Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
And so it begins

Some of y'all know me others don't. But this has been a long time coming for me but I have finally placed an order for a 2015 Ashen gray metallic 1SS/RS 1LE with Recaro seats and Performance exhaust.
Now the wait begins.

I guess we can call this the story of how I got my Camaro.
I have always loved cars, all types of cars. Growing up my dad did 99% of all repairs on all our vehicles, and I was always in the garage helping him. This only furthered my love of cars. I really loved the F-body cars, but mostly the Camaro. Fast forward years and I get my license. I want a fast car, but my dad says no so I end up with my mom’s old suburban. Every opportunity I get I find cars that need engine work and show them to my dad, and time and again he turns me down. Then the day that we all dreaded happened August 29 2002 the end of the Camaro.
I continued to look for used Camaro’s to buy, and my dad continued to turn me down, saying things like “you will kill yourself in a sports car”, “you will end up in jail in a fast car”. Years pass again, and I am on my own, and there is rumor floating around that the Camaro is making a comeback. I begin searching around on the internet and find this interesting little forum called Camaro5. I start poking around, and find that they have TONS of information, and I decide to join. September 21, 2008, I was so excited to see the car I loved making a comeback, and this time nobody could tell me no. I read everything I could, looked at all the pictures, and read all the stories, including something about shunt in a trunk.
I see the car up close and personal at the Houston Auto show, and meet a real nice guy and his wife. I end up answering more questions than the nice young ladies at the GM booth, and also convince the nice guy that he should order a Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro. After annoying the floor girls enough and a phone call from one of them to Fbodfather I am allowed to sit in, and photograph, a preproduction V8 Camaro. I am smitten; I NEED to have this car, so I begin saving money. I start planning on how a young mechanic with a younger wife and a child can possibly afford this car. Then my son continues to have health problems, and is sent to the medical center in Houston. I am now living and working in College Station and travelling to Houston every weekend to be with my wife and son in the hospital. Camaro dream is again put on hold.
My son continues to grow and get stronger, and comes home from the hospital. He is still on several medications multiple times a day which makes saving money impossible. The nice guy I met the auto show tells me his new Cyber Grey Camaro has arrived, and wants to take a road trip and let me drive it. I am over the moon; I am behind the wheel of my dream car. I don’t think I quit smiling for hours (probably days).
More time passes, and the Camaro fund slowly begins to grow. Many car shows are attended, and more time is spent on Camaro5. I meet new people, and make new friends. I attend an auto show in Austin, and get invited to a special preshow event. At that event I met Fbodfather. Wow I am meeting the man who has so much influence in our little car world. This man that is so important has taken time out of his day to not only attend this event, but has taken the time to say hi to me, and shake my hand. He even remembers the phone call about me in Houston. I am blown away by the feeling of family surrounding this car and on this forum.
I continue to build my Camaro fund. Then in late 2009 my wife and I are given some more devastating medical news. Sept 2010 my daughter is born, and again my Camaro fund is dissolved. More medical problems with my son and wife continue to make saving virtually impossible. I decide I need a better job, and start pursuing my dream career. I get hired on by the Texas A&M University Police Department as a Security Officer. Medical insurance starts a few months later, and again I am able to start saving for my beloved Camaro.
As life typically does, my wife and I decide that we need to move out of our duplex, and buy a house. So again Camaro fund is dissolved. Then one of the happiest days of my life happens (next to both kids being born and wedding day of course), I get hired by the TAMU Police Department Patrol division. I get to become a cop, dream job is starting. Major pay raise comes with it and the Camaro fund is again growing. Then the news that Camaro Fest is coming to Houston. I start crunching numbers and crunch numbers and crunch numbers, but realize there is no way I can get a car in time. But I attend anyways, and it is amazing. I spend most of the fest quiet and behind the scenes, most people won’t know they even met me but I have an absolute blast. I meet tons of awesome people, see tons of awesome cars, and even though I don’t have a car, and I’m not real active on the forum anymore I am still included in the big Camaro family. I can’t wait for the next fest.
Then I get news that another awesome guy on the forum is trading in his absolutely stunning car, CGM #1 no less, for a killer ZL1. I find out what dealership it’s at, and begin negotiations to buy it. I exchange several phone calls but I just can’t quite make a deal. The Camaro slips through my fingers yet again. Top that off with my wife getting more bad medical news while at fest, my Camaro dream looks to be fading yet again. I continue to read the forum looking at everyone’s car, and basically living vicariously through the various members of the forum. Birthday 2014 rolls around and my wife surprises me saying that she has secretly been squirreling away a little bit of money, and if things work out I can order my dream car in January. I am again over the moon. I begin building cars on the Chevy website, and am nudged into looking at the 1le package by a certain mod from San Antonio. I begin to research the 1le and I am sold. I figure out that my dream car is an Ashen Grey Metallic (only because Cyber Grey is no longer available) 1SS/RS 1le with Recaro seats and dual exhaust. December rolls around, and I dislocate my shoulder causing tendon damage, and need several weeks’ worth of physical therapy to get back to work. Luckily the rainy day budget is big enough to absorb the medical cost this time.
January rolls around, and it’s almost time to order my car. I can barely contain my excitement at this point. My DD has been sitting for six weeks due to my shoulder injury. We are going to sell my DD to push us over our agreed upon needed down payment to order a car. I go out to clean out my DD to sell it to some friends later that evening. I fire her up and she comes to life just like normal, 3 second later there is a horrendous sound and the engine begins to shake violently and rattle like it’s trying to tear itself apart. Have her towed down to my old shop and wait. The next day the phone rings…….blown motor…….all the junk in the oil settled out over the six weeks, and plugged the oil pump screen on start up. It’s going to cost more than the vehicle is worth to fix the motor. Car is hauled off to the junk yard at a massive loss of what I was hoping to get. Yet another kick in the gut and my Camaro again slips through my fingers.
Camaro Fest 6 is announced and I sign up not knowing if I will have a car or not, but I am determined to go anyway. Two months later my wife surprises me again. She has reworked the budget, and tells me we can order my car in July or August. I won’t have it in time for Fest but I am again back on track to getting a car. I continue to read the forum and endlessly build my car on Chevy’s site just to look at her. Then the news of the sixth gen is released. Wow another curveball thrown at me. Talk to some people I trust, and come to the conclusion I want a 5th gen, and stick with my plan. I talk to the wife about the possible deadline to order a 5th gen, and she tells me we just can’t get there from where we are. Again my dream car is slipping away.
I try to remain positive that hopefully the 6th gen won’t be that much more expensive than the 5th and I can still order something I want in July or August. Then my amazing wife comes through again. She reworks her work schedule adding several more clients, and tells me that we may just be able to order me a car in late May. Rumors start floating that the certain 5th gen options may not be available by that time. My wife again steps up and tells me to get serious and find a dealer who will sell me the car I want for 38K drive out, and I can order my car.
I begin calling dealers and talking numbers. I go to three dealers, and none of them will even come near what I need. I contact a fourth dealer and they get close but aren’t quite to my 38K max, but they are close enough that I convince my wife with the order time frame we can make the budget work. She says go for it, I am so excited I can barely contain myself. The evening before I am supposed to go order my car another dealer randomly calls me. The new dealer steps up and says we can’t do 38K drive out but we will beat your other dealer by $500. Needless to say the second dealer earned my business.
April 10, 2015 at 1141 in the morning my baby is ordered, and the real wait begins. I can’t even begin to thank all of the people who have been involved in this journey. Mike (MLee) the nice guy I met so many years ago at the Houston Auto Show, Doug (Tag Ur It) the awesome mod from San Antonio who has helped with insight in difficult decisions, and made my first Fest a blast. Everyone I met at Camaro Fest 5, Billie and Glen, Mike, Lori and Matt, Becky and the team from Rodgers Chevrolet, I know there are others that I can’t remember.

Last edited by Superman09; 05-26-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Blown & Cammed LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Some of y'all know me others don't. But this has been a long time coming for me but I have finally placed an order for a 2015 Ashen gray metallic 1SS/RS 1LE with Recaro seats and Performance exhaust.
Now the wait begins.
congrats on the new purchase im sure its going to be sweet
Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
edster8912

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
Congrats and enjoy your new addiction
edster8912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Superman09
Account SNAFU

And I have a TPW 5/11 can't get here soon enough
Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Houston we have a VIN!!!!!
2G1FG1EW2F9270119 Built and Bayed
Old 06-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
Superman09
Account SNAFU

And she has arrived. More pictures tomorrow after I stop driving her for 5 minutes.

Last edited by Superman09; 06-02-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
NICE!! Congrats on a wonderful ride!

Kurt ABL99...
Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Guess I should make a mods post.
1. Exhaust fuse pulled approximately 30 minutes after taking delivery. I LOVE loud
2. Not really a mod but just installed the factory oil separator.

Planned mods.
1. Skip shift eliminator. Damn thing is annoying, yes avoidable but still annoying. Probably installing tomorrow if I can get space on a lift.
2. Elite or apex catch can
3. CAI intake (maybe a scoop)
4. Washer relocation kit back towards the brake reservoir (can't remember name at the moment)
5. Possibly a noweeds kit. (I like loud)
Those should take place at or before fest, funds permitting.
May also pick up a VTC but I have no problems with throttle response and I'm still learning this clutch and trans.
Also ordered a bunch of Adam's polish stuff to keep her clean.
Anyone else have any "must have" simple mods? I'm always open to suggestions.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
dfirehawkc

Drives: n/a
the real hero

Looks like the real hero in this story is your wife! I hope you gave her something special. Congrats on your camaro!
dfirehawkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Greenoctane

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Great Story. Congrats, brother.
Greenoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Not exactly a car mod, but I did the key recall reverse tonight. Gotta say, I love having a switchblade key again.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
Superman09
Account SNAFU

More mods

Well the real mods have finally begun. First was blue interior and trunk lights, and white plate lights from Diode Dynamics. Gotta say these lights are nice. I got the lowest power version. For the interior its great and not overpowering, the trunk could be alittle brighter, but it works for me. The plate lights work very well even with them being pointed at an angle to the plate, it is still well lit.

Next I got Oracle side marker lights and a Vitesse throttle controller from bluebonn. The Oracle lights are awesome, and completely disappear into the side of the car.

The Vitesse was surprisingly easy to install, but that could be due to having experience with those little clips, and how to easily remove them. I placed the controller behind the ignition, and the box I velcroed on the side panel just behind the OBD2 port.

Coming later this week, I will be getting the windows tinted, as well as a Rotofab intake, and an Apex Catch Can.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Roto-Fab intake and Apex catch can have been installed finally, and also got the windows tinted.
The Roto-Fab install was straight forward, and very easy. The catch can was just as easy, and only the hose routing to my liking.

The Roto-Fab intake is awesome, and really sounds and makes a difference in the upper RPMs. Haven't driven far enough with the catch can to really check it yet, but the peace of mind it provides is nice. I will take pictures of the tint after I give her a bath this evening (can't post pictures of a dirty car)