Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Is basic maintenance really all that hard?

Checking the oil. Really not that difficult to do. If an instructional video needs posted I'll see if the 6-year old step-daughter will be game for showing you how to do it.

I'd personally rather try to point a small problem out to the service manager and get a history about it than have a motor spin a bearing because my oil life monitor said I still had 200 miles to go before I was due and the car didn't tell me it was low on oil.
If this inconvenience makes you miss driving whatever you were before, sorry, I just don't give a rat's backside. It's called preventitive maintenance. We practiced it in the military and I don't see there being such a huge inconvenience in it. The guys that will wash a car multiple times a week who don't pop their hood are what I used to call cheese-dogs when I was in. Their tank sure looked pretty but they were looking for a towbar to get out of the motorpool and needing to qualify off of my tank because their's just didn't make it. If it's broke, that pretty gets you nowhere.
Had my lieutenant's gunner ask me one time to take a look at his car because it was making a funny noise. I pulled the dipstick and it looked scorched and the part that had what you would call oil on it looked like black tar-syrup and just above the level it looked like it had charcoal deposits on it. I asked him when he changed it last. He said it was okay, he hadn't reached the 30000-mile oil change interval which is what his brother told him it was(yes, 30 thousand). I didn't even tell him to attempt to start it. I told him to take it to a friend's shop and told him it was 3000-mile interval for engine oil. He asked if I thought it would be okay to just change the oil, and I told him I doubted it. It would probably loosen things up that hadn't been lubricated in 20000+ miles. He started blaming his brother for selling him the car. I just laughed.
Moral of the story:
Get to know your car, or be prepared to pay someone who will for you, and don't blame someone for your lack of knowledge or laziness.

If anyone thinks I'm singling them out on this, I'm just pointing out what a lot of the older guys have done for years, so it's second nature. I'm tired of seeing all of the threads of we need to contact GM and threatening lemon-laws. If someone's found a fix or is sure on the culprit or even ideas, post them up. The rest just seems ridiculous to me.

Just wishing Bmore would post up his next power-generating sensation(e85 was great, and I'm still watching the spacer/isolators).
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Checking the oil. Really not that difficult to do. If an instructional video needs posted I'll see if the 6-year old step-daughter will be game for showing you how to do it.

I'd personally rather try to point a small problem out to the service manager and get a history about it than have a motor spin a bearing because my oil life monitor said I still had 200 miles to go before I was due and the car didn't tell me it was low on oil.
If this inconvenience makes you miss driving whatever you were before, sorry, I just don't give a rat's backside. It's called preventitive maintenance. We practiced it in the military and I don't see there being such a huge inconvenience in it. The guys that will wash a car multiple times a week who don't pop their hood are what I used to call cheese-dogs when I was in. Their tank sure looked pretty but they were looking for a towbar to get out of the motorpool and needing to qualify off of my tank because their's just didn't make it. If it's broke, that pretty gets you nowhere.
Had my lieutenant's gunner ask me one time to take a look at his car because it was making a funny noise. I pulled the dipstick and it looked scorched and the part that had what you would call oil on it looked like black tar-syrup and just above the level it looked like it had charcoal deposits on it. I asked him when he changed it last. He said it was okay, he hadn't reached the 30000-mile oil change interval which is what his brother told him it was(yes, 30 thousand). I didn't even tell him to attempt to start it. I told him to take it to a friend's shop and told him it was 3000-mile interval for engine oil. He asked if I thought it would be okay to just change the oil, and I told him I doubted it. It would probably loosen things up that hadn't been lubricated in 20000+ miles. He started blaming his brother for selling him the car. I just laughed.
Moral of the story:
Get to know your car, or be prepared to pay someone who will for you, and don't blame someone for your lack of knowledge or laziness.

If anyone thinks I'm singling them out on this, I'm just pointing out what a lot of the older guys have done for years, so it's second nature. I'm tired of seeing all of the threads of we need to contact GM and threatening lemon-laws. If someone's found a fix or is sure on the culprit or even ideas, post them up. The rest just seems ridiculous to me.

