Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
ntmad8tr

Drives: 2014 2SS SSE, Cold Air Inc. CAI
My 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special: "GR8WHYT"

It all started on 5/31/14, when I took delivery of my 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition. Why Great White you ask. Well my daughters said it needed a name and the antennae appropriately named the shark fin got them to the name. So now I have been approved and can pickup my personalized TN plate:GR8WHYT at the DMV the week of 7/25. The girls want to go all out and have shirts made etc. For when we go to shows and cruise ins. I am working on those 2 things.

First mod accomplished was the installation of my Cold Air Inductions Inc. CAI.

Next was installation of the Apex Catch Can and Roto-Fab fuse box cover.

Next I put on Reflective Concepts front and rear bow tie overlays.

That same evening(7/5/14), I installed Diode Dynamics Engine Bay LED kit and grille LED lighting (video to come later)

Also put in Diode Dynamics LED fog lamps. (You can see them in the pictures above.)

Strut tower brace installed:

Got the new plate today.

Strut tower caps added, they were summit white then I added the SS lettering.

Blue vinyl overlays from Reflective Concepts for the Camaro lettering.

Windows tinted with Llumar CTX film. 30% on driver, passenger, back windshield and clear on the front windshield.

Newly painted engine cover by S.L. Customs of Mooresville, N.C.

Close up

Also installed this summit white painted wiring harness cover. Also painted by S.L. Customs of Mooresville, N.C.

And more to come.......
2014 2SS Spring Special Edition, Cold Air Inc. CAI, Apex Catch Can, Engine bay LED lighting, LED grille lighting, Custom painted engine cover, camarocustoms.com custom painted strut brace, My Build Thread

Last edited by ntmad8tr; 08-22-2014 at 02:53 PM.
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
anthony.

Drives: summit white 2lt RS
very nice! where did you wire the engine bay lighting to? i would like to wire just a light in my intake box as well.
anthony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
well that didnt take long haha. The spring editions are awesome and great mods so far
Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
ModBargains

Drives: Camaro RS/SS, 996TT, E90 335i
Woah. Great first impression on that car. Like what youve done! Subbed

Sales | Sales@Modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00AM-6:00PM, Saturday 8:00AM-5:00PM (PST) | Our Blog
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
You have done a lot already!

Will be following along, awesome car man.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
ntmad8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony. View Post
very nice! where did you wire the engine bay lighting to? i would like to wire just a light in my intake box as well.
I took the power from the power lead going into the fuse box and the ground I used is the radiator mounting bolt where I mounted the apex catch can frame. Then mounted the LED controller on the left side of the fuse box. I will take some pictures of where I ran the lights and cables here in a day or so.
2014 2SS Spring Special Edition, Cold Air Inc. CAI, Apex Catch Can, Engine bay LED lighting, LED grille lighting, Custom painted engine cover, camarocustoms.com custom painted strut brace, My Build Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
Nice work Master Chief, from one shipmate to another~
Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Drives: '12 2LT/RS; '14 2SS/RS LS3 SSE
Looking good, sir!!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
ntmad8tr

Did a bit of work on Tuesday. Installed the Grille lighting that I did not get installed on Saturday and then I received the extra engine cover that I had bought off another member here so I painted it.
Red

Blue

Ok going to preface these engine cover pictures with this: I am no artist or painter, I really can't even draw a stickman so is it perfect.....nope but it only has to last until I get my original back from the painter. It was pristine until I decided to open the garage door to ventilate and of course the wind blew a piece of tape up onto the not fully dried paint and put a pretty large blemish in it. Really had no clue how to fix it so waited on it to dry then sanded it down, put some coats of paint on it and well like I said it is not perfect but it will do for a couple of weeks.

masking in progress

White coats going on

starting to do the lettering

The Finished Product
Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
alvarom123
Love My Camaro! Only 16!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
where did u get that front grille ? did it come stock like that or did u buy and aftermarket one ? ive been trying to find a grille that looks like the new Z/28 for my 2014 ls! if anyones knows of any nice looking ones please let me know ASAP!!

- Thanks
Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
ntmad8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarom123 View Post
where did u get that front grille ? did it come stock like that or did u buy and aftermarket one ? ive been trying to find a grille that looks like the new Z/28 for my 2014 ls! if anyones knows of any nice looking ones please let me know ASAP!!

