Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #52
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Truth.

??????????

As I wrote earlier....

Happy New Year to you as well comrade, but I'm confused about your post....I am right on track and totally in line with Chance's thoughts and post to a "T"....
I was just clarifying what 2nd Chance was talking about, you seemed to be referring strictly to engine output, he was also talking about the Wixom production numbers and not horsepower when he said "If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price". That's Wixom production output not HP output.

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance:
"The LS7 is expensive, but look what you get. It is a race motor for the street. Hmmm, wouldn't that make for a great Z28 engine?! If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price."

You said:"Output increase is for the consumer to do. Historically, Chevy engines are stout, and are given much room for opportunity in the cam, induction, and exhaust areas for improvement. IE...they are watered down. The LS3 and the LS7 as stand alone N/A motors have so much engineered to allow them to turn up the HP volume. But, with the internals designed they way there are, the LS7 is a straight in spades compared to the LS3."

It really was just a minor clarification, no big deal. It's all good!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #53
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
I can tell you this... you guys have it nailed on what a Z28 should be. If I had the choice between a $60k ZL1 at 580HP or a $47K Z28 (505HP Z28) assuming excellent suspension I would lean towards Z28 as a daily driver. Just the idea of having a 427 Camaro (based on small block) would be phenomenal.

Can you imagine that a Gen6 comes out WITH the 427 on the ATS platform (Alpha)? It would be a total ANIMAL. Come to think of it.... that would be a nice plate for it.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #54
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Welcome to the party!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #55
68vert
 
68vert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 745
This thread is full of great suggestions and pointers of where we would like the Z/28 to be. Now that the ZL1 is nailed down and entering production, I would suggest that GM go ahead and throw out what their targets and broad ideas for the Z/28 are, along with a general idea of when it will hit the street. I think that the rabid hive mind on this here forum can handle it.

Also, I would love to see a slightly more tubbed rear. We need to be able to put at least some 325's back there.

More usage of aluminum and carbon fiber would not hurt anybody's feeling either. (roof, frame, floorpans?? )
__________________
2010 SIM SS/RS see garage for mods
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #56
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I was just clarifying what 2nd Chance was talking about, you seemed to be referring strictly to engine output, he was also talking about the Wixom production numbers and not horsepower when he said "If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price". That's Wixom production output not HP output.

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance:
"The LS7 is expensive, but look what you get. It is a race motor for the street. Hmmm, wouldn't that make for a great Z28 engine?! If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price."

You said:"Output increase is for the consumer to do. Historically, Chevy engines are stout, and are given much room for opportunity in the cam, induction, and exhaust areas for improvement. IE...they are watered down. The LS3 and the LS7 as stand alone N/A motors have so much engineered to allow them to turn up the HP volume. But, with the internals designed they way there are, the LS7 is a straight in spades compared to the LS3."

It really was just a minor clarification, no big deal. It's all good!!
Clyde
Semantics ....I did refer to the LS7 engine having much room for growth power wise, and that's up to the consumer, Wixom as stated previously is currently around 5K units having the capacity for 10 K. Room is available at the inn, the vacancy light is on. Let's build 'em and use 'em! It's all good comrade..agreed...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #57
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Semantics ....I did refer to the LS7 engine having much room for growth power wise, and that's up to the consumer, Wixom as stated previously is currently around 5K units having the capacity for 10 K. Room is available at the inn, the vacancy light is on. Let's build 'em and use 'em! It's all good comrade..agreed...
If they build a new Z/28 with an LS7, I'm there and on it!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #58
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
If they build a new Z/28 with an LS7, I'm there and on it!!
Clyde
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #59
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
I tell you what, as much as I like a beautiful woman, no two are alike. I mean, it's not like I'm married to a ZL1! But then again, I don't know if I could cheat on her.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I tell you what, as much as I like a beautiful woman, no two are alike. I mean, it's not like I'm married to a ZL1! But then again, I don't know if I could cheat on her.
...well, if a track pack 1LE AKA Z28 came along...then....maybe?
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #61
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Is there any downside for GM if they offered a Z28 as prescribed?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #62
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Downside? Sniping a few SS and ZL1 sales...but RETAINING those sales, at the possible expense of them going elsewhere. Assuming a Margin >= an SS or ZL1, money stays with GM...and so does the Customer.

However, I believe there are many folks who, upon knowledge of the Package and its "proper" dynamics/results, will beat a path to the Chevy Store who may not otherwise show up...and those sales are known as CONQUESTS. The name Z/28 alone will draw "traffic", a test drive will confirm the legitimacy of the name, the pricepoint WILL be "competitive", relatively...

Net result? More Camaro sales, in total. And, as a traffic-builder, more potential sales, period.

"Salesfolks, Start Your Engines!"
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #63
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
I don't think there's any downside. I believe it would only increase volume in sales for awhile. There are those who want the Z-28, not the SS, and don't want to purchase, or can't afford the ZL1. A large void will be made after the ZL1 is out, and voids need to be filled. It's all upside for the Z-28's return.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 01-06-2012 at 08:00 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #64
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I don't think there's any downside. I believe it would only increase volume in sales for awhile. There are those who want the Z-28, not the SS, and don't want to purchase, or can't afford the ZL1. A large void will be made made after the ZL1 is out, and voids need to be filled. It's all upside for the Z-28's return.
I totally agree with these thoughts, I think a "proper" Z/28 can only help Chevy sales.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #65
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I totally agree with these thoughts, I think a "proper" Z/28 can only help Chevy sales.
Clyde
Agreed. Those of us here, especially Lowdown, Wykoff, and 2ndchance, have time and time again made a case point for a successfull return of the Z-28. You and I also see the light, it's a win win situation. I don't see any argument against it, other than Corporate being wishy washy, hesistant for whatever reason, or not willing to be bold and go forth with it against the advent of the ZL1. SAS motto: Who dares...Wins. Chevy wins...it's about winning, let's win on a grand scale, ZL1 and Z-28. Times running out. The CAFE clock's ticking Chevy. One two punch.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #66
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...well, if a track pack 1LE AKA Z28 came along...then....maybe?
SHHHHHhhhHHHHHHHH!!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #67
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Agreed. Those of us here, especially Lowdown, Wykoff, and 2ndchance, have time and time again made a case point for a successfull return of the Z-28. You and I also see the light, it's a win win situation. I don't see any argument against it, other than Corporate being wishy washy, hesistant for whatever reason, or not willing to be bold and go forth with it against the advent of the ZL1. SAS motto: Who dares...Wins. Chevy wins...it's about winning, let's win on a grand scale, ZL1 and Z-28. Times running out. The CAFE clock's ticking Chevy. One two punch.
It can only happen. And it will. We all know it will.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #68
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
It can only happen. And it will. We all know it will.
I trust you are right my friend. And I also trust they do it against the popular current trend that it must surpass this car or beat that car in one way shape or form. Those who buy cars based upon what rag mags say, or what manufacturers state what the performance numbers are based upon the competition aren't with it. They will be only chasing numbers down the road, and never be satisfied. We will be. I guess that what propels the hype, marketing and sales race anyway. It used to be what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Now it's one upsmanship before cars even hit the street to be fully compared and validated. Just make the damn car and carry on.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
700 hp z/28

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SS vs Z. Why?? Not another Z28 Thread!! Just curious. TRIXXTERR General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 29 01-21-2011 10:27 AM
I specially ordered a Z28! (unlike all of you) 496BIGBLOCK Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 70 01-02-2011 02:44 PM
Why do you think the Z28 is the higher tier? The_Blur Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 181 10-14-2009 09:08 PM
Bob Lutz interview radz28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 113 08-28-2008 02:30 PM
Z28 - Please try and understand..... GTAHVIT Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 73 07-24-2008 01:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.