Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Black Gen 5 polish / detail help

Hi guys,

I have a Black '15 Z/28 which is new to me. When I compound with Megs Ultimate Compound I'm getting holograms and pretty significant micromarring. Surface is clayed and clean. I was following up with megs ultimate polish and a black hex logic pad. If I used any pressure or greater than speed 4 I got micromarring on a second test spot. Unfortunately with no weight on a porter cable I didn't have the power to get the micromarring out of my first test spot.

I got megs 205 but decided to ammo reflex the car for the rest of the winter and strip the reflex in spring and correct in spring. Anyone able to post a pad / product combo for gen 5 black paint? Unfortunately I have decent scratches on almost every panel so I think it's a full compound to polish. Based on my second test spot I could get to a 70% correction with a one step.

Here's what I tried, all with a porter cable:

Spot 1:
- Megs Ultimate Compound, med pressure, orange hex logic pad; cleared scratches but left a decent amount of micromarring
- Followed up with Megs Ultimate Polish, med pressure, black hex logic pad; micromarring reduced but still fine micromarring present. Not sure you'd see it in the sun but it's not clear paint black paint

Spot 2:
- Megs Ultimate Compound, med pressure, black hex logic pad; cleared some serious scratches on an edge but I did the pass at speed setting 6 and got a few holograms and serious haze
- tried VSS on a orange pad to clear up, was terrible. Didn't remove light scratches and did not improve micromarring / hazing. Def don't recommend this product - it did nothing to improve paint
- finished with megs polish - improved micromarring and cleared holograms but micromarring remains

Spot 3:
- Megs ultimate polish, speed 4.5, black pad no pressure - cleared up swirls and light scratches. Limited micromarring but significant scratches only dulled

Compound passes at speed 5, 4 - 6 section passes. Cleaned pads between uses. Polish passes at speed 4 - 4.5.

I put ammo reflex on the car and it seems to dull the micromarring, swirls and scratches all around. E.g., spot 3 looks like clear paint now but it's cheating...

Any leads would really be appreciated. Starting to think the clear doesn't like the hexlogic pads.

kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Sorry I am not familiar with Megs products, however check out this video you may pick up some tips that will help you.
I will say do a 2x2 test spot so you will know what it's going to take to get your paint perfect. Also go slow and make sure you are applying enough pressure.

A d a m s P o l i s h e s . c o m
use the code CAMARO5 CAMARO6 or CORVETTE for 10% off your next order
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Bamaguy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Sorry to here about your troubles. All my vehicles are black and I am constantly working on some paint correction it seems like. I am not familiar with the Megs Ultimate Compound... is this similar to their M105? Have you tried using the M205 after the compound?
Bamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaguy View Post
Sorry to here about your troubles. All my vehicles are black and I am constantly working on some paint correction it seems like. I am not familiar with the Megs Ultimate Compound... is this similar to their M105? Have you tried using the M205 after the compound?
I believe the Megs Ultimate is a "user friendly" version of their compounds.

On a black Honda with bad marring from a snow brush, I was able to get it out 100% with m105 with orange pad followed by m205 white pad. Lake country pads on a porter cable. That combo is an excellent one, and I have had great luck with it on a few heavily neglected cars. See Junkman Videos on youtube for a good reference on it.

Prior: 2012 Honda Civic Si M6 (Sold) Injen Intake
2001 Camaro SS A4 (Sold) SLP Lid, SLP LM2, Chrs1313 Intake, K&N Filter, UMI STB, LCA, & PHB
1994 Firebird Trans Am A4 (totaled) K&N CAI, Pacesetter LT, Magnaflow CB
BeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Have a look into this.

https://youtu.be/XR7FjbCDWlU
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Are you using an old school rotary buffer or a modern dual action?
I detail cars for years with the old buffers and had no issues with swirls. But todays compounds are different or something. I bought a dual action just to get the swirls out of my black cars. I also use mequires products.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
onegoofydad

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I have a 14 Black as well.
To date my best combo has been Chemical Guys V32 and an orange hex logic pad, followed with Carpro Essence using a DMF pad. Porter Cable 7424.

I am planning to do some more testing this weekend, will let you know what my results are and try and get some before and after pictures.

Checkout my Youtube Channel
onegoofydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
105 on an orange pad and 205 on a white pad is a solid compound/polish combo. I'm not a fan of the ultimate compound/polish myself and use 105/205. I do this with my griots garage DA polisher

Could be the pads are too aggressive. So you could try the compound on a less aggressive pad and see the results from that. Slowing down the buffer might help. Could also try the polish on the more aggressive pad to see if that will also get rid of the scratches. I know 205 with an orange pad will clear up most of, if not all of, the swirls in my cars paint currently
Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I did a spot polish with Megs UC on my car, it left a lot of marring for me as well.

I get much better results with Megs D300, and their DMC microfiber cutting pad.

The UC is great for finishing gel coat though. Removes 1500 - 2000 grit sanding marks, and moderate oxidation.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #10
Bamaguy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Agreed on the M105/M205 combo. A few friends use this on their vehicles... cannot argue the results. If I ever get rid of my Mercedes I will most likely switch to this combo verses the Menzerna polishes I currently use.
Bamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
A Porter Cable 7424xp should be fine to resolve your correction/polishing issues.
However, it will be slower going than some of the newer long throw machines.

Always use the least aggressive method to obtain the desired results.
The 4 P's - Paint, Pads, Polish & Process are the key to obtaining "show car" results.

There are thousands of combinations and IMHO each paint needs to be "dialed in"

A few thoughts:
On a PC/DA machine I'd only use a 5" BP. I like the Meguiars DBP5 5" BP.
I would purchase pads that are 5"-5.5" in diameter for the 5" backing plate.

Megs Ultimate Compound is based on M105 non diminishing SMAT technology.
Meguiars M105 is quite a bit coarser than Megs UC and is not "user friendly".

Megs Ultimate Polish is based on the M205 non diminishing SMAT technology.
Megs UP contains a lot of polishing oils and allows for a longer work time.

Where I would start...
The goal is to do paint correction (level the paint remove swirls etc.) then polish.

I'd suggest the Meguiars DMC5 DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, 5 inches
This pad should achieve correction (leveling the paint) with minimal "fog".
For the Megs DMC5 pad I have had great results using Capro Essence polish.

Video: This is my very first video attempt - (I did the vid with my iPhone)

The products I used on this one...

Compound: Rupes 21 MKI w/5" BP, 5" Megs mf discs, Megs M101 & D300.
Polish: Rupes 15 MKII, Megs microfiber finishing discs and Carpro Essence.
Small Areas: Porter Cable 7424xp, 3" Backing plate and 3" Megs mf discs.

After you've done the mf/Essence, I'd follow with a 5" Carpro Gloss Pad and Essence Plus (non abrasive)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #12
kramard

Thanks for all the replies guys. As soon as we get some nice weather and its not all salt and snow here I'll do my correction. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #13
kramard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
A Porter Cable 7424xp should be fine to resolve your correction/polishing issues.
However, it will be slower going than some of the newer long throw machines.

Always use the least aggressive method to obtain the desired results.
The 4 P's - Paint, Pads, Polish & Process are the key to obtaining "show car" results.

There are thousands of combinations and IMHO each paint needs to be "dialed in"

A few thoughts:
On a PC/DA machine I'd only use a 5" BP. I like the Meguiars DBP5 5" BP.
I would purchase pads that are 5"-5.5" in diameter for the 5" backing plate.

Megs Ultimate Compound is based on M105 non diminishing SMAT technology.
Meguiars M105 is quite a bit coarser than Megs UC and is not "user friendly".

Megs Ultimate Polish is based on the M205 non diminishing SMAT technology.
Megs UP contains a lot of polishing oils and allows for a longer work time.

Where I would start...
The goal is to do paint correction (level the paint remove swirls etc.) then polish.

I'd suggest the Meguiars DMC5 DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, 5 inches
This pad should achieve correction (leveling the paint) with minimal "fog".
For the Megs DMC5 pad I have had great results using Capro Essence polish.

Video: This is my very first video attempt - (I did the vid with my iPhone)

The products I used on this one...

Compound: Rupes 21 MKI w/5" BP, 5" Megs mf discs, Megs M101 & D300.
Polish: Rupes 15 MKII, Megs microfiber finishing discs and Carpro Essence.
Small Areas: Porter Cable 7424xp, 3" Backing plate and 3" Megs mf discs.

After you've done the mf/Essence, I'd follow with a 5" Carpro Gloss Pad and Essence Plus (non abrasive)
Awesome results and post. Will reference this post when I do my full correction. How many section passes did you do with the rupes? 4 - 6 for each spot? Car looks awesome.