Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #101
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
The Camaro SS whooped the 350Z and STI on the Nuremburg ring. If thats not a road course than nothing is.

Wow, I've heard some bullshit excuses before but come on. The ring doesn't favor cornering cars?? Its a damn 13 mile road course, its ALL ABOUT cornering. It it wasn't about cornering than the 556HP Bentley Continental GT would have been dead even with a car like the Cadillac CTS-V. The 350/370Z isn't the god like car you perviece it to be, you need to get a grip and get back to reality.
A. The Camaro beat the 8 year old 350z, which has 20 less hp than the later models, by 4 seconds. If thats a whooping than i think you should get out more.

And just for the record the 370z has put up on-par track numbers as the Porsche Cayman S, so staying consistant, the Camaro would be feeling a good old fashion behind the shed beat down.

B. Obviously you dont know much about the Ring if you think its 'all about cornering'

For instance, the 370z can corner harder than the CTS-V... but the CTS-V will win on the Ring every time because of the Long winding straights.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #102
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
The Ring' favors high speed cars.. not cornering cars. The fact that the SS has such a high speed adv. and only beat the 350z by 4 seconds or so would make me suspect the outcome would be different on a different track.
Ok, so as long a we qualify not at the drag strip, and a road course with lots of turns, then the Z could win. Got it. Definitely better.

Oh, and its seven seconds. Not four.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #103
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Ok, so as long a we qualify not at the drag strip, and a road course with lots of turns, then the Z could win. Got it. Definitely better.

Oh, and its seven seconds. Not four.

A. People who own Z's are likely not going to be the same crowd hustling the drag strip.

B. Your semi/right, 4 seconds was for the Cobalt, 6 seconds for the Camaro.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #104
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Perhaps we should just keep this thread to Camaro vs 370z. No need to bring in the cobalt unless you want to start a Camaro VS Cobalt SS thread and a Camaro vs Evo, STI, Flying pig, shark with fricken laser beam thread....
Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #105
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
A. The Camaro beat the 8 year old 350z, which has 20 less hp than the later models, by 4 seconds. If thats a whooping than i think you should get out more.
So you go from saying this about the Z:

Quote:
B. Its 'Top Dog' on road courses. Id enjoy seeing an argument against that one.
To making excuses as to why it sucks. Fail.

Quote:
And just for the record the 370z has put up on-par track numbers as the Porsche Cayman S, so staying consistant, the Camaro would be feeling a good old fashion behind the shed beat down.
I don't think a riceburning Nissan Z or a Hans and Franz Cayman has any room to issue anything in the form of a "beat down" to the 422HP 6.2L 3700lb Camaro SS. I don't see how any car can "beat down" another vehicle if it can't catch it and its outweighed by 300lbs

Quote:
B. Obviously you dont know much about the Ring if you think its 'all about cornering'
Ahh yes, I forgot the 'Ring is nothing but a straight road with no turns:

Quote:
For instance, the 370z can corner harder than the CTS-V... but the CTS-V will win on the Ring every time because of the Long winding straights.
Keep digging the hole deeper. You don't get the fastest lap record for any sedan IN THE WORLD by only being able to go fast in a straight line. You are just grabbing at straws now.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #106
GatorBlue371

Quote:
So you go from saying this about the Z:

To making excuses as to why it sucks. Fail.

I don't think a riceburning Nissan Z or a Hans and Franz Cayman has any room to issue anything in the form of a "beat down" to the 422HP 6.2L 3700lb Camaro SS. I don't see how any car can "beat down" another vehicle if it can't catch it and its outweighed by 300lbs

Keep digging the hole deeper. You don't get the fastest lap record for any sedan IN THE WORLD by only being able to go fast in a straight line. You are just grabbing at straws now.

Your posts... if nothing else... show a clear lack of common sense and basic reading comprehension. I suggest you reread my posts until you understand them.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #107
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Quote:

looks like a lot of straightaways to me, are you sure you had a point to make here? I think I get a little dumber each time I read one of your posts, although I'm trying my best to maintain a good sense of humor about it
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #108
kdbolt70

Quote:
B. Your semi/right, 4 seconds was for the Cobalt, 6 seconds for the Camaro.
Yaaaay facts!

http://jalopnik.com/5170792/chevy-ca...urgring-in-819

Quote:
The 2010 Chevy Camaro SS officially lapped Germany's Nurburgring in 8:19.
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #109
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Not like the 1 second really matters but ill take this over a speculative website any day

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

Take note of the 8:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM1181 View Post
looks like a lot of straightaways to me, are you sure you had a point to make here? I think I get a little dumber each time I read one of your posts, although I'm trying my best to maintain a good sense of humor about it

+ 100000000
Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #110
kdbolt70

Quote:
Not like the 1 second really matters but ill take this over a speculative website any day

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html
Your right, it is one second, but its more the principal of the thing

That lap was ran back in August or September in a pre-pro, without a fully tuned suspension. the official lap occurred much more recently, and shaved a second off.

Not that it really matters, like at all. Just trying to live up to my User title.

Edit: Here's our thread explaining the new time, from March: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15603
Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #111
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Your right, it is one second, but its more the principal of the thing

That lap was ran back in August or September in a pre-pro, without a fully tuned suspension. the official lap occurred much more recently, and shaved a second off.

Not that it really matters, like at all. Just trying to live up to my User title.
Well if its ok with you im going to ignore the 'facts' coming from a speculative website

But we are arguing over onemississippi.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #112
kdbolt70

Quote:
Well if its ok with you im going to ignore the 'facts' coming from a speculative website

But we are arguing over onemississippi.
Fair enough. one second in an 8 minute lap could be practically a fart the driver let out.

I guess we've nailed the argument down to:

Z is faster on "real" road courses
SS is faster in a straight line
Z's interior is a bit nicer
SS is a bit cheaper
Both are nicely equipped, nicely priced cars that have excellent value and performance. It is very subjective to say who "wins" in this comparison.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #113
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Quote:
Your math is a tad off the lowest a Camaro SS weighs is 3,860lbs. Who knows what a 2SS or 2SS/RS weighs. The 370z is 3,300lbs or so, a weight difference of 500lbs at least.

I actually think the two cars will perform fairly well against each other with the Camaro winning on a more open track like VIR and the Z winning on a tighter track. Also betting you can mod a Camaro for a lot more power/$$ than the VQ. I think Nissan has come close to maxing it out in NA form. Put some twin turbos on it and it would be beastly.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #114
Wesman

Quote:
You are as blind and ignorant as Gator. Then again you both drive Z's and like to support each others posts

Its a damn road course.

OF COURSE there are going to be straightaways, the entire course isn't going to be one constant turn.

My point is that you can't make good times around the ring by just going fast in a straight line. Take an old 427 Camaro on the 'Ring, see what kind of times it nets you. Probably somewhere in the 15 minute range.

The Nurburgring has some of the most challenging and extreme corners of any race track in the world. The fact that the Camaro and Cobalt SS are faster than the Z speaks a lot about their chassis and suspension, and much less about their power, especially since the Cobalt is slower in a straight line than the Z.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #115
Wesman

Quote:
Your posts... if nothing else... show a clear lack of common sense and basic reading comprehension. I suggest you reread my posts until you understand them.
Nice comeback, considering you have absolutely nothing to say given that I've proved you wrong in every post.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #116
JMM1181

Quote:
especially since the Cobalt is slower in a straight line than the Z.
wait a second, I thought you said in your other posts it was faster than a Z? Now it's slower except for going around the 'ring'? So just to be clear, which is it- one, the other, or both?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #117
GatorBlue371

Your posts are giving me a headache. The brand new SS beat the 8 year old Z. If that gets you excited I'd try to ignore how the new Z spanks the SS
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #118
JK

Drives: Toyota
I want Nissan Z to go back to its origine. An inexpensive fun for everyone. Not a swollen mutant looking car with a 10-years old engine that costs $40K. It does not need to increase the size of the engine, HP's and width. I want it to get back in a shape and have a more sophisticated engine for less than $30K. How else is it going to compete with Camaro V6's sales-wise?

I do not know about the handling, but I cannot imagine that 370Z would go toe to toe with V8 Camaro in a straight line.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #119
JMM1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I want Nissan Z to go back to its origine. An inexpensive fun for everyone. Not a swollen mutant looking car with a 10-years old engine that costs $40K. It does not need to increase the size of the engine, HP's and width. I want it to get back in a shape and have a more sophisticated engine for less than $30K. How else is it going to compete with Camaro V6's sales-wise?

I do not know about the handling, but I cannot imagine that 370Z would go toe to toe with V8 Camaro in a straight line.
I hear what you're saying and agree that Nissan's price point is high, if I were buying new I probably would not have paid the cost for a brand new 350z (and I'm just being honest), I got my '07 with only 8.5k miles on it for under $20k- that's a steal in my book. When I was considering a new car I would not have spent over $30k on any car besides the Camaro and possibly a new Challenger and have always felt the price point on some Nissan's were a little high but people are swiping up the 07-08 model years for great prices these days.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #120
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
The Camaro SS whooped the 350Z and STI on the Nuremburg ring. If thats not a road course than nothing is.

Wow, I've heard some bullshit excuses before but come on. The ring doesn't favor cornering cars?? Its a damn 13 mile road course, its ALL ABOUT cornering. It it wasn't about cornering than the 556HP Bentley Continental GT would have been dead even with a car like the Cadillac CTS-V. The 350/370Z isn't the god like car you perviece it to be, you need to get a grip and get back to reality.
He is back to the 370z being top dog around the ring.
Unfortunately im going to have to say a production camaro SS and a 370z with the track package would post about equal times around the ring. if not one car would be a second ahead of the other.

That "damn 13 mile road course" has alot of highspeed straights and corners. The Bentley continental isnt dead even with the cadillac because it weighs like 5000 pounds......making the cadillac look like a lotus
Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #121
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
the camaro's ring time beat the 2006 cayman by a couple of seconds........so i can imagine that in the end both the camaro and the 370z would post about even times.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #122
Wesman

Quote:
wait a second, I thought you said in your other posts it was faster than a Z? Now it's slower except for going around the 'ring'? So just to be clear, which is it- one, the other, or both?
Gator said the 350Z is faster in a straight line. So thats gospel. From the tests I've seen its not. But we'll go with what Gator believes in this case to make him happy and prove my point against his, even if its only true in his demented mind.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #123
Wesman

Quote:
Your posts are giving me a headache. The brand new SS beat the 8 year old Z. If that gets you excited I'd try to ignore how the new Z spanks the SS
And gets raped like a bitch in a acceleration, braking, sound, powertrain quality, cost, and design.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #124
GatorBlue371

Quote:
And gets raped like a bitch in a acceleration, braking, sound, powertrain quality, cost, and design.
I wonder if you believe your own posts. 370 has better breaking, grip, handling, as well as quality well delivering rear identical acceleration.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #125
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
the camaro's ring time beat the 2006 cayman by a couple of seconds........so i can imagine that in the end both the camaro and the 370z would post about even times.
The new cayman S put up a 8:10

Closed Thread