Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
KMAN114

Drives: 2010 Black LS
throttle body pointless?

So I have recently been looking into a new throttle body but wanted to know if it was worth it? I have looked at some info on the forums and everyone seems happy with it and seems well worth it. I was ready to pull the trigger but I asked a friend who is pretty knowledgeable and he said it would be pointless for my car in its current state. I currently have an intake and exhaust. I was told that I would not need a new throttle body until I have exceeded the stock ones flow capabilities, and that they are used more for heavily modified cars that are tuned.

I don't wanna waste my money, but also don't wanna miss out on something that could help.
KMAN114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
You won't gain much peak HP/TQ with it, but the LLT has a dead spot that is virtually elimnated by swapping to the VMAX throttle body. You will fill the difference between 2000 and 3000 RPMs.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
performance modding is a number of baby steps with a few larger steps. The throtle body is not a waste, but don't expect a seat of the pants explosion. Each mod just builds on the other and I think you will find the TB will be in the arsenol eventually, you just have to evaluate where you are and how aggressive you want to get with your next mod.

Headers will get you more, but if you can't go that route the TB won't hurt you.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
a ported TB gives you a bit of HP gain, the main reason to do this mod is for the improved throttle response
Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
I'm thinking about it just to improve the low-end torque, because this car is way too slow from a stop.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Harley1

Drives: Ahh....DCB F29
Worth every penny!!

Contact member (SC2150) Tracey when you your ready to order.
Harley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
I think its worth $150. You gain some tq too on the low rpm end.. Where we need it. I noticed it.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I think its worth $150. You gain some tq too on the low rpm end.. Where we need it. I noticed it.

...........that is where I noticed the gains.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
gman1970
gmans 10

Drives: 2010 victory red ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAN114 View Post
So I have recently been looking into a new throttle body but wanted to know if it was worth it? I have looked at some info on the forums and everyone seems happy with it and seems well worth it. I was ready to pull the trigger but I asked a friend who is pretty knowledgeable and he said it would be pointless for my car in its current state. I currently have an intake and exhaust. I was told that I would not need a new throttle body until I have exceeded the stock ones flow capabilities, and that they are used more for heavily modified cars that are tuned.

I don't wanna waste my money, but also don't wanna miss out on something that could help.
get a tune and skip the throttle body all together
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
It will be worth it but dont expect any explosive acceleration like some have said. Tb is for better throttle response and it will not eliminate dead spot COMPLETELY but you will notice some difference that you wont be dissapointed you spent 150.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
It will be worth it but dont expect any explosive acceleration like some have said. Tb is for better throttle response and it will not eliminate dead spot COMPLETELY but you will notice some difference that you wont be dissapointed you spent 150.
Agreed, I have a much snappier response time!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1970 View Post
get a tune and skip the throttle body all together
I just installed my throttle body last week and honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference. I feel that my car runs strong, and have no complaints - but any change could be also attributed to the colder weather as well vs. the Vmax TB.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with how the car runs and am now trying to decide on whether or not to go with a tune. The number of blown engine posts lately is really making me question whether or not to go with a tune, especially because I purchased a 6 year extended warranty (my car was delivered in August 2009 so it has the "weak" timing chains that are known to have issues).

I'm running a Vararam intake with the Vmax TB, other than that I'm completely stock.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I just installed my throttle body last week and honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference. I feel that my car runs strong, and have no complaints - but any change could be also attributed to the colder weather as well vs. the Vmax TB.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with how the car runs and am now trying to decide on whether or not to go with a tune. The number of blown engine posts lately is really making me question whether or not to go with a tune, especially because I purchased a 6 year extended warranty (my car was delivered in August 2009 so it has the "weak" timing chains that are known to have issues).

I'm running a Vararam intake with the Vmax TB, other than that I'm completely stock.
Not to thread jack, but you don't need a tune just yet. I'd hold off until you do headers.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Tagging to follow the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk