Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Bewenched

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Bewenched Send a message via MSN to Bewenched
New Theft Recovery Onstar Feature

I was at my dealership yesterday and he told me that there is a brand new feature being rolled out with our cars and onstar.

Basically if the car gets stolen and the police are notified OnStar has the ability to slow the car down to idle speed and the thief can go no faster!

It's also going to lower our insurance rates!!
Bewenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
that's been out for a while, from what i understand
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Krieger

Drives: American Cars
I don't believe all OnStar equipped vehicles have had this anti-theft feature in the past. Since the Camaro has OnStar standard it would be great to confirm with the insiders that it indeed has this more advanced functionality.

Thanks for bringing this up, one more Camaro feature to tell the wife about.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Nice but yea it's been an announced feature from the get go. Very nice feature.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
I believe Onstar already has an ignition immobilizer if the car is reported stolen. However, I am sure you have to have a current subscription to benefit for that feature..
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They don't kill the engine they idle it so you have power steering and brakes. But no throttle.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
They don't kill the engine they idle it so you have power steering and brakes. But no throttle.
This feature is on my 2009 Cadillac SRX. I received a 15% discount on my comprehensive insurance for having OnStar.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Bewenched

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Bewenched Send a message via MSN to Bewenched
They said it was only available on the newer GM models ... yes like the Caddy SRX.

Love it ... and the discount will be well worth the cost of keeping OnStar after the first year.
Bewenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewenched View Post
Love it ... and the discount will be well worth the cost of keeping OnStar after the first year.
Not really. It doesn't effect your total insurance cost just comprehensive (the part of the insurance that covers theft). The majority of people will only see a difference of $3-$4 a month.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
how much is onstar per month after the 1st year?

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
bobintuc

Drives: 2011 xm special edition
I have On star on my 07 Impala and this was part of the package If I remember correctly it was something like $200 for the renewal which is well worth the extra security
bobintuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
$20 a month or $200 a year.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
The BIRDman
Master ****sman

Drives: 1991 silverado
The BIRDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
They said it was only available on the newer GM models ... yes like the Caddy SRX.

My discount amounted to about $1.16 per month. Not sure that qualifies as "worth keeping OnStar" but every penny counts.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
CTS

Drives: 2009 Cadillac CTS4 & 2012 Denali CC
fyi.........

Quote:
WASHINGTON D.C. (October 9, 2007) — General Motors (GM) and OnStar demonstrated today a prototype technology that can help OnStar further assist in the safe recovery of our subscribers' stolen vehicles and reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from police chases. This new technology, known as Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, is the latest enhancement to OnStar's stolen vehicle service and can allow OnStar advisors working with law enforcement to send a signal to a subscriber's stolen vehicle to reduce engine power slowing the vehicle down gradually.

"From its inception, the motivation behind OnStar has been the safety and security of our subscribers and others on the road," said Chet Huber, OnStar president. "Every service we add builds on this original promise. The Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service will allow our subscribers added peace of mind by possibly preventing their vehicle from being used as an instrument of harm if it happens to be stolen."

According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics, about 30,000 police chases occur yearly and approximately 300 deaths occur as a result of those chases.

"Technology should not just entertain us or make us more comfortable, it should make us safer," said Nicole R. Nason, Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "We applaud innovations such as the kind GM is embracing that will make our roads better, our passengers more protected and our drivers safer."

"We look forward to having technologies like Stolen Vehicle Slowdown available to aid our officers in apprehending suspected car thieves and keeping our officers, highways and citizens safe," said David Hiller, national vice president, Fraternal Order of Police. "Since 1996, OnStar has assisted the law enforcement community by helping to locate stolen vehicles."

Powered by OnStar's newest generation of hardware (Generation 8), GM will make Stolen Vehicle Slowdown available on nearly 1.7 million Model Year (MY) 2009 vehicles. GM's largest division, Chevrolet, will be leading the way, making up for more than 60 percent of the total vehicles equipped with this new technology.

"Chevrolet aims to provide customers with more than they expect, and services like Stolen Vehicle Slowdown continue to add even more value to Chevy cars and trucks," said Ed Peper, general manager, Chevrolet. "Stolen Vehicle Slowdown will not only benefit GM and Chevy customers, but virtually everyone on the road."

Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is an enhancement to OnStar's Stolen Vehicle Assistance, which the company has offered to its subscribers since 1996. Stolen Vehicle Assistance uses Global Positioning Satellite technology to pinpoint the location of a vehicle that has been reported stolen. OnStar provides the location to law enforcement to assist with the vehicle's recovery. OnStar receives approximately 700 Stolen Vehicle Assistance requests from subscribers a month. The company has helped in 28,000 requests over the past decade.