Just wishing Bmore would post up his next power-generating sensation(e85 was great, and I'm still watching the spacer/isolators).

A little rough, but it is true. I check my oil every other fill up. I work with computers every day, but I still don't think one will ever know better than I when it comes to maintaining my car.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
couldn't agree more, I miss the exciting performance news, just getting overshadowed these last few weeks. I admit I got sucked in early, but it really seems like most of it can be controled with making sure the oil level is ok. Hope we don't have anymore victims.

Checking the oil is a very simple process, it is amazing how technology really can make us Lazy.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
I understand totally where you are coming from, and I do think some peoples are overly paranoid and some to a point where the word exaggeration might fit them pretty well, but I be lying if I was to sit here and say that I haven't checked my dipstick about 10 times today lol I don't really know what to think of this and I have to admit, I really don't like what have happened to our LLT section as of lately. Everything seem to be about oil, oil, oil, and more oil. I wouldn't go as far as planning a lemon law or posting that I think my oil level dropped today but it does worry me a little, and I guess it would if the first thing I see is about oil every time I come to my home section lol.

I will say this. The problem is there obviously, and some folks are paying with a new engine. Check your dipstick more than regularly, and it might not be a bad idea to change your oil more frequently and use nothing but full synth. Unless the dipstick lie about how much oil you have, I think this should help you keep the oil level in the safe zone until you are convinced that you don't fall in the category of this oil mishap, or at least until we get something official from GM assuming GM has looked into this, but if this is a problem that supposedly been happening since caddies and other earlier GM models, we might not get an answer anytime soon especially now with LFX as the new lineup and LLT discontinued.

This definitely sucks and I can tell that this is definitely taking the fun away from some peoples. Our V6 forum is looking dried just when I thought things were looking good, but I'm sure this is just a phase, we will all move on and it will become a topic of the past as always. I guess history just repeats itself.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010 2LT RY, 2014 Silverado
I use to live in this section looking through all these threads, and lately seeing the top posts of blown motors and what not, I was over it and kinda bummed me out. I see where your frustration is, and a lot of truth involved, haha. When mine says 65% left I change it. Even guys at the dealer will tell you to check your oil level, not the computer. My cars over 2 1/2 years old and I just hit 21,000 miles. I wouldn't say thats a whole lot for how old it is, but whats the harm in changing the oil more than maybe needed. If people put so much time and money into bolt-ons etc, and start driving the hell out of the car, don't forget to actually "take care of it" at the same time, and be smart. Don't be a dipstick

Hypertech | Airaid | JBA Exhaust | RX Catch Can/CNC TB/Black Ice-Olator | Ported Intake/Heads | 1LE Brembos | F14's | RS Headlights | ZL1 Grille
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:

I'm glad that at least some peoples enjoy what I help bring to the table The 25mm insulator is worth 14ft lb of tq and about the same hp through redline. Not too different from what hapisok have posted. Good to know that the power gain is consistent. I passed on the results to MACE engineering so I guess steve has plans for it but that's all I know. The e85 was a great break for our LLT but I didn't leave vince alone there LOL ohh noo... stay tuned and once things are solid enough to post I am sure it will happen, and no.. I am not talking about launch conrol
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
10RsCamaro
Slow v6

