Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
BrandX
45th SS

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th anniversary
Question for those with LT headers

I am thinking about a set of long tube headers for my 2012 LS3 SS. In the past with similar type of upgrades with other vehicles, I noticed some extra noise with LT headers. I am not talking about increased exhaust tone. What I am referring to is noise from the headers themselves consisting of "Ring" or extra noise from the exhaust rushing through the headers (people who know cars will know what I'm talking about) . I actually find it kind of annoying and was wondering if I could expect that from this car. I know material and construction has alot to do with the noise, so any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

My other thought is to keep the stock manifolds and add a set of Solo High flow Cats. I think the gains would be close.

Thanks for the input.

MODS: Dynomax Exhaust, Vararam Wedge, Airaid Intake, DRL Harness, LED Conversion, Tinted Marker Lamps, ZL1 Splash Guards, GM Strut Brace.

More to come

Last edited by BrandX; 01-01-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edit
BrandX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The will certainly give more noise - a sharp 'ring' as you call it - at idle its not much but gets louder from there.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade & Tune - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
blk5genss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Try your best to ensure that all the bolts and brackets are tightened, other that it's just part of hot rodding!! Lol
TSP Cam 231/236 112 LSA,TSP UD,Fast 102 w/Ported TB,AirAid CAI,1 7/8 catted Stainless Power LT,3 IN MBRP 3 in Exhaust/180*,Spohn LTA's,Toe Links, Drag Bar,Diff bushings,Hurst shifter,Hendrix/DSS 1400HP Axles,Nitto NT555R's,Lethal Performance Custon Tune 480 RWHP 454 RWTQ!! Best run so far is 11.94@121 LPE 3.91's Coming soon NW 102, and DSS DS, then car should be complete!!!
blk5genss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
BrandX
45th SS

The reason I asked this is becuase the car is very refined and quiet for what it is on the road. Hoping to keep some of the NVH out of the equation.

NVH= Noise/Vibration/Harshness

MODS: Dynomax Exhaust, Vararam Wedge, Airaid Intake, DRL Harness, LED Conversion, Tinted Marker Lamps, ZL1 Splash Guards, GM Strut Brace.

More to come
Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Less NVH and our hobby to modify these cars DO NOT go hand in hand period. If you want to increase the horse power from your camaro then forget about
1. cold air kit because that will make you actually hear the air coming in. FORGET IT

2. Headers forget that too more power more air more noise from your stock exhaust, the tubes will amplify your valve train noise too. AND no solo cats will NOT have the same power results as LT headers SORRY if someone misinformed you. FORGET IT

3. Catback? No because obviously you will increase the noise levels drastically (compared to stock).

YOur ONLY option my friend is "keep it stock and add lots of dynomat".
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Coated dynatechs with out cats and zero extra noise up front.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
FRANK121

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have noticed what sounds like more valvetrain noise after my LT headers and thought maybe something was going wrong. Is it true that the headers will ampliy that noise? That is good to know if true. I have not noticed any ring as stated but I do have a CAI and that plus the exhaust is all I hear when on the gas
6 Speed Automatic
Whipple 2.9L
LS3 Conversion
ARH LT Headers and X-Pipe
GMMP Axle Backs
Yank 2800 Stall
RotoFab CAI
RX Performance Catch Can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
Built by C.B.I. Streetcars
Tuned By DSX Tuning
GM Quarter Flares
Camaro Floor Mats
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
It's louder, no question. From the front of my car the valve train noise is louder than the exhaust at idle and my exhaust is LOUD. I also hear the exhaust flow at normal rpms; it is also noticeable above the highway/wind noise at 80. If you listen for it, which it sounds like you would, you will notice it. It's not bad, just noticeable.

That said, I've heard that the ceramic coating option reduces this noise by a considerable degree. I'd find someone local with your build options and ask them to check out their car.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
My car as well as others I have ridden in that have headers are louder all the way around. Some have weird noises coming from the engine bay as well. Soon as I started modding, the refinedness went out the door.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
BrandX
45th SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Less NVH and our hobby to modify these cars DO NOT go hand in hand period. If you want to increase the horse power from your camaro then forget about
1. cold air kit because that will make you actually hear the air coming in. FORGET IT

CAI's do not add the type of noise I am talking about. CAI is on the list of mods coming to this car and they do not add any noise unless you are on the gas!!!!!

2. Headers forget that too more power more air more noise from your stock exhaust, the tubes will amplify your valve train noise too. AND no solo cats will NOT have the same power results as LT headers SORRY if someone misinformed you. FORGET IT

Headers can work if they are quality units. I know there will be extra noise and I'm cool with that as long as it is manageable.

3. Catback? No because obviously you will increase the noise levels drastically (compared to stock).

A good sounding exhaust with no drone is also acceptable.

YOur ONLY option my friend is "keep it stock and add lots of dynomat".
I'm not doing sound deadening.

Look I know headers will add noise. What I'm looking for is if it is really noticeable in this car. I do like to carry on a conversation while I drive sometimes.

More to come
Old 01-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
redirish

Drives: 2SS/RS/M6/IOM/IOM/WHTRALLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
It's louder, no question. From the front of my car the valve train noise is louder than the exhaust at idle and my exhaust is LOUD. I also hear the exhaust flow at normal rpms; it is also noticeable above the highway/wind noise at 80. If you listen for it, which it sounds like you would, you will notice it. It's not bad, just noticeable.

That said, I've heard that the ceramic coating option reduces this noise by a considerable degree. I'd find someone local with your build options and ask them to check out their car.
Is the ceramic coating the same as the Jet Coat that some get on there Kooks?
Vortech V3 Polished Supercharger Kit, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch,DSS 1000HP Axles, Jannetty 4:10 Rear with Posi Mod,MGW Short Shifter with White Retro Knob, Race Ready Exhaust Cutouts, BMR Trailing Arms, Separate Clutch Reservoir, Tick Clutch Line, Tick Clutch Bleeder, ZL1 Pedal Covers
BUILT BY IDEAL GARAGE TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING 1/8 Mile 8.64@75.28 1/4 Mile 12.94@107.61 BoneStock Best time on DR's 11.60@124MPH
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post

Look I know headers will add noise. What I'm looking for is if it is really noticeable in this car. I do like to carry on a conversation while I drive sometimes.
i am 100% satisfied with sw 2" headers going down the interstate my car is no louder than stock and they added unbelieveble power i went with no cats and left stock from there back because i dont want a loud car i just wanted the extra power, it dont get loud until WOT. hope this helps
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post

Keep it stock - if you want performance, go the FI route with stock exhaust manifolds, cats, mufflers.....

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Stainless is not as thick as the cast iron manifolds, so you do get a small pinging sound from the front of the car after installing them. I have never found this to be a big deal because it is really not very loud or anoying. Cats helps keep the sound down some to.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
BrandX
45th SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Stainless is not as thick as the cast iron manifolds, so you do get a small pinging sound from the front of the car after installing them. I have never found this to be a big deal because it is really not very loud or anoying. Cats helps keep the sound down some to.

An answer I was looking for. They will be catted so that would help. I have heard some that were loud.

More to come
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
geaux_tigerss

Coversation and radio present NO ISSUES with headers. Even paired with catback exhaust, I have no problems with loudness. It's noticeable, not problematic.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Keep it stock - if you want performance, go the FI route with stock exhaust manifolds, cats, mufflers.....
i tried that i couldnt get the tune right with manifolds with FI it had a bad spark knock that i couldnt get out unless i cut the tune way back and for the money spent on FI i couldnt see cutting my car back that much because of manifolds, just a thought.
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
geaux_tigerss

In fact, let me go a little further. My wife is the first to let me know when she doesn't like my car. Amazingly she has yet to complain about my mods (in sig) and even told my mom that the car wasn't very loud on the inside. Of course the exterior volume is a whole separate issue .
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you want the best of both worlds, meaning performance and sound, go with the lt's and high flow cats matted up to the rest of your factory exhaust. The factory cat back flows excellent and does the best job out of any cat backs in keeping things reasonable on a loudness level. Just what you want!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
If you want the best of both worlds, meaning performance and sound, go with the lt's and high flow cats matted up to the rest of your factory exhaust. The factory cat back flows excellent and does the best job out of any cat backs in keeping things reasonable on a loudness level. Just what you want!!
+1

Here's a similar setup with some DT LTs (no cats) with a OEM Catback attached:

Enjoy!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
When I see these questions answered one thing everyone forgets seems to be that inside the car, even with the windows down there is not much noise, even with long tube headers. I have ARH long tubes and a "cat back system as well as a supercharger (centri) and the noise level inside the car with the windows up cruising is about the same as stock, a little louder with the windows down.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Keeping the factory cat back installed will help keep the drone out of the cabin as well.

Try to find others in your area with different systems and go for a ride. That is by far the easiest (and cheapest) way to find the sound (or lack of) that your looking for to match the performance gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk