Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Hellion Twin Turbo Kit Review

It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.


I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

All in all I'm pleased and Hellion is a reliable company I recommend to anyone.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,410
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS




Glad you got it all worked out... Thats customer service at its finest... Enjoy that new beast...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....
 
AngelSpeedFreak's Avatar
 
Drives: Boosted, Cammed, Bagged, Dipped...
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,853
So you installed this yourself? How long did the install take?
__________________
AngelSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
BLACK10

 
BLACK10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 5,015
congrats!
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Jchaluja

 
Jchaluja's Avatar
 
Drives: Twin Turbo Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,274
let me know when you'll be in Jax, I would love to get a peek of your car and perhaps compare it to mine! I too have twins set up like the Helion kit with a stroker engine.....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post




Glad you got it all worked out... Thats customer service at its finest... Enjoy that new beast...
Thanks SSE ;-) ... I don't think the super charger guys understand the amount of torque these turbo's create. It is just sick!

Just waiting on my eBoost2 boost controller and I should be good to go!
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
So you installed this yourself? How long did the install take?
It took me three days, only because I had to have a new intake pipe fabricated to fit my intake manifold (Edelbrock Victor Jr.) and I sent my exhaust manifolds for ceramic coating.

If your car is stock and you have a lift, it can be done in 10-12 hours. Just time the installation with the Hellion business hours so they're there to answer any questions you might have.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
let me know when you'll be in Jax, I would love to get a peek of your car and perhaps compare it to mine! I too have twins set up like the Helion kit with a stroker engine.....
Actually I live in Ponte Vedra and would love to meet up some time. I have two other buddies that live in McCleaney (one with a turbo Camaro and one with a Ken Bell SC Camaro), we get together out there occasionally on weekends to work on/tune our cars perhaps you could join us some time.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact info.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
tsears

 
tsears's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99 - CGM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 850
Lets see some vids!
__________________
2007 Corvette Z06 - Velocity Yellow
Halltech | Forgestar | Bilstein
tsears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Jchaluja

 
Jchaluja's Avatar
 
Drives: Twin Turbo Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
Actually I live in Ponte Vedra and would love to meet up some time. I have two other buddies that live in McCleaney (one with a turbo Camaro and one with a Ken Bell SC Camaro), we get together out there occasionally on weekends to work on/tune our cars perhaps you could join us some time.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact info.
Sounds good, I replied to your PM. I also have a buddy with a TT Escalade (installed it because he liked my TT setup) and another with a Jeep Cherokee SRT8 (about to install a Procharger).

We use HP Tuners and are always messing around with the tune and trying things out. I live in JGCC (by Hodges and JTB), close to PV.
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
TurboneticsSL

 
TurboneticsSL's Avatar
 
Drives: Turbocharged
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Coast to Coast
Posts: 51
I am glad everything is up and running. Congrats! Videos please!
TurboneticsSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Blkcamaro757
 
Drives: 2010 camaro RS SS 6speed
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.


I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

All in all I'm pleased and Hellion is a reliable company I recommend to anyone.
Yeah these turbos make alot of torque. Mine made 615hp and 675tq to the wheels on my stock setup with BAP 52lbs injectors.
Blkcamaro757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
realsquash
 
realsquash's Avatar
 
Drives: Four Door Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SE WI
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.


I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

All in all I'm pleased and Hellion is a reliable company I recommend to anyone.
Could you share the dyno charts with the Whipple and Turbo?

Andy
realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
BackinBlack
KASPR
 
BackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Bloomfield MI
Posts: 285
Is you car faster with the turbos than the were with the whipple? If you did any kind of measurements I'd love to know what you did, how you did it, and what the results were.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
Bad Dad

 
Bad Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS , 2014 LML 3500 SIVERAD
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Naples Florida
Posts: 1,021
Thumbs up Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.


I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

All in all I'm pleased and Hellion is a reliable company I recommend to anyone.
Sounds like everything worked out keep us posted on the performance and any issues, those turbos are sick
__________________


SUICIDE BY RACECAR
Bad Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #16
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown
 
LSX-80MM's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen St Mary,Fla.
Posts: 469
Car is SICKGonna have to start ramping the boost up now
__________________
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.1006rwhp/1087rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by realsquash View Post
Could you share the dyno charts with the Whipple and Turbo?

Andy
I tune the car myself and I don't have a dyno, so I don't have charts; I can tell you though, the torque from the turbos is just sick from 4000 rpm up.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad View Post
Sounds like everything worked out keep us posted on the performance and any issues, those turbos are sick
Will do
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
shines
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboneticsSL View Post
I am glad everything is up and running. Congrats! Videos please!
LSX80MM and I are going to do some testing and tuning on our cars this weekend, I'll shoot some video then
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling my Twin Turbo Kit Charlie Williams USA - California 1 08-02-2011 09:19 AM
TT question metallicide Forced Induction - V8 24 01-30-2011 06:30 PM
STS Twin Turbo Kits On Sale! tbyrne Forced Induction 26 02-08-2010 07:31 AM
HELLION TWIN TURBO SRT8 CHALLENGER GEIST LS9 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 1 12-12-2009 02:04 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.