Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
mpiersd

Drives: '10 ABM 2LT/RS
Question V6 brake options for 18 inch wheel??

I've been researching "big brake" options for my 2LT. While there are some great and obvious choices, CTS-V, SS Brembos, 1LE, I am trying to find something that would fit behind a 18 inch wheel due to the fact that I am going to be running 18 inch winter tires/wheels.
My car will be a 1% road race car once I am finished getting the brake set up right, as in I would probably run one or two HPDE a year starting late next year.
Any help is appreciated.
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Just stick with your V6 OEM calipers and upgrade your rotors and pads.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Reservoir kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, ATI Super Damper & 5% Under drive Pulley, Dash-Logic controller, 3m Clear Bra, ZL1 Mirror inserts, GM Interior Ambient lighting, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, Carbon Fiber Bow ties front & rear, ZL1 DRL lighting harness.

KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The SS/1LE calipers are the same, just different color. They are a great value and you can usually pick them up fairly cheap as well. As long as you pick the right offset and wheel face design you can use them with 18" wheels no problem.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
When I did my CTS-V big brake upgrade, i noticed the loss of the "roller skates" from my original SS calipers/pads actually opened up some more space. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stock 18's would fit now. Here is a pic:

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport sways, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
mpiersd

As far as the 18 inch wheel I would be using, to save funds and because it would be a winter beater wheel, I would be using the OEM 20103-2013 Heritage wheels.

Thanks for the advice and the pics. And yeah, the roller skates would definitely be coming off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
The SS/1LE calipers are the same, just different color. They are a great value and you can usually pick them up fairly cheap as well. As long as you pick the right offset and wheel face design you can use them with 18" wheels no problem.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
When I did my CTS-V big brake upgrade, i noticed the loss of the "roller skates" from my original SS calipers/pads actually opened up some more space. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stock 18's would fit now. Here is a pic:

Old 10-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
As far as the 18 inch wheel I would be using, to save funds and because it would be a winter beater wheel, I would be using the OEM 20103-2013 Heritage wheels.

Thanks for the advice and the pics. And yeah, the roller skates would definitely be coming off.
The heritage wheels won't fit over Brembos without spacers. I don't know of any brake upgrade that will. I'd go for a cheap set of aftermarket wheels for winter.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
mpiersd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
The heritage wheels won't fit over Brembos without spacers. I don't know of any brake upgrade that will. I'd go for a cheap set of aftermarket wheels for winter.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
I've got a line on a full set of Heritage wheels, with nearly new tires (1000 miles on them) for less than $500.