Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
galapagos

Drives: Malibu
2012 LS vs 2012 LT

hey guys, question here: what are major difference between LS and LT models, please don't talk about interior, what most interests me is major mechanical differences
galapagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Fog lights, rims, and I think that is it on the outside.
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Same engine,lts have the option of getting the rs package which is also an appearance upgrade.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
galapagos

Why LS2 quotes 30mpg though?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
hawkfe

Drives: 2014 Stingray 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by galapagos View Post
Why LS2 quotes 30mpg though?
I think you can get a different rear end ratio for the LS2.
hawkfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Mechanical

Adding the RS to a V6 upgrades the tires to summer only P-Zeros. Which flashes the computer to 155 MPH instead of 118. So you have that going for you.

SS springs, shocks, and sways. You might find in the For Sale section.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
P3SAR
Waiting to Drive

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM w/SIM
The LS2 models get a different rear axle ratio. It is a 2.92 I believe, so higher mpg at the sacrifice of some performance off the line.
Chevy gets to claim 30 mpg though with a 323 horse motor!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfe View Post
I think you can get a different rear end ratio for the LS2.
Right, the auto is an open differential. The V6 manual has the same differential as the SS.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
galapagos

Does the difference make it a bit more awkward to drive? The cool thing that I like about LS2 is that it comes with auto stick standard, but yeah there's no RS package for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3SAR View Post
The LS2 models get a different rear axle ratio. It is a 2.92 I believe, so higher mpg at the sacrifice of some performance off the line.
Chevy gets to claim 30 mpg though with a 323 horse motor!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Adrenaline12

Yea imo i would never buy a camaro a6 it has to be an m6 no matter what trim. I have the 2012 ls m6 and its awesome, keepin the steelies on for the winter and then when it gets warmer ill throw on the 20's
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
galapagos

did you have a chance to put HIDs/Halos besides the rims on yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline12 View Post
Yea imo i would never buy a camaro a6 it has to be an m6 no matter what trim. I have the 2012 ls m6 and its awesome, keepin the steelies on for the winter and then when it gets warmer ill throw on the 20's
Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Adrenaline12

im thinking eagle eyes ( about 350 after market halos), i bought tahoe foglights ( same as camaro oem but cheaper) i just havnt had the time to install them.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Main difference between the LS and LT in 2012 is the wheels. You get steel with the LS and 19" aluminum wheels with the LT. Also, if you ever want to put staggered wheels (staggered wheels means wider tires in the back and smaller in the front) on your car the LS is not built for them and they will void your warranty. I never got a clear answer why, but the parts guy, my dealer and the head mechanic at my dealership all confirmed this for me. That is why I went with the rs package. Now in 2010 and 2011 the RS tail lights and the RS spoiler were not standard. Now they are standard on all models. Personally, I think the car looks best with wide tires on the back so that's why I wanted the rs package. I think everyone else talked about the speedo on the RS letting you go 155.

Last edited by JoshBobGuptaMarley; 12-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.
JoshBobGuptaMarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
The 2LS trim package for 2012 is the base model Camaro with the 2.92 rear axle, as P3SAR noted, and it is the only LS trim that gets the automatic transmission as well, and is the only Camaro trim level with the automatic transmission as standard. Other than that there are few to any serious mechanical differences between the LS trims and the LT trims. I hope this helps to substantiate what has been said and give you a good answer to your question.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
The 2LS trim package for 2012 is the base model Camaro with the 2.92 rear axle, as P3SAR noted, and it is the only LS trim that gets the automatic transmission as well, and is the only Camaro trim level with the automatic transmission as standard. Other than that there are few to any serious mechanical differences between the LS trims and the LT trims. I hope this helps to substantiate what has been said and give you a good answer to your question.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
The different axle makes it impossible to put the rs tires on the LS or any staggered set of wheels for that matter. I would say that's a big difference. I had already paid for the LS when my dealer called to tell me I couldn't put rs wheels on it so we changed to the 1lt so I wouldn't have any issues.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
galapagos

