Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
xbot

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Non Droning Cat-Backs

I have been doing a ton of research about exhausts and cant seem too many different exhausts that dont drone (to my knowledge).

The Camaro is my dads car and i own an '06 GTO with a Corsa exhaust. I know for a fact Corsa doesnt drone but he doesnt seem to be that crazy about Corsa. He likes more of the muscle car sound but doesnt want it to be loud inside(drone). I know for GTOs the Borlas, Flowmasters, SLP, Magnaflow all drone. Cant seem to find anything on Kooka cat-back and Stainless Works.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for an exhaust, and are the droning exhausts the same for the Camaro as well? Car is an A6 and have been convincing him to get a tuner to tune out AFM.

PS. He says he isnt going to be doing headers down the road(we'll see if that happens, lol)
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Borla is supposedly no drone
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
05mbm

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
I had magnaflow and kooks lt with cats on my 05 then again on my 06 GTO and never had drone. I currently have just a Corsa catback on my 2012 camaro and it has no drone. I have heard from friends that borla does have drone which is why i went with Corsa on the camaro.
05mbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I assume you meant to type corsa? Borla has a pretty droney reputation with the exception of the atak.

I can personally vouch that you get what you pay for with Corsa. I've put about 2000 highway miles on my car since my exhaust install. I was skeptical about the "no drone" promise, but it's 100% true. From 65-85 in 6th gear it is no louder than stock (maybe even quieter at some rpms). Bear in mind that this is inside the car volume. Below 2k rpms and easy throttle it's no louder than stock. It really never gets that loud inside the cabin. Quote from my wife during our first drive with the new exhaust (bear in mind she was skeptical as all hell about me getting exhaust) "Ok, I guess a baby could sleep in here." Haha, of course who wants to hear that after dropping 2+ grand on exhaust!?

Outside the car its fairly loud at all rpms except idle. When you get on it, oh my god. Have you ever heard the phrase "stupid loud?" It's the best of both worlds. That said, it's probably one of the most expensive sets on the market.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Check out Solo Performance Mach-XL catback system. No drone and a nice quality sound, musclecar idle and race car sound at WOT!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbot View Post
I have been doing a ton of research about exhausts and cant seem too many different exhausts that dont drone (to my knowledge).

The Camaro is my dads car and i own an '06 GTO with a Corsa exhaust. I know for a fact Corsa doesnt drone but he doesnt seem to be that crazy about Corsa. He likes more of the muscle car sound but doesnt want it to be loud inside(drone). I know for GTOs the Borlas, Flowmasters, SLP, Magnaflow all drone. Cant seem to find anything on Kooka cat-back and Stainless Works.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for an exhaust, and are the droning exhausts the same for the Camaro as well? Car is an A6 and have been convincing him to get a tuner to tune out AFM.

PS. He says he isnt going to be doing headers down the road(we'll see if that happens, lol)

I have Corsa and love it. Its definitely a muscle car sound. So I don't know what he is talking about but you need to watch and ask people that have the Corsa on there SS's
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
geaux_tigerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuice View Post
I have Corsa and love it. Its definitely a muscle car sound. So I don't know what he is talking about but you need to watch and ask people that have the Corsa on there SS's
Yeah for some reason it sounds different than the corsa I have heard on a C6 vette. Different muffler I guess. I definitely feel like the camaro corsa sounds more like a muscle car than the vette version.

Duffmobile has a youtube video of his in a tunnel that sold me on it (
). It sounds like a nascar at WOT under an overpass.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Not my S-type. Drone at 2,000 RPM and above. When I put my headers and cats on, the starting point dropped even further. Used to go 75 MPH and it would start, now it's at 70.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
thallman91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert!
Yep...I did a TON of research too. I'm 41 with a wife and an 8 yr old...and wanted a non-drone system so I didn't have to put up with an un-happy wife. (I also wanted as close to an "18 year old" sound as I could get!) I loved the sound of the Borla "S", but didn't want to take the chance on the drone. The SOLO Cat Back for my '11 VT convertible has been great. Might add SOLO High flows...but the sound is great as is! Love it! Check out these links for the VERT sounds (I'm sure there are similar ones for the coupes):

Vert Cat Back SOLO -> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...16#post3473916

Vert Axle Back SOLO -> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...09#post3459809

The JPipe technology (Hemholtz) makes the drone go away!

Good luck!

2011 Victory Red Convertible - 2SS/RS
Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE 20" Wheels
Considering Mods: Backup Camera and internal screen

Fedorov for President! Ovechkin for Vice!
thallman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
xbot

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Thanks for all the info guys, really helps me out!

BTW - If you have add Headers to Corsa Sport exhaust on a GTO, it sounds more like an exotic than a muscle car. Here is one of mine.

xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT Red Rock Coupe
Don't forget the Dynomax VT axlebacks. If you don't like 'em, they'll take 'em back.

BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
geaux_tigerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbot View Post
Thanks for all the info guys, really helps me out!

BTW - If you have add Headers to Corsa Sport exhaust on a GTO, it sounds more like an exotic than a muscle car. Here is one of mine.
I see what you mean. It's definitely more muscle car sounding in a camaro. Mine does not have the high pitch like that. But definitely find someone that has it nearby and have a listen. It's too expensive of an exhaust to experiment and decide you don't like it.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The Stainless Works Retro Chambered is my personal favorite. Nice muscle car sound and zero drone.

Give this thread a read for some feedback from the customer who owns the car in the video below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
That's my car in the video, I have had the kit installed for a month now.

I'm very happy with the exhaust, Chase had been talking me into this exhaust for a while now and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger.

As you can see, very aggressive tone. Nice and deep, no rasp. If you are listening on computer speakers, please get some headphones so you really hear this exhaust growl.

It's on the loud side for a cat back, but no where near obnoxious. The volume is perfect. Wont wake the neighbors, but will draw some good attention. NO DRONE. I drove the car 2 hours to and from Louisville for this video, and tried to make this kit drone. It wouldn't. Different gears, different speeds, different RPM's and no drone. I know thats a subjective matter, but nothing that even remotely bothered me. I think Stainless Works deserves more credit in the "No drone" discussions.

Install was easy. Product was packaged well, well labeled. Top quality bends and welds. Everything fit well and bolted right up.

Stainless Works staff is top notch. Had the opportunity a couple times to talk to Anthony, what a great guy. Even called him during the install and he was a class act.

Chase and Apex Motorsports are awesome. Fast shipping, great customer service. If you're going to buy this kit, you will not beat the customer service from Apex Motorsports. And I'd have a hard time believing you'll beat thier price either. I got to spend the day with Chase and Paul this weekend, great people!

I love this exhaust! Awesome service and price from Apex Chase, Great tone, no drone. This really is a "best of both worlds" kit. Nasty on the outside, quiet on the inside!

I'm happy to answer any questions...

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 03-20-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
I love my Doug Thorley. Zero Drone!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Neriah

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Borla ATAK. Zero Drone as well as many have stated.
Full BMR bushings and suspension.
Neriah is offline   Reply With Quote