Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1251
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Bluffen,

Yes there is trimming in the back, some for the fuel line and possibly by the EVAP solenoid if you keep it located there. It is kind of scary if you trim wrong the cover is trashed. I can send you pictures as a goby which makes it much easier to know where to cut. Pictures helped me for the passenger side and Pharmaro said it was easier with the pics I sent him. Less guess work. Also I added an extra 10mm nut onto the ball studs so the stud set up a little higher making the covers attach a little easier. PM me with your email if you want some pics.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #1252
Bluffen

Drives: Waiting for my 2014 SS to Arrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
Bluffen,

Yes there is trimming in the back, some for the fuel line and possibly by the EVAP solenoid if you keep it located there. It is kind of scary if you trim wrong the cover is trashed. I can send you pictures as a goby which makes it much easier to know where to cut. Pictures helped me for the passenger side and Pharmaro said it was easier with the pics I sent him. Less guess work. Also I added an extra 10mm nut onto the ball studs so the stud set up a little higher making the covers attach a little easier. PM me with your email if you want some pics.

PM sent...How hard was it to take intake off. Im thinking of getting mine painted or powder coated..My car is IBM with silver metallic stripes my engine bay has some chrome to it...

Bluffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #1253
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
5th, I forgot to mention, I will be painting the engine. after I'm done putting the long block together. This is the color I'm going with for the engine and engine bay. It's a BMW color called "Frozen Gray". I'm also having the block completely cleaned thoroughly. This includes chasing every bolt hole to make sure they are completely clean. The block is also going to get completely machined. I'm doing everything possible to hopefully prevent any mishaps. Cleanliness being a big part of it!
Curious how the paint will last through the heat, because I plan for a LS transplant into my 87 Corvette and would like to have the engine painted same color(Dark Red). Below is how I want it to look with my color.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #1254
Bluffen

The paint used on engine blocks is made for the heat. It will last a long time..I know that much from my younger 327 build days..these new engines have me all confused though mechanically
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #1255
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffen View Post
PM sent...How hard was it to take intake off. I'm thinking of getting mine painted or powder coated..My car is IBM with silver metallic stripes my engine bay has some chrome to it.

Looking good Bluffen. TechAFX has great instructions on how to remove and install the intake. Here's the link http://www.techafx.com/sites/techafx...structions.pdf Once you do it, you'll see there's not much to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
Curious how the paint will last through the heat, because I plan for a LS transplant into my 87 Corvette and would like to have the engine painted same color(Dark Red). Below is how I want it to look with my color.

I've done a lot of research on this subject, you should having any problems using good quality automotive paint.

Small Update: Got the Pure Power filter and it's a very nice piece! Trying to do everything I can to keep the engine internals as clean as possible in the future.

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  79.2 KB
Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #1256
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
Small Update: Got the Pure Power filter and it's a very nice piece! Trying to do everything I can to keep the engine internals as clean as possible in the future.
Thanks I already started some engine painting research. Is that a filter that you clean? Or is it cheap enough that it is replaceable?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #1257
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
Thanks I already started some engine painting research. Is that a filter that you clean? Or is it cheap enough that it is replaceable?
This is the info right off their site. I spent an hour talking to the honor who is 70 years young chemist. I took a book worth of notes and got a mini MBA on filtration and lubrication along with what goes on in the industry. I will be running their break in oil when I start the engine.

Here is the link to the filter http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...em&itemKey=694

This is right off their site. This filter is basically an investment!

"The Cleanable Filter"
Easy to clean with soap and water. Easy inspection and monitoring engine condition. Improve fuel mileage, cooler operating temperatures, increase horsepower, lower emissions, extend oil change intervals, reduce lubricant disposal, reduce down time, reduce inventory, reduce engine wear. Independent Laboratory SAE and ASTM tests show up to 90% Improved particle removal (down to 1 - 2 microns), Oil Flow 37 gpm (2-3 times increased oil flow) and 1,000 psi Burst Pressure. Used in all major racing venues on land, sea and air.
Pure Power! Lifetime Oil Filter. CLEANABLE AND REUSABLE.
Direct Spin-on Replacement with Emergency Relief Valve (ByPass)
American Made 6061 T6 CNC Machined Forged Billet Aluminum Housing and Bypass; Stainless Steel Dual Woven Filter Media; Mil-Spec Viton® O-rings on all sealing surfaces. Superior in quality, workmanship, design and Aerospace CNC machining specs from AMERICAN Certified 6061 T6, Cold Finished, Billet material, the finest quality stainless steel filter media and extreme high temperature Aerospace ceramic investment material; Two Neodymium magnets located on each side of the filter media. Each magnet is rated to capture 16 Oz of ferrous metal and has a larger magnetic field area. "J" cut threads and a starting thread to prevent cross threading.

I'm looking to take a tour of the facility when I'm in the area and will post pictures.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #1258
Bluffen

Quote:
This is the info right off their site. I spent an hour talking to the honor who is 70 years young chemist. I took a book worth of notes and got a mini MBA on filtration and lubrication along with what goes on in the industry. I will be running their break in oil when I start the engine.

Here is the link to the filter http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...em&itemKey=694

This is right off their site. This filter is basically an investment!

"The Cleanable Filter"
Easy to clean with soap and water. Easy inspection and monitoring engine condition. Improve fuel mileage, cooler operating temperatures, increase horsepower, lower emissions, extend oil change intervals, reduce lubricant disposal, reduce down time, reduce inventory, reduce engine wear. Independent Laboratory SAE and ASTM tests show up to 90% Improved particle removal (down to 1 - 2 microns), Oil Flow 37 gpm (2-3 times increased oil flow) and 1,000 psi Burst Pressure. Used in all major racing venues on land, sea and air.
Pure Power! Lifetime Oil Filter. CLEANABLE AND REUSABLE.
Direct Spin-on Replacement with Emergency Relief Valve (ByPass)
American Made 6061 T6 CNC Machined Forged Billet Aluminum Housing and Bypass; Stainless Steel Dual Woven Filter Media; Mil-Spec Viton® O-rings on all sealing surfaces. Superior in quality, workmanship, design and Aerospace CNC machining specs from AMERICAN Certified 6061 T6, Cold Finished, Billet material, the finest quality stainless steel filter media and extreme high temperature Aerospace ceramic investment material; Two Neodymium magnets located on each side of the filter media. Each magnet is rated to capture 16 Oz of ferrous metal and has a larger magnetic field area. "J" cut threads and a starting thread to prevent cross threading.

I'm looking to take a tour of the facility when I'm in the area and will post pictures.
Nathan Thank you for the info, I just purchased a chrome intake top and im looking at some custom coil covers .going to change 2 or 3 pulleys and thats about it not as an extensive rebuild as you. Im married with children I live in Fontana not to far from you so when your done I would love to come see your car.

I just bought this today

And I am going to Rancho today to check a company out who makes coil covers;

They can anodize them blue also to match my car.

Just thought I would share this with you

Last edited by Bluffen; 07-13-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #1259
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Do you think the v6 and v8 use the same throttle body bolts? I want to replace my throttle body bolts with some chromoly bolts but I don't know the size of them.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #1260
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Bolt and thread gauge. No trips required.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1508268..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1261
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Nathan Thank you for the info, I just purchased a chrome intake top and im looking at some custom coil covers .going to change 2 or 3 pulleys and thats about it not as an extensive rebuild as you. Im married with children I live in Fontana not to far from you so when your done I would love to come see your car.

I just bought this today

And I am going to Rancho today to check a company out who makes coil covers;

They can anodize them blue also to match my car.

Just thought I would share this with you
Bluffen, that looks like a really nice piece. Should make the engine pop. CME is who I got my coil relocation bracket. I wounder if you can get the covers without the Logo.

And your more than welcome to come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Bolt and thread gauge. No trips required.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1508268..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
Synner, thats a great tool! I wish I would had known about it a while back when I was making trip to Home D to measure my bolts. It would have save me a bunch of time. Thanks for posting

KJ, I the meantime, just call your dealer service department and they can tell you the size.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  196.9 KB

Name:  as.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  145.0 KB

I had the dealer print me this diagram today. Not because I needed the size but I had lost the journal I with what bolts went were. Talk about a life saver. The AC compressor and bracket consist of 7 bolts of three different sizes. That could had been a major royal PITA trying to figure it out!

here the link to the section on this thread of it covers measuring bolts: How to measure bolts. Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #1262
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Thanks nathan I'll call my dealer tomorrow and see if they know. Thought I would ask first since it seemed like a better idea than driving to home depot or lowe's or something and popping my hood and taking one bolt off and walking into the store and then remembering to put it back on before driving away.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #1263
Bluffen

Nathan Moreno:

Due to a issue that came up I wasnt able to purchase the chrome piece from the guy in Ohio, hated like hell telling him something came up but he was very undersatnding about it.

I went to CMR and of course I can use my Mastercard there. The coil covers for the LS3 are brand new they just started making them. They only have their logo on them. Theres a possibility they will have some that say Camaro real soon matter of fact I could be the first one. Im bringing my car to them Monday so they can look at how my fuel line will atttach to the fuel rails Im going to get from them. Heres a pic of what the top of my engine should look like in the near future, (the pulleys are not made yet for the LS3)

Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #1264
ny2ss/rs

Drives: 2011 black 2ss/rs
Do you have a web site or number for the coil covers I am interested in a set
ny2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #1265
Bluffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2ss/rs View Post
Do you have a web site or number for the coil covers I am interested in a set

www.cbmmotorsports.com
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #1266
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Nathan Moreno:

Due to a issue that came up I wasnt able to purchase the chrome piece from the guy in Ohio, hated like hell telling him something came up but he was very undersatnding about it.

I went to CMR and of course I can use my Mastercard there. The coil covers for the LS3 are brand new they just started making them. They only have their logo on them. Theres a possibility they will have some that say Camaro real soon matter of fact I could be the first one. Im bringing my car to them Monday so they can look at how my fuel line will atttach to the fuel rails Im going to get from them. Heres a pic of what the top of my engine should look like in the near future, (the pulleys are not made yet for the LS3)

Bluffen, that going to look really good. Let me know if you need any help. Are you planning on taking the intake off to have them dip it? and if so, how much do they charge?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #1267
Nathan Moreno

Reworking the Air Box

Quick update: Start working on the engine bay again while I'm waiting for parts to complete the engine.

Started by removing the bracket for the ABS and the hood strut bracket.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  129.9 KB

Brackets no more......

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  155.5 KB

I'm going to remove the spot welds off the piece that the ABS blocks mounts to and use to relocate the ABS.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  227.2 KB

This is one off the four bolts that holds down the air box. It makes installing and remove the air box a PITA!!! Even with the engine out there is literally no way to put or remove the box without scratching the inner fender and fire wall. Since I'm not planning on reinstall the firewall insulation, I can't have this contraption ruining the freshly painted bay when I get done. So the first call of order was to remove the freakin stud.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  122.1 KB

Much easier to reinstall the cover now. I was going to replace the stud with a nut cert but it is in there tight enough where you really don't need that extra fastener. What you see outline is what I will be removing to make the cover smaller and cleaner.

After welding the cover from the inside at the seem, I am also going to trim off the pinch weld to make for a smooth panel from the outside.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  153.7 KB

Also trimming off the section and fasten it another way.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  124.8 KB

Planning on sealing off this opening by welding a filler piece. The brake line will be re-route through the wheel well.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  165.6 KB

quick before shot of the cover.

Name:  069.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  122.9 KB

Stay tune.........

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 07-15-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #1268
Synner

What are you doing in place of the hood strut?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #1269
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
What are you doing in place of the hood strut?
Had this made but I'm not sure I'm going to go this route. Working on another idea.....well see.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  78.9 KB

Just mocked it up with some tape to give you an idea.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #1270
Synner

If someone made hood hinges with integrated springs I'd be all over it. Stupid strut is in the way anytime you try to do anything to that side of the engine. Although you went a different route by keeping the engine as a paper weight in your living room.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #1271
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
If someone made hood hinges with integrated springs I'd be all over it. Stupid strut is in the way anytime you try to do anything to that side of the engine. Although you went a different route by keeping the engine as a paper weight in your living room.
UHHHHH.........didn't see that one coming, LOL! You must be getting back at me for cracking up when I heard you spent 20 FREAKIN hours grinding on the wrong water pump.

Kyle is working a strut solution for the hinges. I have some other ideas in the works but it's like the 2012 Vararam intake..... you're just going have to wait.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #1272
Synner

Yeah I've given up on the car for a while, too much bad luck all at once. Decided to build an AK47 for a change of pace. Parts should be here in a week, what could possibly go wrong building a firearm? If I stop posting you'll know there was a big oops.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #1273
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Yeah I've given up on the car for a while, too much bad luck all at once. Decided to build an AK47 for a change of pace. Parts should be here in a week, what could possibly go wrong building a firearm? If I stop posting you'll know there was a big oops.
AK47............, HMMMMMM............, Okaaaaaay.........., alrighty then............, I'm retract ever making any comments about ever laughing at you...........
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #1274
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
That engine bay is gonna be SMOOOOOTH....

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #1275
Synner

Quote:
AK47............, HMMMMMM............, Okaaaaaay.........., alrighty then............, I'm retract ever making any comments about ever laughing at you...........
Don't worry I'm a lover not a fighter. And I LOVE shooting stuff.