sounds like you had same considerations that I have right now before buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
The different axle makes it impossible to put the rs tires on the LS or any staggered set of wheels for that matter. I would say that's a big difference. I had already paid for the LS when my dealer called to tell me I couldn't put rs wheels on it so we changed to the 1lt so I wouldn't have any issues.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Glad I could help I actually did buy the 2012 LS for about a week hehe. Thank God it was being delivered and I had time to get what I wanted. To me it's hard to get 20+ inch aftermarket rims without looking like a drug dealer. I like the clean balanced look of the rs wheels.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Sorry, you're wrong and so was your dealer. The bolt pattern and axle dimension-wise is the same. You can put the RS wheels on it and it will be fine. Your dealer upped you to the 1LT and was wrong. The RS wheels may not be an option you can purchase from them when ordering the LS but they fit just fine. The diameter of the tire remains the same regardless of which level you end up purchasing.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #19
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Sorry, you're wrong and so was your dealer. The bolt pattern and axle dimension-wise is the same. You can put the RS wheels on it and it will be fine. Your dealer upped you to the 1LT and was wrong. The RS wheels may not be an option you can purchase from them when ordering the LS but they fit just fine. The diameter of the tire remains the same regardless of which level you end up purchasing.
Ask them what it does to your warranty....he said I could do it but they have a notice from GM that they are to advise people against it, as it will void your warranty. It was the dealers idea that I just get the LS anyway hehe...I had to insist on upgrading. I called around about it. Actually the dealer had a friend who was going to sell me his rs wheels untill the parts guy said they wouldn't fit. Then they called around and verified the issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
The dealer is an idiot!

So I take my 20's off for the winter and put on the GM 18's and I void my warranty?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #21
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #22
cyberLS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS
so your saying if you got the ls and changed your wheels and then your engine blew they would not cover it just because you changed to a different oem wheel? make no sense at all.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #23
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberLS View Post
so your saying if you got the ls and changed your wheels and then your engine blew they would not cover it just because you changed to a different oem wheel? make no sense at all.
Hey guys if you don't believe me call your own dealer and ask.......don't just claim I'm wrong because you "think" I'm wrong....staggered wheels are what I'm talking about. You can put aftermarket tires on The LS, but you can't use the rs wheels or it could and has caused problems in other peoples ls model cars. And your right, that makes no sence, it probably has more to do with the warranty on your suspension. My dealer originally told me I should just get the LS and upgrade the wheels myself. Well I happened to of wanted the rs wheels which are staggered. The service people said they wouldn't fit right and that the LS isn't made for those types of wheels. My dealer investigated it and told me he didn't really know why and he said i should just put them on anyway, but it would void my warranty...so I said no.

Last edited by JoshBobGuptaMarley; 12-29-2011 at 06:39 AM.
JoshBobGuptaMarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #24
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Hey guys if you don't believe me call your own dealer and ask.......don't just claim I'm wrong because you "think" I'm wrong....staggered wheels are what I'm talking about. You can put aftermarket tires on The LS, but you can't use the rs wheels or it could and has caused problems in other peoples ls model cars. And your right, that makes no sence, it probably has more to do with the warranty on your suspension. My dealer originally told me I should just get the LS and upgrade the wheels myself. Well I happened to of wanted the rs wheels which are staggered. The service people said they wouldn't fit right and that the LS isn't made for those types of wheels. My dealer investigated it and told me he didn't really know why and he said i should just put them on anyway, but it would void my warranty...so I said no.
Dude, your dealer is full of BS....a LS and LT are 99% the same inside and out including the suspension, axles, brakes, and hubs. Staggered wheels won't effect your suspension.

And before you say "that's what you think", I did verify this with my dealer and parts manager and they both say you got lied to. Not misinformed, but straight up lied to.

They have sold several LS Models and upgraded with RS wheels...They've never heard of such a problem and I've never seen one mentioned here. Putting on aftermarket wheels and rims can be a cause to void your suspension warranty because in your owners manual it says to "use only GM approved wheel and tire combinations."

What aftermarket wheel and tire combination has GM officially approved?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #25
cyberLS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS
Quote:
what they told you is complete bull. there is no difference in the axles or suspension from an ls to an rs, so if you can put staggered wheels on an lt/rs and since it comes that way you are more then able to do it to a ls. i for instance have staggered on my car with no problems at all. they are 8.5 in the front and 10.5 in the back.it is not that we dont believe it is that your dealer is an idiot.