Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
CALLAWAY11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Callaway
By doing this, will it devalue my car

Hi there, I have a question for you guys and hopefully with some of your thoughts this might help my decision. I own a 2011 2SS/RS Callaway. It is currently in the shop getting some mods done that I have been patiently waiting to get installed since I purchased it. First off let me say about how much I love this car. Before buying one, I had no idea that by owning a camaro how it will affect your life. I am completely obsessed with it. I went from a ford focus to a honda accord and then to a Callaway camaro Talk about an upgrade! Lol. I got the mod bug with my honda and it never stopped. I "thought" my honda had a lot of aftermarket parts available. Wow, with this camaro the sky is the limit. I happened to stumble upon this car while browsing on the internet. Then did my research on it and was amazed. I got a great price on it with very low miles. It wasn't much more expensive then a 2 SS. Holy cow these cars are sick and these cars on C5 are amazing. So after that short intro here is my question. My car is in the shop right now getting a bunch of exterior mods done along with a new stereo system. Mostly lighting, a heritage grill, oracle mirrors, technostalgia lights. I purchased and have already painted the 3d carbon side vents, but just not sure about pulling the trigger of cutting a whole in the fenders. I want to remove my supercharger emblems on the hood and plasti dipping my callaway emblems. I am already thinking about making it faster, but callway has only one performance package. Would it be a bad idea to have someone else work on my car and by doing all these things will this hurt the value of the car in the future?
CALLAWAY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
rebelyell22
V1 Rotate

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Yea it will. Mods like that drastically reduce the market for your car too
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
CALLAWAY11

I guess I should have said how badly. When I traded in my honda I did not get one penny more for all the mods that was done which was a lot. But I still got the Kelley blue book value. I know going into it that I am not going to get back the money, the exterior mods I can always change back. But performance mods is what I am thinking about. Is this a rare car that could be worth something in the future? There are so many one of camaro out there.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Gr8ride

Drives: Camaro 2Lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Yea it will. Mods like that drastically reduce the market for your car too
what he said, but at the same time, so will driving it occasionally and just having it sit in your garage, It's your car and you are most likely never going to get back anywhere near as much as paid for it or added in mods, the mods might even make it harder to sell but what the hell man, Its your car enjoy it.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Jarret

Drives: 2014 1SS RS
Just an FYI, I saw 2 threads on here earlier today while browsing about the Technostalgia lights and them having issues with them

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352903

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351382
Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Selling it yourself you can charge whatever you want. Depending on your mods you might get up to 20% back. To a dealer no you will not get anything extra unless you are lucky.
But cars are not investments or rather not good ones.

-PoorMansCamaro
i2disturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
CALLAWAY11

[QUOTE=Jarret;7581748]Just an FYI, I saw 2 threads on here earlier today while browsing about the Technostalgia lights and them having issues with them

My installer knows about the issue with lights draining power over time while the car is not running. He suggested to put a switch on the tail lights to turn the power off to them. I guess I just better remember to them on, and hopefully I won't have issues with them getting moisture in them. It's not my DD.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
it's your car and if you get enjoyment from its worth it you never get your money back on your mods but they are so much fun. Enjoy

Hurst Short Throw Shifter, K&N CAI, SRP Racing Pedals, GM Performance Exhaust, GM GFX Package
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Are you planning on keeping it for 50 years in the hopes of it being collectable? If not, who cares. Mod it. Put a roof rack on it, loaded with 65 strobe lights if you want to. If you're asking about "value", as in a trade-in years down the road, you'll never get your money back from mods. You can dump $20,000 worth of mods into a $40,000 car and you still only have a $40,000 car (minus depreciation). I personally wouldn't cut up a Callaway and put goofy lights all over it. It's your choice.
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Generally speaking from a collector's standpoint, altering a "special edition" vehicle from factory configuration/specs will lower its value. However, there are people out there who will like the mods you make and are willing to pay for them. You just have to find them.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
If your installer has a tiny bit of electrical knowledge ( and he should), have him install a simple relay off of switched accessory power for your taillights. I wouldn't want to have to remember to flick a switch, (on and off), everytime I got in/out of the car!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
We need pics! And who cares if it "devalues" it. So does just owning it lol. Make it your own and enjoy it.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
If the car is an investment, leave it alone. If it is a toy, do as you please, and accept a loss if that's what it comes down to over time.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Any mods you do will only hurt the value. Mainly because you are narrowing the amount of people that would want your car. Usually if you decide to sell it you are better off removing all mods and returning it to stock (or as close as you can get) then selling the mods at a discount. Most people prefer an untainted car as lots of gremlins can appear with aftermarket changes and they'd rather not deal with them.

That said if you find the right person you could get more than normal but the problem is you may have to wait a while to find them. My opinion is it's your car. So who cares what someone else thinks. Do what you want and enjoy it or leave it alone and then trade it in on something else down the line.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Just don't do anything that can't be returned to origional and then keep any parts your take off. You can always include them in the sale if the new owner wants to return it to origional condition.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote