Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #69
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbboomer54 View Post
I certainly hope your right. I will taking delivery of mine 3 states away. And if delivery is around March there is a good chance that temps will be in unrecommended range. I don't trust the car remaining at the dearlership until nice weather decides to roll around. GM needs to put out more than what is stated in the TSB. They need a set of recommendations for different situations. And when I get the car back home. I don't want to have to dismount the rims and tires and stick them in the basement. That's just wrong. I'm not paying $60k for a car to put it up on blocks even if I'm not driving it. While I respect some of the suggestions and opinions offered on the forum, the only one that really matters is GM's. So please GM. Put out something that provides some detailed best practices and recommendations to those of us in cold weather climates so that it won't force us to spend another couple grand. The recommendations provided in the TSB still leave a lot of room for different factors and situations.
This is no different than what we have now. The tires are summer tires, and should be used accordingly the same with any performance vehicle.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #70
gbosh
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 78
Too all who have followed my posting about the tire issue on 12/02/2011,it took on a life of it's own! Now it even has a sticky as well.
Now don't get too comfortable thinking about driving this car in the snow belt states! There is still some big problems some of you have not considered.
GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #71
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 26,430
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
The car has undergone the same ridiculous foul-weather testing as all GM cars and trucks do. If it didn't pass, it wasn't being built.

Any concerns are customer-generated...in other words...from me:

There's no way in hell I'm driving this car in the winter unless someone is dying, and all other vehicles in the house are broken down. I want it to stay nice as possible.

That's not to say I don't believe it'll survive...but I'm not putting it through the salt. I wouldn't do it with an SS, either.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #72
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
My friend, when they refer to "vacuum", they are referring to the process used in creating the carbon fiber part, NOT to the "fact" that the hood is some sort of "Hoover" or "Electrolux", or contributes greatly to some sort of "ground effects" at work "sucking" the car down to the road surface...

Vacuum-bagged carbon fiber is exactly that: after the part is formed, it is put in a bag which has vacuum applied to remove as much air as possible, making the part as dense and non-porous as possible, which enhances its ultimate strength after heating/curing.

Tires. Hoods. Now what?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #73
IOMZL1

 
IOMZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
My friend, when they refer to "vacuum", they are referring to the process used in creating the carbon fiber part, NOT to the "fact" that the hood is some sort of "Hoover" or "Electrolux", or contributes greatly to some sort of "ground effects" at work "sucking" the car down to the road surface...
To be fair the extractor does release high pressure from under the car, in effect creating downforce. This could be considered a weak vacuum. Aaand that's where I'll stop.
__________________


Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

https://www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #74
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 26,430
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
My friend, when they refer to "vacuum", they are referring to the process used in creating the carbon fiber part, NOT....[that it] contributes greatly to some sort of "ground effects" at work "sucking" the car down to the road surface...
Agreed with everything else you wrote but this (^)...

Because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
To be fair the extractor does release high pressure from under the car, in effect creating downforce. This could be considered a weak vacuum.
Both in terms of drawing air out from the engine compartment by directly venting hot air from behind the radiator, reducing lift...and the resulting downforce generated from the slipstream blowing over the hood...

It does suck help suck the car down to the road a little bit...

I wouldn't drive my ZL1 through the living room to clean the carpets, though...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #75
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro
 
Scarrzz's Avatar
 
Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana, CO, GA, TX, etc.
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

It does suck help suck the car down to the road a little bit...

I wouldn't drive my ZL1 through the living room to clean the carpets, though...


But it just might be worth it to see the look on the cat's face !
__________________
.
__________________________________
................................................The Faithful are Watching.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #76
HumanWiki
'16 2SS on order
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
There is still some big problems some of you have not considered. GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
You know the roads aren't free of debris, dust, contaminants, etc. all other times of the year, right?

That also means you shouldn't drive down dusty roads, dirt/sand roads, definitely nothing near a construction site. Skip all road construction routes. Etc.

Skip driving behind any "big rig" anywhere within a mile or so of it due to lingering chemicals in the air from the exhaust. Stay away from cars leaking oil, burning oil or otherwise bad combustion from their tail pipes. You're going to need to avoid dense traffic altogether, because there's no telling what will get "sucked up" in to the engine bay.

Some of you guys act like this car is some dainty little princess that can't handle even the slightest bit of stress.
__________________
Cur: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
On Order: '16 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic, Ceramic White, nonNPP, MX0, 56R, MRC, S0O LPO, S0J LPO, IO6 Nav
HumanWiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #77
MikeC5
Nomad
 
MikeC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St.Petersburg FL
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
But it just might be worth it to see the look on the cat's face !

What was that thing?
Attached Images
 
__________________
Nomad = No club affiliation at this time
2011 IOM 2SS/RS
MikeC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #78
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Both in terms of drawing air out from the engine compartment by directly venting hot air from behind the radiator, reducing lift...and the resulting downforce generated from the slipstream blowing over the hood...

It does suck help suck the car down to the road a little bit...

I wouldn't drive my ZL1 through the living room to clean the carpets, though...
Chevrolet, in their preliminary info, mentioned "vacuum carbon fiber"...which is a manufacturing technique NOT employed on every carbon fiber part. It's an extra step to help ensure more uniform thickness, less "captured" air within the c/f and, ultimately, stronger-denser-lighter pieces.

Since then, all manner of erroneous info about "vacuum" has been propogated about the hood/car.

An effective extractor hood will allow otherwise-trapped air to escape, decreasing lift. Whether it's made from c/f or LEAD is irrelevant.

And, frankly, any Camaro sporting a big-ass rear blade spoiler SHOULD have an effective front splitter and/or extractor hood to stabilize and maintain the balance of the overall car, front-to-rear. Tall blade spoilers capture more air which then pushes down on the rear which, without a counterbalance, will LIFT the front...think "fulcrum", or "teeter-totter"...

Admittedly, correct aero is less of an issue at legal highway speeds...but for those wanting to "Maxton Mile" their ZL1s, you'll be very happy GM spent some time in the 'tunnel.

Just like the erroneous info being propogated about the use of summer-only tires by people with little/no first-hand experience in serious winter conditions, be they temperature- or snow-related. Wrong tire choice could cost you your ride...and worse...

Rant over...back on-topic...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #79
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 26,430
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Chevrolet, in their preliminary info, mentioned "vacuum carbon fiber"...which is a manufacturing technique NOT employed on every carbon fiber part. It's an extra step to help ensure more uniform thickness, less "captured" air within the c/f and, ultimately, stronger-denser-lighter pieces.

Since then, all manner of erroneous info about "vacuum" has been propogated about the hood/car.

An effective extractor hood will allow otherwise-trapped air to escape, decreasing lift. Whether it's made from c/f or LEAD is irrelevant.

And, frankly, any Camaro sporting a big-ass rear blade spoiler SHOULD have an effective front splitter and/or extractor hood to stabilize and maintain the balance of the overall car, front-to-rear. Tall blade spoilers capture more air which then pushes down on the rear which, without a counterbalance, will LIFT the front...think "fulcrum", or "teeter-totter"...

Admittedly, correct aero is less of an issue at legal highway speeds...but for those wanting to "Maxton Mile" their ZL1s, you'll be very happy GM spent some time in the 'tunnel.

Just like the erroneous info being propogated about the use of summer-only tires by people with little/no first-hand experience in serious winter conditions, be they temperature- or snow-related. Wrong tire choice could cost you your ride...and worse...

Rant over...back on-topic...
All very good info and commentary!!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #80
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Chevrolet, in their preliminary info, mentioned "vacuum carbon fiber"...which is a manufacturing technique NOT employed on every carbon fiber part. It's an extra step to help ensure more uniform thickness, less "captured" air within the c/f and, ultimately, stronger-denser-lighter pieces.

Since then, all manner of erroneous info about "vacuum" has been propogated about the hood/car.

An effective extractor hood will allow otherwise-trapped air to escape, decreasing lift. Whether it's made from c/f or LEAD is irrelevant.

And, frankly, any Camaro sporting a big-ass rear blade spoiler SHOULD have an effective front splitter and/or extractor hood to stabilize and maintain the balance of the overall car, front-to-rear. Tall blade spoilers capture more air which then pushes down on the rear which, without a counterbalance, will LIFT the front...think "fulcrum", or "teeter-totter"...

Admittedly, correct aero is less of an issue at legal highway speeds...but for those wanting to "Maxton Mile" their ZL1s, you'll be very happy GM spent some time in the 'tunnel.

Just like the erroneous info being propogated about the use of summer-only tires by people with little/no first-hand experience in serious winter conditions, be they temperature- or snow-related. Wrong tire choice could cost you your ride...and worse...

Rant over...back on-topic...
I love learning! Thanks LOWDOWN.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #81
mr02Z/28

 
Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phila.,PA
Posts: 964
Don't be wimpy afraid of the cold weather !!!!!!! This car is going to make a statement and you shouldn't let a set of tires frighten you guys... Buy a set of All Season Performers if you are that worried and honestly those that say they are gonna use a ZL1 as a Daily Driver are full of BS.... and are they really gonna cover Powertrain/Drivetrain warranties if you race at the Track and you break something ????
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #82
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
Don't be wimpy afraid of the cold weather !!!!!!! This car is going to make a statement and you shouldn't let a set of tires frighten you guys... Buy a set of All Season Performers if you are that worried and honestly those that say they are gonna use a ZL1 as a Daily Driver are full of BS.... and are they really gonna cover Powertrain/Drivetrain warranties if you race at the Track and you break something ????
Uhm..... It never hurts to ask.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #83
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 26,430
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
Don't be wimpy afraid of the cold weather !!!!!!! This car is going to make a statement and you shouldn't let a set of tires frighten you guys...
These tires, on this car, in the winter...should frighten everybody!

Buy a set of All Season Performers if you are that worried
Do you know of anybody that produces a 305/20 All-Season?

and honestly those that say they are gonna use a ZL1 as a Daily Driver are full of BS....
I'd be one of those. And "honestly"...I'm not full of BS.

and are they really gonna cover Powertrain/Drivetrain warranties if you race at the Track and you break something ????
It would have to break first, wouldn't it? Seriously though...they've never covered damage suffered at a HPDE. Considering the track-testing this car endured...maybe this could change?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #84
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Dragoneye, where's your LOCK?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #85
mr02Z/28

 
Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phila.,PA
Posts: 964
So make your car a Garage Queen.... I'm sure this car isn't made to be a Daily Driver, as you may think.......I am betting most folks that purchase this ZL1 are going to park it for nice sunny days, I can't imagine anyone that would even try to drive this car @ 32 degrees with a chance of Snow...seriously....and if someone says it's going to be used as a DD, I'll call the bluff....Anyway, I bet by March there will be tire sizes that will be All Weather for the ZL1....



If you ever race... you shold know....always a possibility of breakage...doesn't matter how tough the the quality control is on the parts...stuff will break
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Papa John's Giving Away Free Pizza To Any Camaro Owner Tomorrow! Blue Maro Demon 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 332 02-13-2012 11:29 PM
SLP ZL1 TESTED!!!!! SVT_SRT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 08-03-2011 09:50 AM
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-22-2011 11:51 AM
Tire Monitoring System monevz28 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 7 11-22-2009 04:42 PM
Any V8 Owners have to buy a new set of tires yet domano 68 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 0 08-27-2009 06:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.