Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,520
Brake Pads for Road Course

I have Hawk HT10s and they work great so far. I could probably melt them like some other members I know, but I'm still getting used the heavy car....so I don't brake as late as I have in previous track cars.

Ok now I was wondering is there another pads that performs as good as the HT 10 that isn't so noisy on the streets? I don't drive her too much on the streets but man its embarrassing when I pull up to a light and I have everyone turning around to look at what car is making that noise.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
I have Hawk HT10s and they work great so far. I could probably melt them like some other members I know, but I'm still getting used the heavy car....so I don't brake as late as I have in previous track cars.

Ok now I was wondering is there another pads that performs as good as the HT 10 that isn't so noisy on the streets? I don't drive her too much on the streets but man its embarrassing when I pull up to a light and I have everyone turning around to look at what car is making that noise.
The problem with race and track day pads is they're designed specifically for track day and race use... the temps at which a race pad needs to work really effectively at are way higher than the temps at which a normal street compound pad needs to work at. Because of the much different requirements it's extremely difficult to manufacture a pad that does it all... works well at low temps, works well at high temps, doesn't dust and doesn't squeal. Our experience with brake pads is similar to our experience with all season tires, there are some pads and tires that are ok at everything and better in some things, but not a single choice that works well all the time at everything.

The easiest thing you could do is buy a set of pads specifically for street use, especially if you happen to be running race tires at the track anyway while you're swapping wheels swap pads too.

We've had decent luck with Carbotech pads in dual use applications, but our favorite setup is Hawk DTC-60 front DTC-30 rears for track days, and Hawk HPS for street use. Hawk pads are relatively cheap and the setup will offer pretty good track day performance, while keeping the wear, dust and noise to a minimum on the street with the HPS's.

The other option is to accept the accelerated rotor wear and continue to drive the car with the race pads on all the time. Quit caring about grandma in the Camry next to you thinks about your car, you're out there actually enjoying yours!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
The problem with race and track day pads is they're designed specifically for track day and race use... the temps at which a race pad needs to work really effectively at are way higher than the temps at which a normal street compound pad needs to work at. Because of the much different requirements it's extremely difficult to manufacture a pad that does it all... works well at low temps, works well at high temps, doesn't dust and doesn't squeal. Our experience with brake pads is similar to our experience with all season tires, there are some pads and tires that are ok at everything and better in some things, but not a single choice that works well all the time at everything.

The easiest thing you could do is buy a set of pads specifically for street use, especially if you happen to be running race tires at the track anyway while you're swapping wheels swap pads too.

We've had decent luck with Carbotech pads in dual use applications, but our favorite setup is Hawk DTC-60 front DTC-30 rears for track days, and Hawk HPS for street use. Hawk pads are relatively cheap and the setup will offer pretty good track day performance, while keeping the wear, dust and noise to a minimum on the street with the HPS's.

The other option is to accept the accelerated rotor wear and continue to drive the car with the race pads on all the time. Quit caring about grandma in the Camry next to you thinks about your car, you're out there actually enjoying yours!
I'm sure you are braking way harder than me. I think I will try out Carbotechs. If you are getting decent use out of them and they are somewhat quieter for street use then I should be ok for now. I haven't melted my pads like my buddy of mine in his Camaro. I like to drive the car home. Not trailing her.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
HaddadMotorsports
 
HaddadMotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Inglewood
Posts: 532
I run Hawk HP+ pads on the street and track.
They're livable on the street, and decent on the track.

I used to run HPS's on the street, and swapped pads for track days. Besides being lazy, the HPS pads didn't cut it when I got that midnight craving to go for a special canyon drive

BTW I run HPS pads on the rear all day, track or not. They just aren't doing much work.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,613
The only pads I use are made by Cobalt Friction. There is nothing better. XR1 front and XR3 rear for the SS brakes. They are not cheap, but they are the best.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
bigwayne3000

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,813
I own an LS, I didnt see any Hawk pads for the LS only SS. Do they make them and Im just blind?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
I own an LS, I didnt see any Hawk pads for the LS only SS. Do they make them and Im just blind?
Custom pad$$$$$

I am sure that Mike can help you find what you need off the shelf.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post
I run Hawk HP+ pads on the street and track.
They're livable on the street, and decent on the track.

I used to run HPS's on the street, and swapped pads for track days. Besides being lazy, the HPS pads didn't cut it when I got that midnight craving to go for a special canyon drive

BTW I run HPS pads on the rear all day, track or not. They just aren't doing much work.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
Track time on a budget... (saving for c7)
so it's brake pad ordering time again. Have a quick question... can you name a few of the tracks you go to? Some tracks require more braking than others, so this is why I'm asking before I place my order.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
JDP Sales

 
JDP Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Track time on a budget... (saving for c7)
so it's brake pad ordering time again. Have a quick question... can you name a few of the tracks you go to? Some tracks require more braking than others, so this is why I'm asking before I place my order.

Thanks in advance!
We have been using the Hawk DTC 30 up front and Hawk HP Plus in the rear on our JDP track spec Camaro out at Miller Motorsports park and they are working well.

We have great pricing on Hawk. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or for a quote.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,084
Tyler, you running 6 pot or 4 pot up front with those pads?
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
JDP Sales

 
JDP Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Tyler, you running 6 pot or 4 pot up front with those pads?
That is with the CTS-V 6 piston rotors up front, but we have friends/Customers running the same setup on the stock SS calipers with great results as well.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Johnny@MTI
 
Johnny@MTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 99 ls1 miata
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 192
I run carbotech race pads.

Pulling into the pis or nailing the brakes for turn one....exact same feel.
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The only pads I use are made by Cobalt Friction. There is nothing better. XR1 front and XR3 rear for the SS brakes. They are not cheap, but they are the best.
I run Cobalt Friction all the time and they work great!
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
White_SS/RS

 
White_SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I run Cobalt Friction all the time and they work great!
Were you running the Cobalt friction before you switched to the CTSV set up?
__________________
LMS Engineering
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hawk Pads Ceramic complete set fronts and rears. Xplosive Performance Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 94 06-22-2012 04:00 PM
Stainless Works Longtube w/High Flow cats plus Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads Xplosive Performance V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 35 09-17-2011 11:03 AM
TUNERZ STORE|Holiday SALE on HAWK HPS/HP+/Ceramic Performance Brake Pads|FREE S&H Tunerz_Store Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 3 11-27-2010 12:22 PM
Hawk, DBA & Goodridge Brake Upgrade Packages from JSC Speed JSC Speed Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 4 08-05-2010 02:29 PM
FS: STILLEN Metal Matrix High Performance Brake Pads - NIB Michael_Js Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 17 06-04-2010 08:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.