- Thanks
Stock grille for the Spring Special Editions.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #12
ntmad8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony. View Post
For the ground I used the radiator support bolt where my apex catch can is mounted.

For the positive, if you open your fuse box then look to the bottom left you will see a 10mm nut holding down a wire. This is the main power coming into your fuse box. This is where I installed my positive power lead. The multicolored wire is from one of the LED strips and is blocking the view of my power wire but it is right behind it. You can also see that I mounted the LED RF Controller module onto the left side of the fuse box.

Inside the box I mounted them like the following picture.(it is looking from inside the CAI box out towards the front of the car.

I then added a small strip of 3M tape to the LED strip wire and ran it under the front lip of the engine compartment. Thanks to taking this picture I saw that I had to fix the piece of 3M there that had came off the back of the wire....

To get into the grille area you only have to remove 4 10mm bolts, And then 6 of the push type fasteners from this plate and remove it:

10mm bolt

For the other 6 fasteners. Pull up on the middle section( you can pull it all the way out or not)then the bottom section can be removed.

Once that plate is removed you can mount your grille light strip to the crash bar or as I did to the underside of the front fascia. Then to get your LED strip wire to the controller, I ran it through the hole behind the hood latch and into the engine compartment. (Picture was taken after I had put the plate back on, but you can see the wire running through the hole)Then along the front edge of the engine compartment and over to the RF controller.

The next picture is to show where The wire comes into the engine compartment from the grille area. It is the one on the far right. It is a pre cut square hole.

The light strip in the back I mounted under the lip in the back over the back of the engine cover.

Ran the wire under the lip in the back towards the passenger side of the car
(You can see the wire in the picture coming out from under the lip and to the passenger side strut tower.

then around the back of the left side strut tower and over to the RF controller.

I used a lot of zip ties also. Anywhere that a wire ran close to a wiring harness or another cable, I secured it with a couple of zip ties.
Last step is to plug all the LED strips into the RF controller. Plug the controller in and give it a test.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
ntmad8tr

Oh yeah did one other thing yesterday. Really wasn't impressed with my engine cover colors in the sunlight so went over to the Chevy dealership and got a can of summit white and blue ray metallic and spent hours redoing the engine cover but now am pretty satisfied on how it looks.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:59 AM   #14
Greenlantern99

Drives: '99 S10 ZR2/'13 1LT RS
Wow... The irony! Just saw your original post and our stories are ridiculously similar. I picked my camaro up on 8/26/13 and took it to go see my cousin the very next day. His exact words were "with that antenna and all those sharp body lines it looks like a shark". I said "You're right... A great white shark". And so it stuck. I even got a personalized tag like you except mine says "GR8WITE". Great job so far, looks amazing. Can't wait to see what you have in store next.
Greenlantern99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
ntmad8tr

Custom painted Strut Tower Brace came in today. Of course it had to go right on.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
Mark@PCMofNC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Looking good. White is the best color!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Fenderaddict2

Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Nice work. Sharp looking car.

What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
ntmad8tr

Got the new plate today.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
ntmad8tr

Strut tower caps added, they were summit white then I added the SS lettering.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
ntmad8tr

Blue vinyl overlays from Reflective Concepts for the Camaro lettering.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
ntmad8tr

Windows tinted with Llumar CTX film. 30% on driver, passenger, back windshield and clear on the front windshield.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #22
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Lookin' good! Love the tint.

I've got an appt with my painter to paint out some of my engine parts. I'm also going with the BRM and white scheme. I am leaving my CAI box and tube silver as we are gradually changing over all the lines/hoses to ss braided lines. It's a process.... lol!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
ntmad8tr

Yeah going to switch to the apex braided lines at some point in time.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
ntmad8tr

Out with old and in with the new. By this I mean I removed the old engine cover that I had painted myself and put on the one I just got back from Kyle at S.L Customs in Mooresville N.C. Also installed the summit white painted wiring harness cover also painted by S.L. Customs.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Hey, a quick question for ya....did you go with Blue Ray Metallic on your engine cover, or did you choose another blue that was lighter? My engine parts go to the painter in a few weeks, and I really like the blue you used!
Thanks!