Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #651
TAP101
Retired Veteran

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think they originally said that they were to absorb the accoustic vibration.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #652
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Some of the Brembo equipped Camaros were having a squeel, squeek or hum during certain speeds/driving conditions. I don't think it was due to any phisical issue but harmonics. The weights were placed there until a "real" fix could be implemented. GM's fix was to install the "rollerskate wheel" things on the calipers. Pic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=639

I found these after a quick search:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...squeel+weights
and http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...squeel+weights

As far as having weights on there, I'm good with it. I think the rollerskate wheels look kind of goofy and are very noticeable. People don't even notice the wheel weights until I point it out to them.

I think the chances of one falling off are slim to none.

Last edited by Ron66Vette&10SS; 06-27-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Ron66Vette&10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #653
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Found this from blogs.gmhightechperformance.com;

In a statement from John Fitzpatrick, GM told the world that -

"Some early Camaro customers noticed that there are weights on the Camaro SS calipers. With high-performance vehicles like the Camaro SS, minor brake noise is not uncommon. The weights act as a damper to reduce noise in certain driving conditions. This was done after careful evaluation and validation by our engineering team. These weights will only be added to early builds of the Camaro SS."
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #654
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
They have been referred to as 'ghetto weights'. GM's engineers half-ass way at addressing the problem (if there is really one).
Early in Q12010 production, they began to integrate the 'weights' into the brake pads. No more stick-on's. I had the dealer updgrade mine as there is a service bulletin on this.
Search the forum, that is where I read about it, there is also pics to make it clear (before / after).

The stick-on weights will fall off with heat and time.
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #655
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Take it to a dealer they can swap it out with the corrected "roller skate" brake pads
Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #656
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda

Drives: XW30
They're just a cheap pad/rotor combination...Never have seen any "ghetto" fab fix like this in over 10+ years of working on Euro vehicles with OE brembos or even aftermarket BBK
Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #657
C5RACR

Drives: V6/RS Silver Ice
SS Caliper rattles

I probably should have started a new thread, but this seemed like the right place. I recently upgraded my V6/RS with a set of SS calipers and rotors and they work great. They do have the roller skate weights. They now rattle when I go over bumps and was wondering if it was those weights or something else? I would appreaciate if anyone has experienced this, or if I incorrectly installed something.
C5RACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #658
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Mine has those, I thought they were stuck there as a factory mistake but still left them there. Hmm
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #659
1FINE 69

Drives: 2010 synergy green and a 1991 rs
ok I just got a set from slp with the rollers will the fit without any issue on my SYNERGY GREEN with 19 wheels I got the full front set plmk
1FINE 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #660
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5RACR View Post
I probably should have started a new thread, but this seemed like the right place. I recently upgraded my V6/RS with a set of SS calipers and rotors and they work great. They do have the roller skate weights. They now rattle when I go over bumps and was wondering if it was those weights or something else? I would appreaciate if anyone has experienced this, or if I incorrectly installed something.
The weights may be making the noise, but that is not normal. Check the weights and see if they are loose. The rattling is not normal.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #661
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
If the damping weights are rattling, that means the rivets are not upset completely. Have a shop take a look at them. They can probably be fixed in a press, or they will need to be replaced if the rattling is unacceptable to you.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #662
|BLACKSS|

Drives: BLACK 1SS
I have a 1SS A6 Camaro and I ordered the car and picked it up from the dealer in September of 09. I looked today and my car has the weights on the from brakes. Im getting ready to put on 18 forgeline F14,,, will the weight hit the wheels?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #663
2010-CAMARO-SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
anyone knows if the corvette z06 caliper 6 pistons will fit on the 2010 camaro ss
2010-CAMARO-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #664
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-CAMARO-SS View Post
anyone knows if the corvette z06 caliper 6 pistons will fit on the 2010 camaro ss
It's not a bolt-on. And it would not be an upgrade if it was.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #665
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Vin#61096. They are stacked up on both of my front brakes.
2010 Camaro SS - Currently: 575 HP, 485 RWHP, 430 Max. TQ. Stock: 400 HP, 339 RWHP, 349 Max. TQ. 2R Max Cam,SW LT Headers & Corsa Exh.ADM CAI & Livernois Tuned, PI 2600 TQ Converter, LPE 3.70 Gears, Eaton True Trac, Ported Heads, TB & Intake. 2012 Camaro ZL1 - Currently: All Stock
Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #666
CammieChix

Drives: 2011 1LT 6-SP MANUAL
wheel weights

Glad I saw this because my car came home from a 10-day stay at the dealer with so many other things wrong with the transmission and engine that I didn't even notice until later those little cubes were added! So I have a stack of wheel weights on RL and RR. No one in service ever told me why they put them on or what for but I see it in the parts list on my report.

I don't have an SS. So I don't think I understand why they randomly added them to my LT. What is this supposed to do?

Anyway, I have more sad stories to tell under transmission but was hoping someone could answer that for me. Thanks.
CammieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #667
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
It is not normal,I would recheck the mounting bolts and the rattle clips/pins on top of the brake pads.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #668
LS3-6.2L

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6 gears w/stick
is this RIDICULOUS wheel weight situation fixed yet or has GM decided to blow off thousands of customers that have these on their beautiful Brembos??? I hate this stuff on my brakes and have NO confidence they wont fly off on the highway....what is current status?? is there a FIX for god's sakes GM??
LS3-6.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #669
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3-6.2L View Post
is this RIDICULOUS wheel weight situation fixed yet or has GM decided to blow off thousands of customers that have these on their beautiful Brembos??? I hate this stuff on my brakes and have NO confidence they wont fly off on the highway....what is current status?? is there a FIX for god's sakes GM??
When did you buy your car? I thought it was only the earlier ones that had the wheel weights on the Calipers. GM has since brought out pads with weights attached to them. They are more "cosmetically" pleasing. LOL

I would check with your service department and see if they would install those pads and remove the wheel weights from the calipers. Would be worth a try.

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #670
LS3-6.2L

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6 gears w/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
When did you buy your car? I thought it was only the earlier ones that had the wheel weights on the Calipers. GM has since brought out pads with weights attached to them. They are more "cosmetically" pleasing. LOL

I would check with your service department and see if they would install those pads and remove the wheel weights from the calipers. Would be worth a try.
have e mailed my service manager....will update on what he says....no matter what these wheel weights are going away this summer. I hate them.
and GM not sending me a notice on a fix is inexcusable.
#6046 is my VIN
LS3-6.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #671
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
? just pop them off? They're just stuck on like they would be stuck to your wheel. If you have the ones that stick out of your calipers you can cut them off with a dremel.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #672
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 2014 SS sedan
GM put them on there because brembos have a tendency to squeal until they are all the way warmed up. It's so crybabys dont hear normal brake squeal from a performance caliper and pad setup!

.....and why is this thread back from the dead? People are still buying first batch 2010s?
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #673
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
sorry to bring back this Zombie thread, but doing a search as to why I had wheel weights on my calipers...I wanted to say to davidcroft...

Yes, we are....some with only 18k miles on them.

And since I put it back on top, will mikethepowdercoater just pull those weights when / if I send them in as cores for the next guy assuming they are there for pad squeal? Secondly, if I replace pads with Hawk HPS, I assume the squeal goes away with fresh powdercoated calipers and the new pads?

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - CAI, Elite catch-can, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, BMR toelinks, BMR trailing arms, BMR cradle bushings, BMR sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #674
DandDC09

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 Malibu
Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #675
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Drives: Camaro Justice
The four pot fronts were added to the Camaro late in the game. Brembo and GM both felt they had suffcient experience with the brakes and were confident the combination would present no unusual issues. They wre about 98% correct. The brakes and pads are among the best combination for street and track available. Unfortunately, there is a squeal than many Camaro owners found unacceptable. The fix is to add mass to the caliper. The stick on wheel weights add mass and reduce the noise. The roller skates work the same way.

If cosmetically the weights of skates bother you, remove them.

What you should not do iss change from the excellent OEM brake pads to get less dust or less noise. Unless you are changing your brake pads to a more aggressive, more brake dust and more squeal track oriented pad you are making a mistake.

Brake dust is the combination of metal from the rotor and pad material worn away by the friction of stopping your car. If you install a pad that makes less dust, you installed a pad with less friction. Less friction means you have compromised your braking. Your brake no longer work as well as they did from the factory. Stay with the OEM brake pad.

Brake squeal is the result of two hard surfaces rubbing against each other. To reduce the squeal the only option is to install a softer pad. Softer pads generate less noise because they produce less friction. Go to any local autocross or road course and listen to the brakes squeal. You'll find true enthusiasts that understand what makes for good braking. The squeal from their brakes tells all those in the know that this is a serious car, with serious brakes and a serious owner.

Stop complaining and thank The Camaro TEAM for putting a good set of brakes and pads on the muscle car we love.