Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

GM Carlisle
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
/I need a new crank seal. Is a cam install a significant amount of additional work

My motor is a 416 built for boost by the previous owner. Currently has a "custom" blower cam, which I think is a BTR stage 3 PD cam

I recently noticed an oil leak on the front of the motor, and found out yesterday that it's my crank seal that needs replacing.

I don't intend on ever putting a blower on the car - would a cam install be too much additional labor on top of replacing the crank seal? I'm considering having the shop install a nasty NA cam if it wouldn't be too much additional labor, but not sure how much more work it would be.

My gut is that it wouldn't be a ridiculous amount of additional effort since they're already getting into the front part of the motor, anyhow, but I really am not sure...anyone have some thoughts?
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
jrhagen

Drives: Camaro
I would imagine they just to remove the intake, push rods and get enough clearance in the front to do the cam. And then a tune.

Or just drop the cradle and do it the easy way.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
You'll have to remove the radiator and condenser to be able to have enough spacing to pull the cam out and put new one in. Take out push rods which is pretty quick process. Depending on what springs you have they may need to be changed as well depending on cam choice. This is a good DIY cam swap thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123
Tuned by Phil @Tampa Tuning, Pat G Custom cam, carbon fiber copo hood, Powerbond UDP, 1LE 3.91 differential, Stainless Works/Stainless Power 1 7/8 Catless long tubes, Stainless works Retro Chambered 3" catback, QTP, Roto-fab CAI, VMAX CNC ported TB, MGW flat stick shifter, SRP anodized race pedals, Drake quarter panel covers, elite catch can, 1LE PCV seperator, foose 20" wheels, hotchkis strut tower brace, oracle red halo's, under dash lights, sunroof, interior accent package, metra stereo dash kit with kenwood double din.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
sounds good. I've also emailed the shop inquiring about the same, so hopefully they'll give me some good news.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Labor wise, it shouldn't be that much additional expense, but a new cam will require a re-tune, which could add a decent chunk of change to the bill....

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote