Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #251
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
i cheated here, i bought this and painted it iom..
Congrats Mike on the purchase! Can't wait to see the pictures. Make sure you post some pictures when you got them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
looking good man.im a fanatic of an clean engine bay. you're doing a great job.

here are a few pics of when i shaved my battery post before the centri sc install
Thanks BLACK10 for the word of encouragement. I can't believe the difference it made to shave the battery post. I'll get it painted next. Going to go with a satin white finish. But it will have to wait as I still have some other things to do and wont want to scratch the paint.
Nathan Moreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #252
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
Hey Nathan

I also have a vararam and aside of the red coupler I am pretty happy with it. So I realy want to get rid of it and replace it with a black coupler.

Is your coupler from K&N? My only concern is that the new coupler might is to stiff/not soft enough. I dont want to put to much stress on the Vararams neck.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Mike, I actually got a 4"" couple from Patrick at Vararam. I was speaking with him and mention how I was looking for a black couple. He said he had one lying around. To send him an e-mail and he would mail it to me. I can't say enough about their customer service.

The Vararam couple is 2" in width. So I only needed half. If you PM your address, I will mail you the other half. Let me know if you would like me to pull out my trustee Dremel and make the hole for you.

Nathan
Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #253
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoboats View Post
There is no wrong answer.... Do what you like, and what makes you happy to open the hood.
Very Nice! and your right, there no wrong way.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #254
Nathan Moreno

Here are a few random this and that

Instead of using TechAFX regular EVAC hose, I used their fuel line with a smaller QD that would fit the EVAC hardline. The EVAC hard line is smaller the fuel line, so it required a smaller QD. The other line is the factory fuel line. You can see the QD is slightly bigger. Oh, I gave it a little love by bring out the shine.

These are for the heater hose.....trim the excess off so that they don't have a long tail sticking out and gave them a spit shine.

Here the water vapor line finished. This set-up would look trick for folks with tradition intakes were it would be seen. With the Vararam, you don't get to appreciate it because it's hidden, LOL.

Now you see it.....

Now you don't.....

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 02-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #255
Nathan Moreno

Got a question for you guys. I was going to replace the bolts on the power steering. I could do this bolt because it was to long and would clear the pulley. Do I have to remove the entire pump or can I just remove the pulley?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #256
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
can you turn the pulley and slide it out through one of the holes?
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #257
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
can you turn the pulley and slide it out through one of the holes?
Tried it, no go.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #258
BLACK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Tried it, no go.

edit,

i think you need to remove the pulley

Last edited by BLACK10; 02-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #259
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Edit: Not sure on power steering; here's water pump pulley info.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=puller

PS:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88840

Last edited by Synner; 02-05-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #260
Vann2SS/RS
"NY5THGEN"

Drives: Blk on Blk 2SS/RS M6
Subscribed!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #261
BLACK10

btw- where did you get the a/c line covering? i seem to have missed that. thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #262
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
You will need a power steering puller to remove the pulley. You can rent it at most parts stores. Could you post the sizes of the bolts you are using please? It would save me some time.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #263
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
There's a standard puller that pulls almost every GM power steering pump pulley I've ever seen...to reinstall it, you can take a very long bolt that will thread into the center of the pump shaft, with a nut on it...thread the bolt in all the way, then crank the nut down to press the pulley back on.

I was noticing that when I took my accessories off for my heads/cam swap...can't get that bolt out without pulling the pulley.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #264
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I'm pretty sure it slides right out the pulley. I have had mine off a handful of times and never taken the power steering apart.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #265
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I'm going to take a video of me doing it tomorrow.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #266
EZ SPEED
ZZOSIXX

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Well, here's a project I enjoyed a lot. Removing the battery terminal bracket and relocating the cables to the driver side wheel well. I think it's a huge step in cleaning up the engine bay. I do have to give a BIG shot out to EZspeed for helping me with the process.
Glad I could help

If you havent already figured it out... remove the 3 bolts that hold the power steering pump to the bracket by turning the pulley till a hole lines up then remove each of the 3 bolts. then you can just slide the whole pump assembly over and get the bolts out for the power steering bracket
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #267
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
btw- where did you get the a/c line covering? i seem to have missed that. thanks
Good eye! You didn't miss it, I just forgot to mention it. There two pieces that come from the factory I recycled. One goes on the factory fuel line and I can't remember where the other goes. It's much nicer than the Russell or Painless. I wish I could buy it in 10ft. length. I would use it before anything else. Perhaps somebody here might know where to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver View Post
You will need a power steering puller to remove the pulley. You can rent it at most parts stores. Could you post the sizes of the bolts you are using please? It would save me some time.
I'm updating the OP with all the parts I'm using as a reference point for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls View Post
I'm going to take a video of me doing it tomorrow.
You Da Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED View Post
Glad I could help

If you haven't already figured it out... remove the 3 bolts that hold the power steering pump to the bracket by turning the pulley till a hole lines up then remove each of the 3 bolts. then you can just slide the whole pump assembly over and get the bolts out for the power steering bracket
Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #268
Nathan Moreno

Oh, I'm going to rent the tool to pull the pulley off the pump. I'm also removing the pump to sand, polish and brush. Never removed one before, so if there's any should know before hand, please let me know. Anything helpful tips such as best way to drain it, torque specs and sequence, reinstall tips, DIY links, etc...... would be greatly appreciated!

As always, thanks for the help!

Nathan
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #269
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
i cheated here, i bought this and painted it iom..

Who makes this? Any shots of the underneath side of hood?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #270
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Nathan,

What size T bolt (or item number preferably) are you using from mcmaster for the vararam coupling?

Also, where did you locate the black coupling?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
GlennP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #271
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Quote:
Mike, I actually got a 4"" couple from Patrick at Vararam. I was speaking with him and mention how I was looking for a black couple. He said he had one lying around. To send him an e-mail and he would mail it to me. I can't say enough about their customer service.

The Vararam couple is 2" in width. So I only needed half. If you PM your address, I will mail you the other half. Let me know if you would like me to pull out my trustee Dremel and make the hole for you.

Nathan

Nathan - that would be very nice! I'll send you a PM as soon as I am at home! Thank you in advance - and keep up the good work.
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #272
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post

Nathan - that would be very nice! I'll send you a PM as soon as I am at home! Thank you in advance - and keep up the good work.
Do you want to to put the hole in it for you?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #273
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennP View Post
Nathan,

What size T bolt (or item number preferably) are you using from mcmaster for the vararam coupling?

Also, where did you locate the black coupling?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Glenn, I will edit this post later with the parts #. Don't have it just now. Just didn't want you to think I missed your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytahoe View Post
Nathan, Just wanted to say your doing a great job with that engine bay.I am just getting started with the engine in my 2SS.I have gathered together some of the parts I have read about you using in your thread.1 more question I have,do you have a part number for the ARP bolts you used for the KATECH tensioner? I want to use the same 12pt.bolts so they match.Thanks,and once again Great JOB! Tt--
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver View Post
Guys, I updated the OP with all the links and part numbers for all the ARP bolts I've replaced. Let me know if you if that helps.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #274
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Quote:
Do you want to to put the hole in it for you?
Nathan - I don't need the hole. I stil have to decide if I want to use a breather to eliminate the the clean air line on the coupler.

If I remember correctly you have been in contact with Vararam regarding this topic. Did they tell you about any disadvantages by going with a breather / deleting the clean air line?
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #275
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
Wow, thanks for posting all that info in the first post, im shure it will help out alot.of people