Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Aftermarket built-in radio/GPS capablity

Has anyone been deep enough into the Camaro's center instrument panel to know if something like a retractable, touch screen aftermarket GPS would fit in the area where the original factory radio resides?

If it did, I might consider one of these cars. I want a built-in GPS and a decent radio.

Picture of a example of a Kenwood model shown.
Attached Images

Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flighttester View Post
Has anyone been deep enough into the Camaro's center instrument panel to know if something like a retractable, touch screen aftermarket GPS would fit in the area where the original factory radio resides?

If it did, I might consider one of these cars. I want a built-in GPS and a decent radio.

the head unit of the camaro, and most NEW vehicles, includes essential for the cars electrical and operation. Removing them is becomming less of an option. It will probably be able to be done but you will need to wait till someone comes out for a fix to reroute all the wires. Chances are this is not something you will be able to do yourself.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Considering most other car's in the Camaro's class have OEM GPS Nav systems, I'd hope GM/Chevy figures out how to incorpotrate one too.

Seems like a major oversight not to have designed the dash for a OEM Nav in the first place. Say what you will I'm betting (looking at Corvette sales) that 40% of buyers would want that OPTION.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Considering most other car's in the Camaro's class have OEM GPS Nav systems, I'd hope GM/Chevy figures out how to incorpotrate one too.

Seems like a major oversight not to have designed the dash for a OEM Nav in the first place. Say what you will I'm betting (looking at Corvette sales) that 40% of buyers would want that OPTION.
I think if you look at the demographics for your typical Corvette new car buyer they will be in a significantly higher income bracket than your typical Camaro new car buyer. They'll have no problem ticking the box for an extra $2k GPS option.

For most new car buyers, this is an option they can do without unless it comes standard:

Quote:
In-dash GPS navigation systems are not exactly popping up on every dashboard. At best, about 1.5 percent of new car buyers opt for a nav system, according to Renesas Technology, a large auto navigation chipset maker. To the rest of new car buyers, these factory systems remain $2,000 toys they can do without.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
joepitt

Drives: 2013 LT2 Camaro, 2008 Enclave
built in or stand alone GPS

Quote:

Many articles I read are downplaying the built in nav units if you are planning on keeping the car for an extended period. Technology changes fast and you could be stuck with an obsolet unit very quickly. Even then, the cost is much higher then the stand alone units. I did a quick poll at work and only 1 person would pay for the nav unit. The down side of many built in units is you can't interact with them unless the car is in park. That's fine when you are alone, however when you have a competent 'co-pilot' they can't.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

You just may get your wish next year. It was mentioned that Nav is an option they are considering for '11 MY. Personally they are a waste of money. Several grand for an option that is obsolete in a year or two and are non-updateable, no thanks.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
So BA is not " decent" ?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
and correct me if I'm wrong but navs are now software and maps updatable and usually over the air as well
Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
and correct me if I'm wrong but navs are now software and maps updatable and usually over the air as well
yes they are
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Flighttester

I have had built-in nav-entertainment systems in my last three rides and my next one will have it too.

If it can't be done with the Camaro, and I really don't see why it couldn't, there is no Camaro in my future, that is certain.

What other systems go through the radio on a GM car these days? I could probably not care less about On-Star. In fact, I'd probably disconnect and remove it if there was one there and if there are other electrical interlocks, they can most likely be overridden by anyone who can read and understand a schematic.

Not making a built-in Nav system available in a 2009-10 model automobile is just ignorance personafied.

Maybe decisions like that is why GM has become a government sponsored entity these days.

I've never had a car with an obsolete built-in nav system. All of them I am aware of are completely upgradable, if that's the concern.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Personally they are a waste of money. Several grand for an option that is obsolete in a year or two and are non-updateable, no thanks.
all the nav systems are updatable... there will always be updates and firmware...
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Yikes! That's a pretty invasive procedure. If you want navigation, I would recommend digging deeper into the unknown world of the Camaros being released later this year, and next year... find out if it's going to be offered as an option... and just wait it out. In the end, it'll look a lot nicer and you wont have to chop up your Camaro. This isn't a 10 year old Silverado that you're looking to trick-out.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:

I think the shape of the radio might be too awkward
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Yikes! That's a pretty invasive procedure. If you want navigation, I would recommend digging deeper into the unknown world of the Camaros being released later this year, and next year... find out if it's going to be offered as an option... and just wait it out. In the end, it'll look a lot nicer and you wont have to chop up your Camaro. This isn't a 10 year old Silverado that you're looking to trick-out.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Flighttester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
So BA is not " decent" ?
Sorry, what's BA?

I want the abilty to have GPS nav (preferably touch screen), MP3, CD, DVD AM/FM and perhaps even a plug for SD cards and a memory stick. GPS is mandatory.

I could care less about Onstar or Bose. Onstar is useless and Bose is overrated. I have that in my Miata.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
BA = Boston Acoustics
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Flighttester

I'm not that concerned about the qualtity of the audio.

I mostly listen to talk anyway but, I do want MP3 capability and I demand GPS nav.

If the Camaro can't get it, the alternatives (I really want a two-seat coupe to replace my Miata) are the C-5 Corvette Coupe (I can get a good deal on left-over '08 models but I really don't need or want 400+ HP and where I drive, I want a spare tire), a late model used Audi TT (not my favorite ride but not really bad) or a late model used Porsche Cayman coupe. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. The six-speed V-6 Camaro is a bit cheaper than all the possible alternatives and yet I think it could be a good start on a slick little road-burner.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Well, you can demand all you want, but the in-dash GPS navigation will not be available on the model year 2010 Camaro's. We're not even sure if it will be available in the 2011 Camaro's either.

Good luck car shopping
Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I think GPS is for old people and tourists. If you really need a computer to tell you how to get where you're going you probably shouldn't be driving.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
have you seen the stangs GPS and the challys?
they look terrible imo. they are just flat squares.
i like how the camaros controls are curved with the dash.
and to update a GPS system that is DVD based, as most are, its about 200 dollars.
and i dont know about HDD based systems, i doubt their map packs are free.

Onstar is updated constantly. they are adding more POI and things like that,
it does require a subscription though, thats its main downfall compared to a in dash GPS.

but, next time your locked out, try calling your GPS to let you in.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Flighttester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
I think GPS is for old people and tourists. If you really need a computer to tell you how to get where you're going you probably shouldn't be driving.
A GPS is a useful tool for long distance travel.

OnStar is crap.

I use my car for that and I've become accustomed to having such features available when I want them.

If they are not available, I will find a car that has them, even if it has to be a better quality car.

At least I threw 'em a line and gave GM one last chance though.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
levi1922

Quote:
A GPS is a useful tool for long distance travel.

OnStar is crap.

I use my car for that and I've become accustomed to having such features available when I want them.

If they are not available, I will find a car that has them, even if it has to be a better quality car.

At least I threw 'em a line and gave GM one last chance though.
i suppose i understand,
but i think other aspects of the car make up for the lack of the GPS for me.
GPS was one of the bigg things that i wanted on my next car, how ever, i will have onstar only, oh well.
i put style and things like that over the sat nav, but thats my priority.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #23
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

I guess the whole, "send my mapquest directions to my car through OnStar," feature isn't all that attractive for some people...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #24
levi1922

i think my favor feature is the fact that i can send map quest directions to the car from my computer!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #25
Chris-10
Tri-County Camaro Tampa

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Quote:
Chevyrocker I think GPS is for old people and tourists. If you really need a computer to tell you how to get where you're going you probably shouldn't be driving
I couldnt have said it any better