Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

ZL1 Wheels/Tires Wheels and tires discussion for ZL1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #201
Mgizzle
 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 560
I put over 1000 miles on my 1LE in Michigan, got it on November 16th of 2012. 90% of my driving is usually at nights after work or when the wife and kids are tired and in bed (yes, I did sneak out at 1am a few times while the streets are open and quiet). After 700 miles I drove the car like I stole it, in many cases during 30 degree weather. I've hit many 360 degree freeway on/off ramps pushing the car hard and never ran into issues. The car had more grip than any other car I drove during similar conditions, you just have to put some heat into them and do slowly, not with a burn out. Yes, the tires loose grip when I floor it but let's be honest, this is a V8 making over 400 ft/lbs.

I don't have any cracking issues on my tires, I just make sure to take it easy on the car when I take it out my garage for 15-20 minutes to make sure the tires get up to heat slowly.

Now she rests in the garage, leaving me very curious on how much grip it has once the cars are really up to heat in normal summer conditions. My jaw is still on the floor from the lateral grip in the cold (I was stuck to the door holding on for dear life).
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #202
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,861
^....any questions?
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #203
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR
 
Lumino1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I put over 1000 miles on my 1LE in Michigan, got it on November 16th of 2012. 90% of my driving is usually at nights after work or when the wife and kids are tired and in bed (yes, I did sneak out at 1am a few times while the streets are open and quiet). After 700 miles I drove the car like I stole it, in many cases during 30 degree weather. I've hit many 360 degree freeway on/off ramps pushing the car hard and never ran into issues. The car had more grip than any other car I drove during similar conditions, you just have to put some heat into them and do slowly, not with a burn out. Yes, the tires loose grip when I floor it but let's be honest, this is a V8 making over 400 ft/lbs.

I don't have any cracking issues on my tires, I just make sure to take it easy on the car when I take it out my garage for 15-20 minutes to make sure the tires get up to heat slowly.

Now she rests in the garage, leaving me very curious on how much grip it has once the cars are really up to heat in normal summer conditions. My jaw is still on the floor from the lateral grip in the cold (I was stuck to the door holding on for dear life).
'Nuff said!
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #204
Mgizzle
 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs View Post
I hit the street this morning at 35 degrees. Felt like a covered wagon on a cobblestone road. It had been sitting for 3 days due to rain. It was 30 each night and up to 40-45 during the day it was under the carport, not in the garage, and the winds were 20-30 mph. I'd swear I had flat spots on all four tires.
I was freakin' out due to this thread while waiting for my 1LE because I knew it will come during cold days in Michigan. You saw my previous post on the driving experience but as far as flat spots, I got nervous too.

So I garaged my car towards end of November, got the pressure on tires up only and let it sit for two weeks, car didn't move. Hit a 37 degree night during a weekend, no salt on roads, didn't snow yet....... damit, cover came off and I went out beating on the car. Looked for flat spots or any vibrations during initial warm up, nothing.

Garaged the car that night again with 40psi tire pressures. Mid December rolls around, a 38ish degree DAY, cover comes off (I just can't resist) take the car to work during 33deg weather, no vibrations or flat spots. Did some "higher" speed driving that day too on the freeway and no vibrations. Garaged the car again that night with 40psi in tires again. It's been sitting like that for a few weeks now, I'll probably move it end of this week and put some cardboard under it for that peace of mind but from my experience so far I had no issues with flat spots on hard, cold concrete after a few weeks.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on this forum posted pictures of cracked tires on the ZL1/1LE GY's other than the bulletin?
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #205
SlugWound
 
SlugWound's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevrolet's
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SO MD
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28-conv View Post
Hello All,

I am suppose to be taking delivery of my ZL1 vert on Weds. I am concerned about driving it in these conditions (currently low to mid 30's during the day and upper 20's at night). I currently drive a 97 z28 vert. It use to have summer only tires on it (I think they were Bridgestone pole position tires) and during the summer months the car handled great! This was and still is my daily driver,however during the winter they would get rock hard. It was very obvious how hard they were by the ride. They also did not have the same grip level. I also used them when it snowed and that did suck but still made it to work when I really needed to be there.

I am experienced enough to know how this car is going to handle in these cold temps and I am prepared to drive it intelligently (granny style) and respectfully. But I would like to know what you guys have experienced, for those who are driving them in these conditions? I did see a ZL1 that had a front tire with what looked like a tear on the side wall that was about 1-1/2 inches long about 4 weeks ago. I certainly don't want that to happen either.Now the ZL1 vert will not be driven in the SNOW, but occasionally I will drive it during the next 12 weeks during the day only. Next winter I will buy a set of SS wheels if I see that driving the car in the winter will damage the integrity of the tires. Thanks for any info.

Z28-Cam
What area of MD are you running? I live in the southern area. Congrats on your ride.
__________________
2013 ZL1 M6 # 2286 /ROTOFAB CAI
SlugWound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #206
Genob4c
 
Genob4c's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert CRT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winchester, KY
Posts: 305
I think we'll learn alot this winter. I don't think too many ZL1's have experienced January and February before now. For me, it's a safety issue. I will drive this car in cold weather, not in wet or icy conditions, but certainly below 40 deg. And to suggest that I shouldn't own this car because of that is just plain stupid. I'll certainly be careful, and when it warms up, I'll enjoy taking it closer to the edge.

I'll enjoy my all-season Conti Extreme Contacts, and a forum pal will get full use of a fresh set of track ready F1s thanks to me. Everybody will be happy. To each his own. Drive and enjoy these fabulous cars.

Geno
__________________
Current:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car

Former:
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue
2002 B4C 2004 Vette – LeMans Blue
2008 Vette - CRT
2011 Camaro Pace Car
Genob4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #207
rmyers
 
rmyers's Avatar
 
Drives: Both American Made
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genob4c View Post
I think we'll learn alot this winter. I don't think too many ZL1's have experienced January and February before now. For me, it's a safety issue. I will drive this car in cold weather, not in wet or icy conditions, but certainly below 40 deg. And to suggest that I shouldn't own this car because of that is just plain stupid. I'll certainly be careful, and when it warms up, I'll enjoy taking it closer to the edge.

I'll enjoy my all-season Conti Extreme Contacts, and a forum pal will get full use of a fresh set of track ready F1s thanks to me. Everybody will be happy. To each his own. Drive and enjoy these fabulous cars.

Geno
I looked online and didn't see the same fitment as stock ZL1. Which sizes did you go with?
__________________

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #208
z28-conv
 
z28-conv's Avatar
 
Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugWound View Post
What area of MD are you running? I live in the southern area. Congrats on your ride.
Thanks for the Congrats! Im in the Towson area.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #209
z28-conv
 
z28-conv's Avatar
 
Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 461
Thanks you guys for the "Hands on " experiences with these cars in the cold climate areas. I feel a little more comfortable now.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #210
Genob4c
 
Genob4c's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert CRT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winchester, KY
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
I looked online and didn't see the same fitment as stock ZL1. Which sizes did you go with?
315/35/ZR20 Rear
275/35/ZR20 Front

Others on the forum have been running these sizes also with no issues. It's a very slight change in diameter. Can't tell any speedo change, but when the weather improves, I'll chack it against a gps.

Geno
__________________
Current:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car

Former:
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue
2002 B4C 2004 Vette – LeMans Blue
2008 Vette - CRT
2011 Camaro Pace Car
Genob4c is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Papa John's Giving Away Free Pizza To Any Camaro Owner Tomorrow! Blue Maro Demon 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 332 02-13-2012 10:29 PM
SLP ZL1 TESTED!!!!! SVT_SRT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 08-03-2011 08:50 AM
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-22-2011 10:51 AM
Tire Monitoring System monevz28 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 7 11-22-2009 03:42 PM
Any V8 Owners have to buy a new set of tires yet domano 68 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 0 08-27-2009 05:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.