Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Chipping /tuning your car

If you chip/tune your car, does your warranty get voided?
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
If they know about it my salesman said it does. He also said just don't tell.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Your warranty is only void for parts you replace and parts that break as a result of parts that you replace. Your dealer will try to tell you that any modification will void your warranty for the whole car. That is a lie. You are legally protected for reasonable modification.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Just remember, you have to pay to play .... in a nut shell .. if anything goes wrong with the car and it is do to the tune/chip .. they will void that part of your warrenty ..

Crowley
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Magnosun moss act issue. Basically no unless they can prove it caused the failure. but you have to be willing to fight them and possibly sue them.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: EMB 135/140/145+2010 IBM 2SS
Why are so many people intent on planning modifications to a car they don't even have yet? A 2010 Camaro SS has as more horsepower than a Corvette ZR-1 had just a few years ago, and will quite possibly be the most powerful car most people on this site have ever driven.

I understand you can't have enough of a good thing, but maybe you should try driving it unmodified for an hour or 2 before you plan extensive modifications and void portions of your warranty.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
Gary B

Drives: 12 SS 45th
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
Why are so many people intent on planning modifications to a car they don't even have yet? A 2010 Camaro SS has as more horsepower than a Corvette ZR-1 had just a few years ago, and will quite possibly be the most powerful car most people on this site have ever driven.

I understand you can't have enough of a good thing, but maybe you should try driving it unmodified for an hour or 2 before you plan extensive modifications and void portions of your warranty.
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.....
Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
If the dealer knows your car has been tuned, it will void some areas of your warranty. But most people don't retune a car until they do mods that require it and those mods would void that area of the warranty anyway.

Quote:

Some of us already drive cars with more power than the Camaro SS. We're buying the new car for other reasons and want to make it at least as fast as the cars we drive now. My 4th gen SS runs 12.4's in the 1/4. I know I won't be satisfied "only" running 13.0's. Which is why I modded my 4th gen. Actually, I'm not completely satisfied with 12.4's either.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Drives: 2005 GTO supercharged 2009 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Magnosun moss act issue. Basically no unless they can prove it caused the failure. but you have to be willing to fight them and possibly sue them.
Exactly correct. Essentially you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent.

As someone else above said, you have to pay to play. Look at it this way, if you are going to cam it and add headers then you've already voided the entire drivetrain warranty anyway.
JICPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
You guys can through this "Magnosun Moss Act" on the board all you want. . . Coming form a Dodge SRT-4, our community had large issues with warranties getting voided for no reason. What can you do about it? Next to damn nothing. . .Hire a lawyer and try to get your warranty back. .

Prime example. Guy on the board put the Dodge Blow Off Valve on his car. . . . transmission failed. (Actually had the bolts work their way out of the clutch. A known issue.) The dealership had the local Rep. come in to look at the car. . . WARRANTY VOIDED for having the BOV. . .

I reccomend you do NOTHING to your car if you want to use the warranty.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
I've never had ANY issues with modifications on our cars. May be the dealer's I go to. There are places like Vector Motorsports that do tunes that are "stealth". So unless they really go digging they will have no clue. I bought an extra ECM just in case for our G8. Yanked the stock ECM out put it in the closet for warranty issues and put the new one in with the tune. Personally, I would never go in for a warranty issue that I caused by modding. But, I also don't want the dealer trying to back out of fixing something because I did a mod that is totally unrelated to the issue the car is in for.

My suggestion would be find a good dealer that is going to treat you right and don't try to make GM pay for something YOU broke. And FWIW, you will get used to the HP very quickly and it won't be enough. I know with our G8 it was fun for about a week and then we needed much more.
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
nol300

Drives: 92 300ZX TT 2007 Silverado
You have to remember the computers on the vehicle's now are like black boxes they can pull all the history and now if you reprogramed a car. Diesel people do it all the time plug in put the horsepower to the max and then it breaks they put the HP rating back to stock we know you did it it pulls the info when we plug into the ecu. It is a sickness with most of us even though it is plenty of power this is our hobby not that we need it but we don't have a choice it is the way we are.

But on the same note I will modify I have a 600HP TwinTurbo running 28 pounds of boost and methanol injection so no it will not be fast enough.
nol300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
You guys can through this "Magnosun Moss Act" on the board all you want. . . Coming form a Dodge SRT-4, our community had large issues with warranties getting voided for no reason. What can you do about it? Next to damn nothing. . .Hire a lawyer and try to get your warranty back. .

Prime example. Guy on the board put the Dodge Blow Off Valve on his car. . . . transmission failed. (Actually had the bolts work their way out of the clutch. A known issue.) The dealership had the local Rep. come in to look at the car. . . WARRANTY VOIDED for having the BOV. . .

I reccomend you do NOTHING to your car if you want to use the warranty.

If you read what I said. The bottom line is what teh dealer did to that guy is illegal and yes he would have to take them to court. I never said it would be easy but you can eventually win if your willing to go far enough.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: EMB 135/140/145+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.....

You have missed my point.....why not wait til you get the car to plan your modifications. It just seems a little premature to begin thinking about voiding the warranty months before you have even seen the car.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
i'm actually thinking about chipping it after my warranty runs out
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
nol300

Drives: 92 300ZX TT 2007 Silverado
Quote:
You have missed my point.....why not wait til you get the car to plan your modifications. It just seems a little premature to begin thinking about voiding the warranty months before you have even seen the car.
It's called a sickness some of us have it and there is not much we can do about it.
nol300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I admit I have the sickness as well!!! Ain't no pill gunna cure this ill!!!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
With the new system and CAN they will be able to tell if you have modded anything. There is no Chip you can swap. It's flash memory based.

And yes technically you can void your warranty it's gonna be up to your dealer and or if they find out.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #19
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
They can void if they want to.

I was in Chevrolet Service for years.

Buy a second PCM, and pop the stock unit in for dealership visits.

Of course, that only works if there are no other detectable mods.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #20
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
With the new system and CAN they will be able to tell if you have modded anything. There is no Chip you can swap. It's flash memory based.

And yes technically you can void your warranty it's gonna be up to your dealer and or if they find out.
You can swap the ECM. I suppose they could put tampering stuff on there. They didn't with the G8s. And it's not going to void your entire warranty. If your radio stops working, they aren't going to try to deny a claim because you are running a tune. Well, I take that back. They can try I suppose but they most certainly shouldn't do something like that. Just like we shouldn't be throwing on a S/C and then going back to GM for a new transmission because it took a dump on us.
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
remember your car's milage is logged into the ECM. . . all they would have to to is compair the milage on the dash and the milage on the ECM to see if you changed it.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Drives: 2005 GTO supercharged 2009 GXP
On the GTOs, the ECM had to be mated to the BCM using a Tech II while connected to GM dealerworld. My understanding is everything with CAN bus technology would be like this from now on. Not sure how you guys are swapping ECMs out, but you sure couldn't do that with the GTOs.
JICPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Over in the Challenger forum, there was a guy who had a "note" put on his paperwork:

"I had to sit down and talk with the service manager at the dealer when I got there. Turns out that Chrysler wanted them to go over the car with a fine tooth comb to try to deny warranty. They had to document the MBRP exhaust and the Rota-Fab intake (pictures sent to engineering) and were told to disassemble the clutch and check over the complete drivetrain and tires. The flywheel was perfect, the clutch is in perfect shape with nominal wear for mileage(4400 miles) and everything looks perfect. The tires are wearing properly with no sign of abuse. Basically, it's all intact and looks fine. The input shaft on the transmission has too much endplay which is what seems to be causing the internal issues that I've had SINCE VERY SOON AFTER I PURCHASED THE CAR. that last was in caps for you Chrysler geeks reading this. They have continued to deny that there was a problem right up until it failed enough that they couldn't deny it any longer, and then tried to make it look like my fault. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong, so they fixed the car but put a disclaimer on the work order. Here's what it says.

Note to owner from Chrysler:

Dealer was notified by CAG engineering and Star Center to inform customer that some modifications, as stated in the glove box warranty manual, may void the vehicle warranty. Vehicle warranty does not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by racing. Chrysler can restrict the warranty coverage such that may be denied or subject to approval by Chrysler before the repairs are performed. As per Chrysler personnel, this vehicle's VIN number will now be monitored by the manufacturer for all future repairs.

This in spite of the fact that they found no signs of abuse. Know why? I was told that Chrysler got my screen name from these boards and is WATCHING ALL OF THE CARS AND THE MODS THAT ARE DONE TO THEM and also they are watching for ANY SIGN THAT YOU TAKE IT DOWN A TRACK TO GET A TIME SLIP EVEN IF IT'S NOT RACING. This in spite of the fact that the car is sold as a performance car and in fact the SRT models have 0-60 and quarter mile timers. Seems they'd rather you did your acceleration runs on public streets."

Just something to think about. I read a story...perhaps it's just a urban legend...about a GM owner being notified by Onstar that his warranty was being revoked due to driving at excessive speeds. Might just be B.S., but who knows whether something like this could or might happen.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
I've read about warranties being nullified on the corvette boards. You guys should check them out.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #25
09CobaltSS/Turbo

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo 97 tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
Over in the Challenger forum, there was a guy who had a "note" put on his paperwork:

"I had to sit down and talk with the service manager at the dealer when I got there. Turns out that Chrysler wanted them to go over the car with a fine tooth comb to try to deny warranty. They had to document the MBRP exhaust and the Rota-Fab intake (pictures sent to engineering) and were told to disassemble the clutch and check over the complete drivetrain and tires. The flywheel was perfect, the clutch is in perfect shape with nominal wear for mileage(4400 miles) and everything looks perfect. The tires are wearing properly with no sign of abuse. Basically, it's all intact and looks fine. The input shaft on the transmission has too much endplay which is what seems to be causing the internal issues that I've had SINCE VERY SOON AFTER I PURCHASED THE CAR. that last was in caps for you Chrysler geeks reading this. They have continued to deny that there was a problem right up until it failed enough that they couldn't deny it any longer, and then tried to make it look like my fault. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong, so they fixed the car but put a disclaimer on the work order. Here's what it says.

Note to owner from Chrysler:

Dealer was notified by CAG engineering and Star Center to inform customer that some modifications, as stated in the glove box warranty manual, may void the vehicle warranty. Vehicle warranty does not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by racing. Chrysler can restrict the warranty coverage such that may be denied or subject to approval by Chrysler before the repairs are performed. As per Chrysler personnel, this vehicle's VIN number will now be monitored by the manufacturer for all future repairs.

This in spite of the fact that they found no signs of abuse. Know why? I was told that Chrysler got my screen name from these boards and is WATCHING ALL OF THE CARS AND THE MODS THAT ARE DONE TO THEM and also they are watching for ANY SIGN THAT YOU TAKE IT DOWN A TRACK TO GET A TIME SLIP EVEN IF IT'S NOT RACING. This in spite of the fact that the car is sold as a performance car and in fact the SRT models have 0-60 and quarter mile timers. Seems they'd rather you did your acceleration runs on public streets."

Just something to think about. I read a story...perhaps it's just a urban legend...about a GM owner being notified by Onstar that his warranty was being revoked due to driving at excessive speeds. Might just be B.S., but who knows whether something like this could or might happen.
It's no urban legend That is straight up facts, and any car manufacturer can deny you for racing.

Onstar Black box Removal consists of strapping off 4 wires on the unit ...