Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
CTUnlimited
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Auto
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 111
High oil pressure?

Hey guys i posted up before about an oil leak. Now I havent had the time to drive it and also im scared too. At idle my oil pressure gauge stays maxed at 70 psi. I've read this can be normal on a cold start, but it never did this until after I installed my intake and catch can. Also At first i had the catch can installed wrong and leaked a lot of oil from the cap and possibly a valve cover. It doesnt SEEM to be leaking anymore, but i havent had the chance to drive it enough to tell for sure. But after correcting the install, i started having this problem with the oil pressure. Checked to make sure the sending unit is plugged in and it is. Oil level is normal. I'm just curious if any of you guys know any reasons for this? I'm at a loss and am scared to drive it now...
CTUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car
 
mydreamcar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: staten island
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTUnlimited View Post
Hey guys i posted up before about an oil leak. Now I havent had the time to drive it and also im scared too. At idle my oil pressure gauge stays maxed at 70 psi. I've read this can be normal on a cold start, but it never did this until after I installed my intake and catch can. Also At first i had the catch can installed wrong and leaked a lot of oil from the cap and possibly a valve cover. It doesnt SEEM to be leaking anymore, but i havent had the chance to drive it enough to tell for sure. But after correcting the install, i started having this problem with the oil pressure. Checked to make sure the sending unit is plugged in and it is. Oil level is normal. I'm just curious if any of you guys know any reasons for this? I'm at a loss and am scared to drive it now...

after start up yes. 70psi is the norm but after the car warms up at idle that oil pressure should be around 25-28psi. just to make sure are the rest of the gauges working fine ie battery, tranny temp. oil temp or are they also reading high
__________________
CAI intake/ADM Scoop/Stainless Power Headers/Dynatech cat back exhaust/Vitesse Throttle Control/ Ported Throttle Body/QTP Electric Cutouts/ 3.91 gears and janetty rear posi/ Tuned by Janetty racing
mydreamcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
spyderbuddy


 
spyderbuddy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTUnlimited View Post
Hey guys i posted up before about an oil leak. Now I havent had the time to drive it and also im scared too. At idle my oil pressure gauge stays maxed at 70 psi. I've read this can be normal on a cold start, but it never did this until after I installed my intake and catch can. Also At first i had the catch can installed wrong and leaked a lot of oil from the cap and possibly a valve cover. It doesnt SEEM to be leaking anymore, but i havent had the chance to drive it enough to tell for sure. But after correcting the install, i started having this problem with the oil pressure. Checked to make sure the sending unit is plugged in and it is. Oil level is normal. I'm just curious if any of you guys know any reasons for this? I'm at a loss and am scared to drive it now...

When cold mine reads 70 psi also, I have the Vararam and RX catch can also. When it warms up it runs 50 at 2000 rpm, at idle about 30.
__________________
Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, Vararam Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
CTUnlimited
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Auto
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
after start up yes. 70psi is the norm but after the car warms up at idle that oil pressure should be around 25-28psi. just to make sure are the rest of the gauges working fine ie battery, tranny temp. oil temp or are they also reading high
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
When cold mine reads 70 psi also, I have the Vararam and RX catch can also. When it warms up it runs 50 at 2000 rpm, at idle about 30.
Ok well thats good to know. I guess ill take her for a drive and see. I dont remember it being that high at start up before, but it also wasnt really winter weather yet either. thanks guys!
CTUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101
 
rtcat600man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 9,151
yes they are all correct 70 is normal until warmed up. I have some photos at different speeds and rpm's that I would love to post. However, I thin I may have lost my C drive on my laptop. Waiting to get it into the doctor later today (Neighbor is an IT manager). I do have backups just waiting to see what we find first.



UPDATE: Doctor has cured the patient.


PSI at IDLE when WARM

Name:  psi at idle and warm.jpg
Views: 3656
Size:  160.2 KB

PSI at 41 MPH

Name:  psi at 41.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  107.8 KB

PSI at 70 MPH

Name:  psi at 70.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  131.2 KB
__________________

Last edited by rtcat600man; 12-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.
rtcat600man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
FDNY-L107
 
FDNY-L107's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 115
Normal......what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
__________________
Black 2011 Camaro LS M6
- Nitro Dave's NOS Plate System - 100 shot
- Hochkis Front & Rear Comp Sway Bars & End Links, SS Struts & Shocks, Eibach Springs
- BMR Sub-Frame & Tunnel Brace, BMR Rear Toe Rods, Rear Control Arms, GM Strut Bar Brace
- BBK LT Headers w/Kook's 2.5" Cat-Back Exhaust
- Forgeline DE3S Wheels NT05 Tires
- RS 4-gauge pod/RS leather console lid, Leather Steering Wheel, MTI Shifter
- Cold Air Induction CAI w/VMAX Ported TB & Ported+Powdercoated Intake Manifold, SLP UD Pulley, RX Catch can & Breather, RX Black-Iceolator, Port-matched heads
- Braille 17 Battery
- Trifecta Tune
FDNY-L107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
CTUnlimited
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Auto
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 111
Still haven't driven it because all the rain but i did open up the garage and start her up for awhile to see. After warming up for awhile my oil pressure went down to a normal reading at idle. So i feel fairly safe. All this stuff about low oil and engine failures has me paranoid. Especially after i leaked all that oil when i installed the catch can wrong. Still waiting for a real drive to see if there are any leak still too.
CTUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
spyderbuddy


 
spyderbuddy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,795
Yep, as long as that oil temp is down oil press is up. Got to wait till oil temp is around 200 before checking the pressure.
__________________
Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, Vararam Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
rocknRllr
 
rocknRllr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT Crystal Red Metallic
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: virginia
Posts: 195
Oil pressure

Had my break in oil changed two weeks ago and went with a full synthetic oil. ( I have a 2013 2LT/RS (V-6) However, don't know if my oil pressure is OK, when I left home this Am to work the needle was all the way over on 70 psi for about 7-10 miles and then bounced back up to about 38 at 65 mph. I also notice that if I'm going at around 45-50 and give it a little gas it goes all the way over to 70 and then bounces back. Does this seem normal? My engine temp warm as around 190-195.
rocknRllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101
 
rtcat600man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 9,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknRllr View Post
Had my break in oil changed two weeks ago and went with a full synthetic oil. ( I have a 2013 2LT/RS (V-6) However, don't know if my oil pressure is OK, when I left home this Am to work the needle was all the way over on 70 psi for about 7-10 miles and then bounced back up to about 38 at 65 mph. I also notice that if I'm going at around 45-50 and give it a little gas it goes all the way over to 70 and then bounces back. Does this seem normal? My engine temp warm as around 190-195.

yes, normal
__________________
rtcat600man is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Look at GM's Oil Life Monitoring System franknbeans Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 166 05-23-2014 07:31 PM
My V6 oil change experience convert Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 38 04-08-2014 05:15 PM
Can we use the catchcan made for the G8? HaZe_X Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 16 05-05-2010 11:35 AM
New Camo shots of a Camaro bballr4567 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 150 02-18-2010 01:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.