Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Drove one! Orange SS! Quick review, and Q&A (Austin Auto Show)

Yeahhh... sooo. I just got to drive the orange SS L99 with the white stripes. No joke. At the austin auto show. Casey is going to put a vid of it up today, i think on 5th gen. But WOW!!!! Unbelievable. Suspension is great. Sight lines are not as bad as you might think. The "button" shifters are.. not the best, but still usable and fun. Gas pedal is sensitive, the engine is ready to be utilized at the slightest touch. Yet it is surprisingly quiet unless you really get on it. The idle is almost silent... unfortunate. Thats what the aftermarket is for. Standard sound system was pretty great, Boston Acoustics was magical. The audio display and system was as easy to use as i have heard. Lots of interesting and usefull settings such as "max startup volume", so if your blasting the tunes when you get out, you wont be given a heart attack when you turn the key again. The seats are very comfortable. Have to admit, the cloth was a little disappointing, fairly low quality. Not durability, but they just didnt feel very nice, maybe low thread count or something? Anyway, the leather felt great! Headroom is going to be an issue if you're much over 6'. There was a guy that was 6' 5" that had one on pre-order there that had to recline the seat pretty far to fit in. Thatl get old. Back seats=worthless. Cross town hop might be ok, and even that will be in extreme discomfort for any grown adult. Im 6' and I had to angle my legs uncomfortably and my head was pressed heavily against the roof. An interesting note, however, is that the sunroof really doesnt change the headroom situation much. Ummmm... what else? Brakes were responsive and confidence-inspiringly quick. Oh yeah, and the camaros really do look great in person. All of the colors look fantastic, and the one that seemed most improved in person was yellow. One small gripe about the in-person look is the gills, as i would call them, they look strangely pointless. Ive heard the reverse lights called an "after-thought", but they looked all right. These gills look like an after-thought if you asked me. With dark colors, though, they dont stand out as much. Anyway. Beautiful car. Its great. Cant think of much else. Im about to go back to the show, but if anyone has anymore questions about handling or sound or anything about the car, id be happy to answer all.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!

Last edited by SemperFi; 04-18-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Specify L99
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
perfxn
 
Drives: 2SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 305
howd you get to drive it!!! where did you drive it? how long? what did you think if the aqua blue? my folks are trying to get me switch to it from black. Some said it looks better with the light on it?
perfxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Melson
 
Melson's Avatar
 
Drives: Wild Cherry
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 430
Did you get a chance to crank up the audio? How does it sound?
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
ArcAngel


 
ArcAngel's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manalapan-NJ
Posts: 2,873
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
" Boston Acoustics was magical. " I'm guessing he means it was awesome!
__________________
Through HIM you believe in GOD, who raised HIM from the dead and Glorified him..
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,344
Hey guys...just got home too.

Boston Acoustics was REALLY impressive. I turned it up and again, was impressed. My wife really liked it too and said it sounded great. That means a lot coming from her. This is why I always wanted BA for the sound system. GM kicked @ss and listened on this one!

Throttle response really is AWESOME in the auto...I mean....woah!

Ambient lighting was working in the SS's. During the day, you can't see it. At night, it's a soft glow. You had to cup your hands around or put something above the light to create a shadow in order to see the light. It did look GOOD! ABL won't be available on the first year run, but the team is still working on the issue with the dash to have it available for the next year run. They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers.

I was very impressed with the cars at the show. Even through I got to drive Dons yellow SS here in San Antonio last month, I must say....... That OM 2SS was a HUGE refreshment!!!



ON another note.....


At first sight (and on a Solstice), I didn't really like the Inferno Orange Metallic. Now? I LOVE IT. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! All you guys who think it's a color that is just a bit off REALLY need to see it IN PERSON on the Camaro. Holy.....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,706
Quote:
At first sight (and on a Solstice), I didn't really like the Inferno Orange Metallic. Now? I LOVE IT. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! All you guys who think it's a color that is just a bit off REALLY need to see it IN PERSON on the Camaro. Holy.....
Thanks for that, i ordered it but wanted CGM, but did not want to wate for CGM.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfxn View Post
howd you get to drive it!!! where did you drive it? how long? what did you think if the aqua blue? my folks are trying to get me switch to it from black. Some said it looks better with the light on it?
It was an event for camaro fans early in the morning. They had said they were driving one around. So as we were about to leave.. we asked if they were still driving around, so we could hear it. We were surprised to recieve a hushed reply telling us to slip out the side doors, and we could get a few minutes behind the wheel! Woo Hoo! As for the blue, didnt see one, so I really couldnt tell you. Certainly would be more unique. Up to you man.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Hey guys...just got home too.

Boston Acoustics was REALLY impressive. I turned it up and again, was impressed. My wife really liked it too and said it sounded great. That means a lot coming from her. This is why I always wanted BA for the sound system. GM kicked @ss and listened on this one!

Throttle response really is AWESOME in the auto...I mean....woah!

Ambient lighting was working in the SS's. During the day, you can't see it. At night, it's a soft glow. You had to cup your hands around or put something above the light to create a shadow in order to see the light. It did look GOOD! ABL won't be available on the first year run, but the team is still working on the issue with the dash to have it available for the next year run. They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers.

I was very impressed with the cars at the show. Even through I got to drive Dons yellow SS here in San Antonio last month, I must say....... That OM 2SS was a HUGE refreshment!!!



ON another note.....


At first sight (and on a Solstice), I didn't really like the Inferno Orange Metallic. Now? I LOVE IT. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! All you guys who think it's a color that is just a bit off REALLY need to see it IN PERSON on the Camaro. Holy.....
Agree with all. The IOM is more like Burnt Orange in person, unlike how it seems in pictures. Looks fantastic!! Something else I noticed that I havent seen people mention, is the ambient lighting that comes from around the gauges. Pretty sweet touch there.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melson View Post
Did you get a chance to crank up the audio? How does it sound?
Like Tag said, and in accordance with my "magical" comment, it was fantastic. You wouldnt be disappointed with the base system, but I would certainly say the BA is worth the 500 bucks. Just me being an audio man.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Agree with all. The IOM is more like Burnt Orange in person, unlike how it seems in pictures. Looks fantastic!!
Toss some gold flake in there as well. Honestly, and this is IMO, it just didn't look good on the Solstice. But, the lines on the Camaro sure aren't like the lines on the Solstice...... and that's why I think it really looked good.


...and if anyone is contemplating the BA system....DO IT.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
bobby35ny

 
bobby35ny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South East, FL
Posts: 1,627
"They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers."

That is REALLY nice to hear!!

=bobby
__________________
ZL1::J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,911
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm guessing Tag liked the radio.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Toss some gold flake in there as well. Honestly, and this is IMO, it just didn't look good on the Solstice. But, the lines on the Camaro sure aren't like the lines on the Solstice...... and that's why I think it really looked good.


...and if anyone is contemplating the BA system....DO IT.
Certainly. After getting in and out of the SKY amd the Solstice, I wasnt overly impressed by build quality, the doors rattled when you closed them and such. Possibly pre-pro problems, but it just made me even more pleased with the camaro's quality.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
"They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers."

That is REALLY nice to hear!!

=bobby
Also talked about integrating in the coming HUD system as well. Thatl be really awesome as well.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm guessing Tag liked the radio.
And for good reason man. It was great. Even down at low volumes the bass was still present. And all the way at the top, you just wouldnt believe the clarity in the sound. Fantastic.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,498
GM figured they would like those burnt orange colors in Austin!
Attached Images
 
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
GM figured they would like those burnt orange colors in Austin!
Lol. Yes, certainly a good play. Hookem Horns!
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,498
The G8 was actually one of my favorites. I can't belive you snuck out the door and drove one. I forgot all about the ones that were outside.

Nice Move!!!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by mlee; 04-18-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: G6 to G8 LOL
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The G6 was actually one of my favorites. I can't belive you snuck out the door and drove one. I forgot all about the ones that were outside.

Nice Move!!!
G6? Really? Not the G8?

And thank you! I was pleased.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
Wingnut
GOT IT....LOVE IT!!!
 
Wingnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS, Silver Ice
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 193
I was at the show today in Austin. Great presentation from GM even though the "product experts" didn't know as much as the Camaro5 peeps. Was good to meet Scott and Craig, that guy who let us drive it. I was stunned for them to say, get outside and you can take a spin. I though I would get a ride, not drive. The roads were really wet, so you couldn't really get on it, but you could certainly feel the power waiting to be unleashed. Great ride, tight steering and responsive brakes and throttle. The BA radio is the only way to go....sounds awesome. I was not a fan of the IOM unitl I saw it today. With the gray stripes it is very sharp. When we saw it coming down the road I got goosebumps. I felt about 7' tall and extremely lucky when I got out. We are going to LOVE these cars.
__________________
2SS, Silver Ice......delivered June 10th!
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
cyberbro

 
cyberbro's Avatar
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
" Boston Acoustics was magical. " I'm guessing he means it was awesome!
No, he means that a rabbit popped out when he said abracadabra!
__________________
Camaro Dream on hold for now. But when I go for it I will only buy from BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM
 
Xmicro_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Certainly. After getting in and out of the SKY amd the Solstice, I wasnt overly impressed by build quality, the doors rattled when you closed them and such. Possibly pre-pro problems, but it just made me even more pleased with the camaro's quality.
My doors on my SKY do not rattle. Be careful going by the show cars, they take extreme abuse in many cities. The SKY is a very Solid Build, The camaro has a heavier feel, but solid and heavy are two different things. And there are very thick beams in the doors as well. I have actually gone to the SKY/Solstice/Opel plant in Delaware and toured the assembly line during a production day, so I have seen every part of these cars bare.....they are VERY solid. But one is a convertible and one is a coupe, so of course a door close feels different.

Just my 2 cents since I will be owning BOTH of the cars you commented on, and have owned my SKY Redline for over 2 years and 12,000 miles. It is an awesome car, that gets a boat load of looks and comments due to its design and rarity! And I also have had very few issues, and many days of sunny bliss (including today)
__________________
ITS HERE! : 2010 Camaro 2SS / 6 Speed Manual (No other way) / Silver Ice Metallic / Inferno Orange Interior Accent / RS Package / Polished Wheels / SOLO MACH X CAT BACK
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
G6? Really? Not the G8?

And thank you! I was pleased.

Yeah... what you said... G8. My mind was still going in circles about your drive!!
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
My doors on my SKY do not rattle. Be careful going by the show cars, they take extreme abuse in many cities. The SKY is a very Solid Build, The camaro has a heavier feel, but solid and heavy are two different things. And there are very thick beams in the doors as well. I have actually gone to the SKY/Solstice/Opel plant in Delaware and toured the assembly line during a production day, so I have seen every part of these cars bare.....they are VERY solid. But one is a convertible and one is a coupe, so of course a door close feels different.

Just my 2 cents since I will be owning BOTH of the cars you commented on, and have owned my SKY Redline for over 2 years and 12,000 miles. It is an awesome car, that gets a boat load of looks and comments due to its design and rarity! And I also have had very few issues, and many days of sunny bliss (including today)
Thats kind of what I was thinking. They probably have taken some serious abuse. But as I was saying, at the time, it just made the camaros look better. Sorry to inaccurately bash your vehicle.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah... what you said... G8. My mind was still going in circles about your drive!!
Haha. I hear ya. Id be upset for sure. Yeah, those G8's are nice. Seen a few videos of twin turboed G8's on youtube.... WOAH!
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
drive, iom, sound, ss v8

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.