Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Detailing engine bay?

What's your method? Mmi don't have an engine cover and not sure what's best way to spray out and clean up a little?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • Lime Green Custom Vinyl • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • 416.5 whp 410 torque
TwentyTen2SSRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #2
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
there are several videos on youtube about it. The way that I find most people doing is using a pressure washer (cover fuse box and other electrical components), or if you want to do it right use water and a special nozzle that allows you to mist your engine bay. Wipe it down and then go over it all with a rag and degreaser, then go back to water and wipe down whatever is left over. You will fall in love again with it.
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I can watch Ashley ALL DAY!

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #4
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
I don't drive my car all that much, 2 years and its still nearly like it rolled off the assembly line.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #5
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
My car is 5 years old and still looks show room new, not a DD so I only have to dust off the engine bay with a brush. With other cars I use Simply Green and hose off, becareful of electrical parts, you can put a plastic bag over them to make sure they dont get wet.

Hurst Short Throw Shifter, K&N CAI, SRP Racing Pedals, GM Performance Exhaust, GM GFX Package
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #6
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I spray liberal amounts of Formula 409... let it sit 5-10 minutes... power wash lightly (I use power wash simply because it uses less water, not for power)... towel dry. I don't spray any electrical stuff.

make sure your engine is cold... don't want to crack heads or anything. But when done, start up engine and let it warm up so it can burn off any extra water.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I can watch Ashley ALL DAY!

So she just sprays willie nillie, with no concern for the alternator or anything. I know I would need to cover or avoid my exposed air filter, but what about other parts?

Can I really just spray like that? Am I over concerned with over spray of water on to these electrical parts? I have never cleaned my engine bay for this reason.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
So she just sprays willie nillie, with no concern for the alternator or anything. I know I would need to cover or avoid my exposed air filter, but what about other parts?

Can I really just spray like that? Am I over concerned with over spray of water on to these electrical parts? I have never cleaned my engine bay for this reason.
Follow her procedure and you'll be fine.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #9
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Spray engine bay with simple green and use paint brushes to brush move around all the dirt, then pressure wash. Repeat one more time. Super clean engine bay.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

Wow thanks guys! I am wondering about injector harness and coil harnesses since I don't have engine cover. I have to cover all of those too? Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422639135.558918.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  232.2 KB
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • Lime Green Custom Vinyl • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • 416.5 whp 410 torque
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #11
dmnhnters

Drives: 2010 SS
How to clean the Engine Bay the legit and safe way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
What's your method? Mmi don't have an engine cover and not sure what's best way to spray out and clean up a little?
1. Cover the alternator, fuse box, anything electrical that you can/think you should cover. (Wires should generally be fine with light water)

2. Spray Scrubbing Bubbles (I used Blue foam turns White can) over the whole engine bay area and let sit for 2 minutes. Scrubbing Bubbles does not have any chemicals that deteriorate or damage any non covered components.

3. Rinse with a hose (your thumb making the water shoot out with a little power). Never let the water stay in one area for too long. Sweep back and forth. Do NOT use a pressure washer because you don't want water to be forced into certain areas unknowingly.

4. Dry what you can reach with a towel and start car. Let run for a couple minutes because the engine heat will start making the water disappear.

5. Drive around the block a couple times to get rid of remaining water. Should look brand new.

This is how I do my engine bays. Do at your own risk and use caution as I am not responsible for any damage, etc.
dmnhnters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #12
TwentyTen2SSRS

Thanks! So you think light water on engine without cover will be fine? Was planning on using slow shower method setting I have on my nozzle, gently agitate, then rise and start engine
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #13
Cars and Tea
Some say...

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I recommend watching this:

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS AGM A6
1LE Suede Steering Wheel | 1LE Strut Tower Brace | Range AFM Device | Borla ATAK Axle Back
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #14
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
Spray engine bay with simple green and use paint brushes to brush move around all the dirt, then pressure wash. Repeat one more time. Super clean engine bay.
This has been my method too. Been doing it this way for years. I dilute the Simple Green with water first. It also works great on removing brake dust from wheels and cleaning spoked motorcycle wheels. Good stuff.
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #15
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post

Thanks man I'm going to give this a shot today!

Don't have pressure washer so I'll use the fine spray setting I have on nozzle