"The IAFC sees this technology as an opportunity to improve the likelihood of a positive outcome for all involved in such dangerous road situations," said Chief Steven P. Westermann, President, International Association of Fire Chiefs. "On behalf of all firefighters, we appreciate the research and commitment of General Motors to tackle these issues and come up with a safe solution."

The process for Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is:

* Once the vehicle has been reported stolen to law enforcement, the subscriber can call OnStar and request Stolen Vehicle Assistance. OnStar will confirm the subscriber has not opted out of the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service.
* OnStar will use real-time GPS technology to attempt to pinpoint the exact location of the stolen vehicle and provide this information to law enforcement to help them recover the vehicle.
* When law enforcement has established a clear line of sight of the stolen vehicle, law enforcement may request OnStar to slow it down remotely.
* Safeguards will be in place to ensure that the correct vehicle is slowed down.
* OnStar then sends a remote signal to the vehicle that interacts with the Powertrain system to reduce engine power which will slow the vehicle down gradually.

Research has shown that 95 percent of OnStar subscribers want the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service available on their cars and trucks. OnStar subscribers have the choice to opt-out of the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service at any time by contacting OnStar if they prefer not to have this capability on their vehicle. This will not affect the rest of their OnStar services.

OnStar's Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is a GM-exclusive feature in the U.S. and Canada and will be included in the one year OnStar subscription that customers receive when purchasing an eligible MY 2009 OnStar-equipped vehicle. OnStar's suite of services also includes Automatic Crash Response, Emergency Services, Remote Door Unlock, Roadside Assistance, Crisis Assist, OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Hands Free Calling and OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics. For more information regarding OnStar's services, please visit www.onstar.com.
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
hoozat
Hoozat

Drives: 87 vette, 67 mustang, 10 2LTRS
The info CTS posted here is about what information my dealer gave me for the Vehicle recovery system.... my question to this reliability is that is the vehicle is stolen, and the thief breaks off the sharkfin from the roof, the gps is now inoperative, so the recovery feature is inoperative. Am I incorrect in this assumption? Would it be better to install lojack in conjunction with the onstar since lojack is running on the FM band and is not not easily jammable. Any ideas on this?
Since we're trying to keep our babies after all this looonnnggg wait.. I for one want whatever good technology is available to keep it.
hoozat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozat View Post
The info CTS posted here is about what information my dealer gave me for the Vehicle recovery system.... my question to this reliability is that is the vehicle is stolen, and the thief breaks off the sharkfin from the roof, the gps is now inoperative, so the recovery feature is inoperative. Am I incorrect in this assumption? Would it be better to install lojack in conjunction with the onstar since lojack is running on the FM band and is not not easily jammable. Any ideas on this?
Since we're trying to keep our babies after all this looonnnggg wait.. I for one want whatever good technology is available to keep it.
Actually lojack is VERY easily jammable. Just toss a lead lined blanket over the vehicle, car crooks do it all the time (blankets are actually available on the open market for cheap).

also just breaking off the shark fin wont make onstar dead. it will only reduce the pickup from the satellite, the quality of the signal may not be great and they may have to send commands several times before it gets through but its still possible.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
hoozat
Hoozat

Drives: 87 vette, 67 mustang, 10 2LTRS
lojack

Thanks for the update.... I'll have to remember that lead blanket when they want to sell me a lojack... very interesting.... I'm sure they already have a way to jam the onstar too.. not too encouraging...

:(
hoozat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
Thanks for bringing this up, one more Camaro feature to tell the wife about.
Women are always up for saving money!!!

I know

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
SQUALO
Early Production "SS"

Drives: 2010 SS IOM/WHITE RALLYS.
Quote:
I was at my dealership yesterday and he told me that there is a brand new feature being rolled out with our cars and onstar.

Basically if the car gets stolen and the police are notified OnStar has the ability to slow the car down to idle speed and the thief can go no faster!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #21
orangeinfernoman

Drives: 2010 camaro ss ls3 iom
call on star if you go at dragstrip

hey guys

at the race track if i finish the day in semi final ,i will call on star to declare the cars of my competitors,and i will win
orangeinfernoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #22
cyberbro

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro
Quote:

Then the Trunk Monkey beats the living s**t out of them!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
lafountain

Drives: 1995 3.8L Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #24
billw501

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Does anyone know for sure if Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and/or Remote Ignition Block is part of the Camaro OnStar? The OnStar web site only shows 2009 and earlier models.
billw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Yes, it does. It made the news yesterday too.