Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
Question about upgrading my heads in the near future

My current set-up is all the basic bolt-ons, G6X3 CAM, 921 dual springs, harden push rods, new seats and the titanium retainers. M6. This is pretty much just a car to have fun in. So my long term goals for this car are pretty vague. Fast and loud? It's fun just modding the car and seeing the new beast every time.

I tried to search around the forum and found a TON of awesome posts but I still have a few more questions bouncing around in my head.

So there are the Texas-Speed PRC heads:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3200-pr...der-heads.aspx

Then, say the standard porting job they offer:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1179-pr...ted-heads.aspx

On with the questions!

1. I know the stock heads are around 68cc (correct me if I'm wrong). So say I were to want it changed to 65cc. Does this up compression like milling would do or is this an effort to increase the velocity of air moving through the heads?

2. The purpose of swapping out the stock valves to hollow-stem valves is to reduce the strain on the valvetrain and decrease the chances of valve float? (Again, please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. In regards to #2, is this upgrade something a race application would benefit more from and therefore not necessarily a needed upgrade?

4. What exactly is the difference between a 13-Degree Angle Valve vs a "5 Angle Valve Job"? Or am I trying to compare two completely different things?

I think that's a majority of my questions right now. I'm trying to get a good idea what's overkill (32 Valve head I saw in a post a few days ago) and compare price vs usability vs the room for future mods.

Sorry for the wordy post, but I look forward to hearing what you guys have to offer!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
1, i assume you mean the compression chamber, and to reduce the size you must plane them, most people want them bigger to run boost and nitrous
2. less moving weight, less strain, more potential rpms
3. only race would see a differnce, just like all other different types of valve, no street car will rev and heat that high to need them
4. it is the amount of flat sides cut on the valve, the more the better seal

the 32 valve heads are hella expensive like 10,000 a set

ported heads changes the geometry inside the head, above the valve.
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Stock heads flow well up to 600HP - are you planning on your mod's to go near or over 600HP?

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiowa88 View Post
My current set-up is all the basic bolt-ons, G6X3 CAM, 921 dual springs, harden push rods, new seats and the titanium retainers. M6. This is pretty much just a car to have fun in. So my long term goals for this car are pretty vague. Fast and loud? It's fun just modding the car and seeing the new beast every time.

I tried to search around the forum and found a TON of awesome posts but I still have a few more questions bouncing around in my head.

So there are the Texas-Speed PRC heads:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3200-pr...der-heads.aspx

Then, say the standard porting job they offer:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1179-pr...ted-heads.aspx

On with the questions!

1. I know the stock heads are around 68cc (correct me if I'm wrong). So say I were to want it changed to 65cc. Does this up compression like milling would do or is this an effort to increase the velocity of air moving through the heads?

2. The purpose of swapping out the stock valves to hollow-stem valves is to reduce the strain on the valvetrain and decrease the chances of valve float? (Again, please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. In regards to #2, is this upgrade something a race application would benefit more from and therefore not necessarily a needed upgrade?

4. What exactly is the difference between a 13-Degree Angle Valve vs a "5 Angle Valve Job"? Or am I trying to compare two completely different things?

I think that's a majority of my questions right now. I'm trying to get a good idea what's overkill (32 Valve head I saw in a post a few days ago) and compare price vs usability vs the room for future mods.

Sorry for the wordy post, but I look forward to hearing what you guys have to offer!
Yes, the smaller combustion chamber raises the compression ratio, 13 degree valve angle is the angle that the valve is positioned in the port. The 5 angle valve job are the angles cut on both the valve and valve seats of the cylinder heads, two different things entirely. A well designed port can make more power at lower engine speeds also, not just at a higher rpm.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
CosmicBrut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
If you have a g6x3 cam I believe that has a big lift so you can go with tsp for the head exchange but you won't be able to have the heads milled down too much unless you are ok with cutting valve reliefs in the pistons. To be honest from all I've read the stock heads flow so well, if you want to see a big gain I'd go with either mast heads or the small bore ls7 heads.

Last edited by CosmicBrut; 12-30-2011 at 11:13 AM.
CosmicBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
I appreciate the feedback! It seems the more I read the more I find it kind of unnecessary to upgrade my heads..but I have to pull them already so I figure why not? (learning alot of lessons this year)

Annd I don't see this car making 600hp based on what I've seen people with similar setups making.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Have you thought about just having your stock heads CNC ported and rebuilt? Easy to have done since you're already going to have them off, and will save you money over buying new heads.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Send your heads out, best bang for the buck.
http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGM821Head.php
Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
What about these Cartek heads I keep hearing about? N/A car in the 10's.....
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote