Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
My '13 1SS/1LE - Inferno Orange

Well, after 19 months or so with my 2012 1LT that I bought new, I stumbled across a little gem at a GMC truck dealership and my itch for a real deal performance car was getting too much to bear. The figures were reasonable, and a deal was made....

And this came home

A 2013 1SS w/ 1LE package. No other options. It was a one owner car with 1,874 miles on it when I test drove it.

Per previous owner, it has:

-Blacked out SS badges, bowties, and tail light bezels
-Black on the front of the 'Camaro' emblems
-Katzkins custom leather seats w/ suede inserts and orange stitching w/ SS logos
-Custom door arm rests and center console lid (matches seats)
-Inferno Orange door and dash inserts
-Eibach lowering springs - 1" all around
-Borla axle back, seems to be the Touring system, or similar.

A lot of work on an 1,800 mile car that had all the signs of being a garage queen. That was all a great bonus as I was very much happy with all of these mods, and they were all already similar to my own taste.

Mods I have added:

-Ebay front mud guards
-Skip shift eliminator
-Roto Fab Intake
-Elite Catch Can
-JDP Clutch Reservoir Relocation kit
-Interior foot well lighting (red)
-Console compartment light
-Glove box light

Planned:

-JDP Front Tow Hook (here, waiting to install)
-Holley Coil Covers, painted Inferno Orange with 'Chevrolet' lettering
-Underhood lighting
-Grille and cowl lighting
-Finish interior lights (overhead, door pockets, door handles, cup holders)

Excuse picture quality. Weather has been poor and I have been working a lot.

While I was waiting on the finance office to call me in:

And on day two after she came home.

Last edited by SimpleGreen; 05-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
SimpleGreen

These came in Friday. Installed yesterday. Simple, but effective mud guards made by a seller on Ebay. They look nice and are so easy to install, a caveman could do it, lol. Hope they will save the paint on the sides, I adjusted them to be out as far as possible. They attach using the lower two factory screws and simply slide a couple clips on higher up. I used some 3M tape behind them so the pain on the fender edge would not be rubbed off over time. The car came with mud guards already installed on the rear.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Congrats. Beautiful car and great color.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Congrats. Beautiful car and great color.
Thanks!

New mod arrived today.

The stock plastic line for the oil separator looks awful and is in the way of the oil dipstick so I'm picking up a longer rubber hose soon and cutting most of that plastic line off and re-routing it with a rubber hose in a much more discrete area.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
AG1LE

Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS/1LE
Looks great, congrats!
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
SimpleGreen

Thanks.

Small updates.

First, when I saw this car, it was perfect. All that was missing was NPP exhaust (dual mode). Ever since I saw the first 1LE, I wanted one, and NPP was a must. I let it slide because I liked this car a lot, but as of today I have two ZL1 mufflers on the way, a long with a wireless switch (M2W without the high price) and an air valve. Dual mode here I come!!!

Also added some little touches to my engine cover. Stainless Torx screws. I removed the hard plastic separator line too. I didn't like how it got in the way of the dip stick and flopped all over. It's been replaced with a much easier to route and manipulate 3/8" fuel hose.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
SimpleGreen

Christmas came for the Camaro...

How about a couple of dual mode mufflers?

And some hardware to control them. Air valve ($17) to control vacuum flow, a 'Mild 2 Wild' style wireless switch but for $15 instead of $90, and some jacketed 2 conductor wire left over from a project. Perfect for safely running wire in a car.

NPP diffuser panel is on the way. I also want to buy a small project box to mount the valve and control inside of to make this look as OEM as I can. It'll all be down inside of the battery well.

And a random pic of the car. When I take it to work there is a street light at the back of our lot I like to park it under....

Old 12-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Jims73z

Drives: 1973 z28 Rs , 2012 SS/Rs Blk/Blk M6
I recently upgraded my ss with the npp system. FYI I originally didn't remove the resonators and that kept the system too quiet. After removing resonators sounds amazing! I hooked up vacuum manually first then bought
Factory valve and wireless control but have yet to install.
Merry Christmas.
Jims73z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims73z View Post
I recently upgraded my ss with the npp system. FYI I originally didn't remove the resonators and that kept the system too quiet. After removing resonators sounds amazing! I hooked up vacuum manually first then bought
Factory valve and wireless control but have yet to install.
Merry Christmas.
Thanks. I noticed the resonators when I had the exhaust shop lift the car when I was doing my skip shift eliminator, made mental note the cut those off, lol.

Made this up while waiting on Christmas dinner and whatnot.

Made a little harness that will go from the trunk fuse block to the battery well. The wireless on/off switch triggers the air valve, which is a normal closed air valve (so the exhaust will be normally loud). The valve alone wasn't putting enough load on the wireless switch and so it didn't want to stay in the 'on' position, so I added a little indicator light that I had laying around, and it works perfect now. I'm putting it all inside of a small plastic project box in the trunk. When you get down to the battery you'll just have a nice neat little box with a rubber line going in and out, and the power and ground going in. I may mount it with the indicator light sticking out for the heck of it since it's already there.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Jims73z

Drives: 1973 z28 Rs , 2012 SS/Rs Blk/Blk M6
That looks well thought out. Are you using switched power or full time?
Jims73z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims73z View Post
That looks well thought out. Are you using switched power or full time?
My trunk is still apart, so I went and checked. Everything in that fuse block is hot all the time. Darn. I would have to make sure I always turned the exhaust off when I got out of the car using that fuse block.

My other was I was going to get power from the center console switch hot and ground at the dash ground nearby.

Hmm.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
RDesign

Drives: 2012 2SS Europe 45th
Hi, awesome ride !
About your mufflers, it's same model as 1LE ? where did you bought it ?
Thank you by advance for your reply.
RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign View Post
Hi, awesome ride !
About your mufflers, it's same model as 1LE ? where did you bought it ?
Thank you by advance for your reply.
Same mufflers as ZL1 and optional on SS cars. Bought them from another member.

No major updates. NPP setup is actually for sale at the moment. Think I may stick with the Borla on the car.

Goodies ordered lately:

-JDP clutch reservoir relocation (arrived yesterday)
-JDP tow hook, powdercoated black (en route)
-Elite catch can in black (en route)

Going to yank the 'Camaros' off the fenders soon.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
NICE! I like the route you are going with your mods!

Do you plan on getting side skirts? I always felt like thats the only thing that was missing on the 1LEs and makes a huuge difference.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJester7 View Post
NICE! I like the route you are going with your mods!

Do you plan on getting side skirts? I always felt like thats the only thing that was missing on the 1LEs and makes a huuge difference.
Thanks!

I considered it, but I have mixed feelings. I sort of feel like they make the car look kind of fat, and with my lowering springs and the 1LE's short Goodyear tires it currently looks about as slim as a Camaro can, which isn't a bad thing.

I've been thinking hard about Kooks LT's with high flow cats for a while now. That and a tune and a VMax throttle body would be full bolt ons and then some. Just am not too keen on kicking my warranty out the door just yet.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Cheeyuhh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Dang man! Sweet looking car! Nice mods!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
SimpleGreen

Thanks!

Put on my Elite Catch Can as well. Very nice product.

Couple pictures from the Mardi Gras parade I was in with some other club members. Had the car loaded with beads and throws and what not. Hard to throw stuff from these little windows!

Also pictured are the new Michelin AS3s. Took my Goodyears off. These Michelins are awesome for daily driving. My car isn't exactly a daily, but I like to be able to comfortable drive in any weather and I am way happier with these than the Goodyears.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
SimpleGreen

Added some interior lights.

The foot well lights are tied to the dome lights but also have an over ride switch in the center console so I can turn them on with the door shut.

Also added a light inside the console lid and one inside the glove box that have door switches that turn them on and off.

Made the harness myself. The tail at the bottom was supposed to fish under the carpet to the back seats but proved to be too much hassle, so I ran around the regular way under the door sill.

Center console light and switch.

Switch in the console for the floor lights. The switch also lights up when you open the doors since the dome light is powering the lights and feeding back to the switch. I put diodes in place to keep the dome light circuit from feeding into the switch hot, or to keep the switch hot from feeding into the dome light circuit. That wouldn't be needed with an On/On or On/Off/On switch but since I was using an On/Off switch to switch between two power sources I needed two diodes or a relay to stop any unwanted feeds into circuits.

Floor lights

This light is in the top of the glove box liner.

I'm going to finish the inside with some overhead lighting, puddle lights behind the interior door handles and inside the map pockets, and some strip lights under the doors.