Drives: Automatic Automobile
Send a message via Skype™ to 10RsCamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I'm glad that at least some peoples enjoy what I help bring to the table The 25mm insulator is worth 14ft lb of tq and about the same hp through redline. Not too different from what hapisok have posted. Good to know that the power gain is consistent. I passed on the results to MACE engineering so I guess steve has plans for it but that's all I know. The e85 was a great break for our LLT but I didn't leave vince alone there LOL ohh noo... stay tuned and once things are solid enough to post I am sure it will happen, and no.. I am not talking about launch conrol
Yeah this section is over populated with the maintenance situations. Cmon bcam test out some 4.10 gears already!
10RsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
blah blah blah... i do agree to some extent. i'd be lying if at this day in age with all the smart car this and smart car that, i were to say its inconceivable to think a car should be able to tell me quantity and quality of remaining oil. but then again, i know computers and electronics too well to know that they fail too. but when the manufacturer puts a monitoring system in the vehicle, its a system that has been tested extensively (or not) and GM trusted it to keep the vehicle within tolerance levels (at least while under warranty) and i should expect the same. with that said, this isn't a new engine and i do believe there is a mechanical failure on their part and therefore the lack of hesitation by GM to replace/repair these motors. it isn't just happening in the camaro. but like you said...preventative maintenance goes a long way. ie: letting your engine/oil warm up before redlining it into traffic , some things are common sense. but i don't believe all the recent post are completely due to owner negligence or GM wouldn't warrant the work.

Quote:
im back on E85 now and getting everything settled out with the ECU. not sure when i'll be back on the dyno with the insulator but it won't be till after the first of the year. best mod for the money so far...hands down!

Last edited by hapisok; 12-21-2011 at 10:21 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I can agree with USA on this for the most part. One thing is for certain...check your oil. Thats the bottom line here.

But thats not to say there isn't some issue or design flaw here. I think that is also the case. I do feel it is excessive to feel the need to have to check your oil every fill up and carry around a quart of oil with you at all times.

Things are still good for performance parts though. RX will be releasing their ported intake manifold before long, and past that he has a plan for a completely different composite intake. Tracey is also very close to releasing his own insulator which looks pretty nice as it is a complete plate to help block more heat, rather than just two seperate insulators for each side of the intake. He plans to test that out shortly, and I hope it works decent since it is 3/8" thick....MAYBE it can work with the Vararam.

bmore...I sure as heck wish I knew what you say you know.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM 2SS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I don't really give a shit about lemon law bull. But I won't be lumped into a group of people I am not part of. I take good care of my car, I have every oil change recorded, I change my oil at 25-30% left on the oil life. Which was usually a 6500-7000 mile interval.

When this crap went down with my motor, my oil life was at 52%, 2 other members of this forum have seen that in person and the SM. I was still short of a 1000 miles since my last oil change and yet my oil was down 3.5 qts?!?

You usually have a high horse act on this board and I ignore it, because you bring up great points on the V6 and way we can improve it. I haven't complained about GM's response to this problem, because well they are fixing my car for free. I have just gone 3 weeks without my prized possession and that's whats irritating.

Any knowledgeable mechanic or ethusiast I talk to instantly thinks, "blow by and bad seals" maybe there was a design flaw. I don't care, I am obviously going to go back to 1975 and check my oil every Sunday night and change the oil at 4000 miles because god forbid in the 21st century we have gotten past that problem.

I have said this before, my 2007 Acura TSX, LEASED, never had these issues, and I waited till the oil life system alerted me, which was usually 15% oil life left. And since it was LEASED I treated that thing worse than my Camaro, but 38k miles and nothing happened. My dad bought out the car and it now sits at 52K miles and no problems.

Every oil change I did until my last one, almost as much oil I put in came out and this time around my oil just goes up and effing disappears and you are going to say we don't take care of our cars?!?! I have gone drag racing once since my last oil change and before that oil change, I went every wednesday from June till August and nothing happened, so how come this happened out of nowhere?

You say you are missing out on Tracy's and Bmore's performance improvements threads? Well guess what you can check out the FI room because that's where the next step is for this engine.

As for me I am pissed at the lack of support SOME of the long time members of this room have provided, who have this "holier than thou attitude" The whole point of online forums is to discuss ideas, problems and provide a knowledge base so people can learn and be pro-active for their own benefit.

Singling out people like me is just plain irresponsible and lazy.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Blade I agree with you, that your incident was basically un-controllable. I do the same type of maintenace as you, but if my engine suddenly decided to loose all of its oil between one or two fill ups at the gas station, there is a good chance that my engine will be toast.

That is a problem, and shouldn't be one that we have to worry about.

Check your oil? Yes of course! But be forced to be paranoid about checking it...thats just wrong.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
10RsCamaro
Slow v6

Drives: Automatic Automobile
Send a message via Skype™ to 10RsCamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
He's not singling out you, and to be honest I think he is just tired of post after post about this oil situation on the bolt on section. There are many other mods for this car before just going right for forced induction. Hope all is going well for your car. 2 cents that's all
10RsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I don't really give a shit about lemon law bull. But I won't be lumped into a group of people I am not part of. I take good care of my car, I have every oil change recorded, I change my oil at 25-30% left on the oil life. Which was usually a 6500-7000 mile interval.

When this crap went down with my motor, my oil life was at 52%, 2 other members of this forum have seen that in person and the SM. I was still short of a 1000 miles since my last oil change and yet my oil was down 3.5 qts?!?

You usually have a high horse act on this board and I ignore it, because you bring up great points on the V6 and way we can improve it. I haven't complained about GM's response to this problem, because well they are fixing my car for free. I have just gone 3 weeks without my prized possession and that's whats irritating.

Any knowledgeable mechanic or ethusiast I talk to instantly thinks, "blow by and bad seals" maybe there was a design flaw. I don't care, I am obviously going to go back to 1975 and check my oil every Sunday night and change the oil at 4000 miles because god forbid in the 21st century we have gotten past that problem.

I have said this before, my 2007 Acura TSX, LEASED, never had these issues, and I waited till the oil life system alerted me, which was usually 15% oil life left. And since it was LEASED I treated that thing worse than my Camaro, but 38k miles and nothing happened. My dad bought out the car and it now sits at 52K miles and no problems.

Every oil change I did until my last one, almost as much oil I put in came out and this time around my oil just goes up and effing disappears and you are going to say we don't take care of our cars?!?! I have gone drag racing once since my last oil change and before that oil change, I went every wednesday from June till August and nothing happened, so how come this happened out of nowhere?

You say you are missing out on Tracy's and Bmore's performance improvements threads? Well guess what you can check out the FI room because that's where the next step is for this engine.

As for me I am pissed at the lack of support SOME of the long time members of this room have provided, who have this "holier than thou attitude" The whole point of online forums is to discuss ideas, problems and provide a knowledge base so people can learn and be pro-active for their own benefit.

I hope nothing I said offended you. I will say that I think the moral to the story is the computer isn't the best guide. I know we love to trust computers, but WE are the best computer, we can think and adjust.

No doubt you love your car and will do everything to care for it. I would never challenge that, I just think we need to step up because maybe there is a flaw, but it is preventable. The best synthetic oil and more frequent oil changes.

even with these flaws don't forget there isn't a better looking car on the road
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM 2SS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
I hope nothing I said offended you. I will say that I think the moral to the story is the computer isn't the best guide. I know we love to trust computers, but WE are the best computer, we can think and adjust.

No doubt you love your car and will do everything to care for it. I would never challenge that, I just think we need to step up because maybe there is a flaw, but it is preventable. The best synthetic oil and more frequent oil changes.

even with these flaws don't forget there isn't a better looking car on the road
Agreed.....and I don't even blame GM on this really, I am figuring they thought there were no issues and provided the best advice on how to take care of the engine.

There is a reason why they are fixing these so quick and without much push back. We already had a forum user, a v8 owner of all people, receive a confirmation that GM is aware that there is a problem on some of these builds.

Maybe they got rid of the problem with the LFX, but I don't even want that engine, because this engine is so much more fun lol. There are more exhaust options and performance options with this engine.

Hell I went and test drove a 335is a week ago and that car broke down while I was driving! The power steering pump shut down, because the battery went screwy while driving. I loved the car's performance, but would I trade in the Camaro for any thing else? No, because well our car's just look better, no arguments.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote