article in a UK Sunday newpaper this weekend. Good article regarding an active fuel management system which will give even the V8 around 30mpg!

Do we think it will have 2+2 seating? Thats a big point for me and whether or not i can buy one as i have a 4.5 year old now (he'll be almost 6 when it comes out!)
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham

Do we all remember when the concept was first shown at NAIAS...and then they said "We'd be brain dead not to build it"?

A few days after GM started talking about it. And while standing in front of the Concept - which is to be the "High-end" model for 30,000, a GM exec mentioned that with AFM this could get 30+ mpg Hwy (which, btw - is the same as my Cobalt right now ....wait....).

Anyways, do y'all think he was talking about the V8 trim? or a V6 with AFM? Because...I don't quite understand, exactly how they can beat out a V8 model with 30-31 mpg highway....what would the "economy" V6 have to be...35-36mpg hwy?!?!?! That would be friggin' ridiculous (in a good way)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #25
September

Drives: VW Golf
I'm thinking about the fuel cost here in the UK - currently at £1.03 - £1.05 per litre!!

So for me it could be a good thing as it'd be my 'first car' with a second bigger one (a diesel) for other occasions!
September is offline   Reply With Quote