Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #69
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Actually 621 degrees F is nothing for brakes. A rotor can turn red hot with a hard stop, and for steel that is about 1500 deg. F at a color called "full cherry red". Don't EVER go up to a car and touch the rotor with your finger, because if the brake was recently used, you will leave the end of your fingertip on the rotor.

By the way, this is the reason the spare tire does not fit the SS model.
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #70
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur
 
Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 188
The only legitmate reason I can come up with and was mentioned above, is brake noise. Adding a small amount of mass to the caliper could do wonders for unwanted brake noise. Its a total jackoff fix if that is in fact what it is for, but I can't think of anything else.

Its certainly not going to damage anything to remove them and if they were on my car I would have removed them already.
__________________
2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS, Imperial Blue/Gray Silver Rally Stripes
Douge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #71
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,746
I looked it up in the service manual and those are the brake shunts.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #72
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,452
So if I just knocked the weights off, that would void the break warranty?

It's so absurd I almost believe it.....

But I don't think the spare would fit over the brembos even without the weights. Also, if it was a last minute fix, it doesn't add up. The spare tire thing was decided long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I looked it up in the service manual and those are the brake shunts.
Am I supposed to know what a brake shunt is or did these just escape from the trunk?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #73
oldsmobile
 
Drives: '98 Olds Aurora
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17
Ok Teleplayer. If what you say is true how do they determine if the brakes were abused on other cars that do not have the lead weights?
oldsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #74
delius
David Hayter
 
delius's Avatar
 
Drives: F-body
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 194
OMG...FINALLY...THE CHICK MAGNET HAS BEEN DISCOVERED
__________________


I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #75
Rally Sport
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
the only thing i can think is some kind of mass damper for an NVH issue, however that would be a piss poor way to fix a problem on a production car.....
__________________



2LT RS CGM 6M on order
Rally Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #76
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Sport View Post
the only thing i can think is some kind of mass damper for an NVH issue, however that would be a piss poor way to fix a problem on a production car.....
Whatever the reason, it screams ghetto. If there's not some really good reason, I'll be knocking them off mine.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #77
Mark Lew
 
Drives: 02 TrailBlazer, 10 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7
Question carliper height ?????

ha,, I think ,, is for anti-vib,, just something dum or try to fool us !
Mark Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #78
Gentry78
HOOK'EM
 
Gentry78's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
This may be the best urban legend ever created. I'm not saying your wrong but lead melts at 621.43 °F. I really don't think stopping at 140MPH would create that type of heat. Even if it did get that hot there would be no need for the lead because all kinds of other stuff would be melted for sure...

For the real answer look at my post, its 3 up....
nice drawing lol


and what about the adhesive that holds them on wouldn't that melt or come off well before those temps?
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #79
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
nice drawing lol


and what about the adhesive that holds them on wouldn't that melt or come off well before those temps?
I would say they will all eventually fall off. I'm starting to wonder if this thread is all a big joke. If so, haha good one.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #80
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,842
Wierd...
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #81
Jonmalibuss
 
Jonmalibuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Silverado VHO
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alta Loma, California
Posts: 69
Send a message via AIM to Jonmalibuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
nice drawing lol


and what about the adhesive that holds them on wouldn't that melt or come off well before those temps?
I would have to agree! I'm sure the adhesive will fail and they will fall off with continuous heating and cooling cycles along with water, dirt, and anything else that will come in contact with them. If anything I would have to guess and this is far fetched but this is my best guess. I think this might be a way of "tuning" the suspension, I have seen testing done where they "jounce" the cars suspension on a machine to test dampening properties. I would guess those are atleast 1/2oz weights which would mean there is right around 1/2lb of weight on the caliper. I don't know if they would go to this extreme but for the handeling characteristics, WHO KNOWS? I think adjustable shocks would do the same job but then cost goes way up!!!
__________________

2005 Silverado VHO: Outlaw intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Belltech drop, 4.11 gears with Eaton LSD, Baer brakes 15" up front with 6 piston calipers, drum to disk 14" conversion for the rear, IForged 22"x10" 2 piece wheels, probably many more mods which I have missed...
Soon to be 2010-2011 Camaro SS/RS This is if the truck is worth trading in or I get it paid off!
Jonmalibuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #82
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
There will probably be a future recall to replace all the calipers with a revised version. There is no other reason I can possibly think of except to change the vibration characteristics of the setup. Basically you lower the resonant frequency when you add mass. So in certain braking conditions they must squeal, squeak, chatter or "ring" badly enough to require this band-aid.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #83
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
There will probably be a future recall to replace all the calipers with a revised version. There is no other reason I can possibly think of except to change the vibration characteristics of the setup. Basically you lower the resonant frequency when you add mass. So in certain braking conditions they must squeal, squeak, chatter or "ring" badly enough to require this band-aid.
The breaks don't move/rotate to have a resonant frequency. Also, it's only on the fronts apparently.

What happened to your previous proclamation of Brembo requiring it for some stupid warranty agreement? Quit trolling.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #84
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
There will probably be a future recall to replace all the calipers with a revised version. There is no other reason I can possibly think of except to change the vibration characteristics of the setup. Basically you lower the resonant frequency when you add mass. So in certain braking conditions they must squeal, squeak, chatter or "ring" badly enough to require this band-aid.
There is a slight possibility that this is true.. sad, but true.. Only way to find out is to remove them..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #85
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
The breaks don't move/rotate to have a resonant frequency. Also, it's only on the fronts apparently.

What happened to your previous proclamation of Brembo requiring it for some stupid warranty agreement? Quit trolling.
The warranty thing was a joke. But everything has a resonant frequency, it doesn't have to be a moving part. And don't call me a troll
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question: Cars only driven by one wheel? JMROD General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 17 08-29-2010 05:04 PM
I need Camaros for an up coming event Jim Injun Ear USA - Southcentral 8 03-05-2010 06:07 PM
2SS Silver Ice Metallic at ATL Car SHow Cmurf_SS Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 40 11-09-2009 10:38 PM
Saw 2 Camaros today... Cyberfan 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 2 03-14-2009 07:43 PM
Current wheel & design,just an observation nitrokid Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 5 07-25-2008 01:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.