Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Header Question? Will my axle back negate my power?

Here's the scoop... I have the SLP LMII axle back and am looking to get some Kooks LT's. Am I wasting my time putting LT's on my car if I am running just an axle back? Does the axle back restrict the flow to where it is a waste of my money doing LT's with just an axle back. If I could go back I would have just done the cat-back, but whats done is done.

Is anyone else running LT's with just an axle back?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
I'm not to sure, I did lts wit high flows and straight pipes ,

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
newagemuscle

I plan on doing the high flow cats also. I thought I had it figured out on what I wanted to do, but now after reading I wonder if I need to dump my axle back and get a full corsa cat-back too. I would love too do both, but $$$ adds up real quick between everything.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
almost all axel back systems do absolutely nothing for power. headers will add power. the reason most people dont do what you are doing is because it is usually a waste to replace the front and the rear and leave the middle. they just get the whole system. there is no negation of power
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
No matter what, they will out perform those stock boat anchors. So, no

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
alybudhwani

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Aqua Metallic Blue
you should be fine. a lot of people get shorties and axlebacks, and leave everything stock and they still make some power. so im assuming you would gain a lot more power with lt headers

check out my build
seriously though...
alybudhwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Fireslayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
LT's give you preformace and sound. Everything else is just sound......and more money of course. Skip the cat back and save your money. LT's with your axle back may even be too loud for your taste. LT's with stock cat back and high flow cats are prefect for me. I get a bit of a deeper tone at idle and normal driving and a growling LS V8 when I put down the peddle.
Fireslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Here's the scoop... I have the SLP LMII axle back and am looking to get some Kooks LT's. Am I wasting my time putting LT's on my car if I am running just an axle back? Does the axle back restrict the flow to where it is a waste of my money doing LT's with just an axle back. If I could go back I would have just done the cat-back, but whats done is done.

Is anyone else running LT's with just an axle back?

Thanks
Several of us are running LT's with stock exhaust with no reduction in HP at all.....several threads on C5 validate through dyno testing that OEM exhaust flow(s) very well!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Several of us are running LT's with stock exhaust with no reduction in HP at all.....several threads on C5 validate through dyno testing that OEM exhaust flow(s) very well!

By your sig it looks like you have exactly what I am looking to do... other than purhaps the Loudmouth II. I curently have the Rotofab too. What kind of numbers are yopu putting down with that setup?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Currently at (RW) 417HP/411TQ - definitely a significant difference in acceleration/performance than stock!

Get your Kooks Jet-Hot coated, a small price to pay for the extra-value.....

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
There is only one axle-back that I've seen anyone say robbed them of power. Do a search to confirm, but I think it was one of flow masters kits. Please don't take this as fact because it's been a while since I read the thread.

I believe it was busyboi's car, but again not completely positive.

I'm running BBK LT's and a JBA axle-back. With a CAI and tune I put down 430/430 on a stingy dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
There is only one axle-back that I've seen anyone say robbed them of power. Do a search to confirm, but I think it was one of flow masters kits. Please don't take this as fact because it's been a while since I read the thread.

I believe it was busyboi's car, but again not completely positive.

I'm running BBK LT's and a JBA axle-back. With a CAI and tune I put down 430/430 on a stingy dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds more like a generous dyno.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
I added the SLP LMII after I got it home from the dealer. A week later I installed Kooks LT headers/hi-flo cats. I didn't change the mid pipe. Kooks said I'd gain 5-10 hp with an X-pipe for $300 more. I couldn't see spending $300 for 5-10 HP. I had a dyno tune, a ported intake and aported TB after that. I got 424/rwhp. I think that is pretty good.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
I recommend headers with corsa. It sounds incredible!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
CosmicBrut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Long tube headers is where you will pick up the most power. For the amount of money you will spend on a cat back you don't gain nowhere near as much as you do with lt headers and high flow cats. The stock cat back actually flows not too bad considering how big the mufflers are. Unlike the 4th gens the 5th gens have true duals which helps.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Also don't forget the TSP header system! We offer the TSP headers with tons of features for a fraction of the cost of the competition, and we now offer a 3" x pipe setup in case you want to upgrade your x pipe while your doing the install.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3411-te...ro-ss-62l.aspx

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2168-te...ro-ss-62l.aspx
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
redirish

Drives: 2SS/RS/M6/IOM/IOM/WHTRALLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Currently at (RW) 417HP/411TQ - definitely a significant difference in acceleration/performance than stock!

Get your Kooks Jet-Hot coated, a small price to pay for the extra-value.....
Can you buy headers with the Jet-Hot coating?

Also for the group, what is the stock Cat Back exhaust made off? Stainless? Galvanized?
Vortech V3 Polished Supercharger Kit, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch,DSS 1000HP Axles, Jannetty 4:10 Rear with Posi Mod,MGW Short Shifter with White Retro Knob, Race Ready Exhaust Cutouts, BMR Trailing Arms, Separate Clutch Reservoir, Tick Clutch Line, Tick Clutch Bleeder, ZL1 Pedal Covers
BUILT BY IDEAL GARAGE TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING 1/8 Mile 8.64@75.28 1/4 Mile 12.94@107.61 BoneStock Best time on DR's 11.60@124MPH

Last edited by redirish; 12-30-2011 at 07:15 PM.
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Doing testing here I have not seen a huge gain by changing the mufflers on a stock car. Sure add in a cam and other items the better flowing, and larger 3" systems will help the car make more. It doesn't hurt them either.

As far as performance impact you can loose a lot of weight by going aftermarket, just like the Corvette OEM mufflers the Camaro's are almost like boat anchors.

Mufflers should be left to how you want the car to sound. Those will make the biggest impact as far as how the car sounds. Sure headers will make the car louder, but mufflers will change the tone and pitch of the car.

Ease of Install
We learned a long time ago to make the system work, it needs to be easy for the user to install. So like our Corvette systems we made this as simple of a bolt on as you can get. All of our kits come complete from engine to mufflers or with mufflers and tips included so all you have to do is bolt it onto the car. Fittings slip together for the smoothest connection between pipes. This also makes our cats replaceable in the event of damage or you want to swap to an off-road setup for track use. The only cutting you would have to do, would be removing the stock mufflers if you want to use them with our kit as GM welded the OE system together complete from the manifolds back.

Configurations and Options
We offer our system in one of four different setups.
1. Full system with out cats, without mufflers
2. Full system w/cats and without mufflers
3. Full system w/o cats and w/mufflers
4. Full system w/cats and with mufflers
All systems will come with off-road pipes included at no charge even for cat'd systems. All systems come with clamps, hardware, extensions, and now GM gaskets as well.

Features
  • 1 7/8" Primary size
  • 3" merge collector with fire cone
  • Full 3" mid section
  • 3" high flow Siamese X pipe design
  • Connects to OE or OE replacment mufflers with included 2.5" adapter
  • All wires, hardware, extensions and GM gaskets now included
  • High flow optional 200 cell metal matrix catalytic converters
  • Off-road pipes included no charge on cat'd systems
  • 35+ RWHP GAIN!
  • LifeTime Warranty for original owner