Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
nine1wing
 
nine1wing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: wyoming, Michigan
Posts: 59
just got back from 1/4 mile track

I think those of you who got the v6 are going to be really happy with some of the cars you'll be able to beat. I'm up here in michigan, there was a ton of srt dogde chargers there today along with the chrylser 300's, I am AMAZED on how the srt's can't get into the 13's and thats including tunes headers and other bolt ons, there was one with a turbo and he got a 13.22. I raced against 2 srt's and the 300, beat them all. I think the v6 will be able to to beat the srt which is amazing considering the price difference, the 300 actually did alittle bit better so that might be a closer race for those with the v6. Anyways just thought you guys would be interested in hearing this. Oh and no challengers were there :(
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
nine1wing
 
nine1wing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: wyoming, Michigan
Posts: 59
forgot to add, that the srts were all around 14.1 to 14.3
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
syr74
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Thunderbird
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 951
Not a mopar fan here, but if you think those times are indciative of what you can expect from SRT8 Dodge cars in general you are going to be very disappointed. On a nice day and on a good surface low 13's are the norm, and very high 12's have been had bone stock on a nice, prepped surface. Unless the drivers are complete idiots, a V6 Camaro doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell against anything with an SRT8 badge.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Not a mopar fan here, but if you think those times are indciative of what you can expect from SRT8 Dodge cars in general you are going to be very disappointed. On a nice day and on a good surface low 13's are the norm, and very high 12's have been had bone stock on a nice, prepped surface. Unless the drivers are complete idiots, a V6 Camaro doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell against anything with an SRT8 badge.
That's about right. To the OP, you cannot look at one or two results and make sweeping generilizations.... you will get your a$$ handed to you by a stock SRT8 in the high 12's.
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,427
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Yeah something doesn't sound right
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1wing View Post
I think those of you who got the v6 are going to be really happy with some of the cars you'll be able to beat. I'm up here in michigan, there was a ton of srt dogde chargers there today along with the chrylser 300's, I am AMAZED on how the srt's can't get into the 13's and thats including tunes headers and other bolt ons, there was one with a turbo and he got a 13.22. I raced against 2 srt's and the 300, beat them all. I think the v6 will be able to to beat the srt which is amazing considering the price difference, the 300 actually did alittle bit better so that might be a closer race for those with the v6. Anyways just thought you guys would be interested in hearing this. Oh and no challengers were there :(
Have you been to the track much?? It just sounds like a slow track day. I've been to the track when LS1's Fbody's have had trouble getting into the 13's (13.9-14.5's). If you've been before, you would know that there are crappy days sometimes, and great days others. On that same day, I'm sure new v6 Camaro's would have been stuck in the mid 15's.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Visual_Perfection
 
Visual_Perfection's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Have you been to the track much?? It just sounds like a slow track day. I've been to the track when LS1's Fbody's have had trouble getting into the 13's (13.9-14.5's). If you've been before, you would know that there are crappy days sometimes, and great days others. On that same day, I'm sure new v6 Camaro's would have been stuck in the mid 15's.
I agree, and it really mostly has to do with Crappy drivers...

Sounds like these guys couldn't drive, so in this case it would have been hilarious to see a great driver in a v6 camaro running the same times as those crapy drivers in their SRT8's and RT's

Just because a car is a low 13 second car does not mean that is what it will run... the driver of a car has a HUGE play in what a car runs.

I feel bad for them though, I mean a low 14 in a SRT8? lol poor guys think they got ripped off!

But this is exactly how stories begin.. you get guys going to a track and seeing a car run a certain number, then word gets spread on the internet that they only run "xx.xx" in the 1/4 mile! Same thing happend when the GTO's came out.. there were people saying they were mid 14 second cars, just because that is what they saw when they were at the track.. when in reality the LS1 GTO's were mid 13 second cars and the LS2's were Low 13 second cars.
__________________
2002 Bonneville SLE
Zaino Treated, 6000k HID's, 25% Tint, Red Painted Calipers, Vent Visors, LED Conversion
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
Ferrarimk13
 
Ferrarimk13's Avatar
 
Drives: Hopefully a Camaro in a year
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 727


bone stock V6
Ferrarimk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post


bone stock V6
what does that video have to do with anything? Not only were those numbers not pulled on a track, they weren't done on the same day on the same track as the OP.

If the SRT8's numbers were run with an auto, then that was probably just a slow day at the track. If you guys don't believe me on this, you are probably going to be VERY VERY disappointed in the track times the V6 camaro pulls. Even an SS. Shitty track conditions happen. More often than great conditions actually.

When the G8 GT was reviewed by the magazines, it was trapping 104's. When people finally got them to the tracks, they were only hitting 98-100 on average. Shit happens. It doesn't mean it can't hit those magazine numbers, it just means that you have to wait for optimal conditions, not just weather but track as well. Not only that, but all tracks are different. It's like comparing dyno numbers from different dyno's.

I've been to the track when R/T hemis were trapping ~94's MPH, LS1's ~99's MPH, a GT500 ~109 MPH, LS6 Z06 ~ 109 MPH, 99-04 GT's in the 93's MPH, 05-09 GT's ~97's MPH. On more than one occasion. And this is at a track at sea level. On these same days, I'm sure the v6 camaro would have been in the 92's having a very hard time breaking into the 14's and the SS Camaro's probably in the 105's in the mid 13's to high 13's.


You'll see.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post
I agree, and it really mostly has to do with Crappy drivers...

Sounds like these guys couldn't drive, so in this case it would have been hilarious to see a great driver in a v6 camaro running the same times as those crapy drivers in their SRT8's and RT's

Just because a car is a low 13 second car does not mean that is what it will run... the driver of a car has a HUGE play in what a car runs.

I feel bad for them though, I mean a low 14 in a SRT8? lol poor guys think they got ripped off!

But this is exactly how stories begin.. you get guys going to a track and seeing a car run a certain number, then word gets spread on the internet that they only run "xx.xx" in the 1/4 mile! Same thing happend when the GTO's came out.. there were people saying they were mid 14 second cars, just because that is what they saw when they were at the track.. when in reality the LS1 GTO's were mid 13 second cars and the LS2's were Low 13 second cars.

What's funny is we will be seeing threads just like this in other forums about the Camaro SS in the near future.
Guys (Ford, Dodge, Nissan, etc) will be saying the Camaro SS is a high 13- mid 14 sec car, because they watched somebody run that at their local track.
And there will be plenty of guys running 14s in the 426hp Camaro SS. It will definately happen (for whatever reason).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette
 
Restroom's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 189
It just goes back to the oldest wisdom of the strip: On any given day, pretty much anything can beat anything else, for some reason, and that's why we keep going. Unless you're a bracket racer, in which case who knows what's wrong with you : >
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Bocephus
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post


bone stock V6
Damn. The Camaro V6 is such a sweet deal.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
nine1wing
 
nine1wing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: wyoming, Michigan
Posts: 59
So the whole group of around 15 people with all top dodge chargers all cant drive? Thats your argument??? I have yet to see in person, excluding the guy whos license plate say turbo, INCLUDING last year to see a charger, get into the 13's, it was 68 degrees yesterday, PERFECT track conditions. But then again I did say I'm way up here in michigan so maybe that does make a difference. I've been on you tube, and watched the charger hit 13's, but then again I've also seen a bone stock 04 mach 1 hit a 13.17 on there so yeah I guess it all depends on driver. Not picking fights, just pointing out what I've seen the last 2 years in person. And after yesterday watching all those guys struggle, it hit me just how good the v6 might do.

Last edited by nine1wing; 04-19-2009 at 08:23 AM.
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1wing View Post
So the whole group of around 15 people with all top dodge chargers all cant drive? Thats your argument??? I have yet to see in person, excluding the guy whos license plate say turbo, INCLUDING last year to see a charger, get into the 13's, it was 68 degrees yesterday, PERFECT track conditions. But then again I did say I'm way up here in michigan so maybe that does make a difference. I've been on you tube, and watched the charger hit 13's, but then again I've also seen a bone stock 04 mach 1 hit a 13.17 on there so yeah I guess it all depends on driver. Not picking fights, just pointing out what I've seen the last 2 years in person. And after yesterday watching all those guys struggle, it hit me just how good the v6 might do.
Have you run at the track yet? Times?

My SRT8 is not a track car, but I ran it a few times for kicks. Terrible conditions in Texas in the Summer, DA was +1750. Ran 13.30 at 109mph with no mods. Also saw group of new mustang GTs running 14.7's, but did not assume that was the norm. Follow?
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'85 Camaro vs. '87 Mustang and '91 Firebird Supercamaro64 3rd Generation Camaros 32 05-14-2009 07:01 PM
GT-R > Viper ACR @ 1/4 mile diddiyo General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 49 12-29-2008 04:05 PM
1/4 mile run Conflict 4th Generation Camaros 3 12-11-2008 08:27 AM
The 2010 Camaro, back then and now... bolteon593 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 15 06-25-2008 05:36 PM
Weekend at the Track Kyle.Gilmour General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 17 09-11-2007 08:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.