Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Thumbs up My dealer ordered a car 1 month ago, and he just got invoiced!

I think they are making them quicker than anyone thinks. If this is true, then the car was built within a month of placing the order with GM. I called to check our status today and he said they just got an invoice on a car they ordered 1 month ago.

Do they build these cars in order, or do they preference them by color and options?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
No they are not being built in date order.. There was lots of speculation.. but obviously there are a lot of us still confused........:(

I don't think GM knows what they are doing now....

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
theshadow1234

Drives: Shelby GT500
Wow that blows for people who put thier orders in 7-8 months ago and are still waiting to pass 1100 or above. I called a dealer yesterda with allocations and they told me it would be 6-8 weeks after it gets picked up. Strange.
theshadow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Avol2: They definitely do know what they're doing. GM is not as stupid as everyone thinks. They have a plan for building the vehicles, trust me. The fact that dragons dealer did that is not uncommon. Just because some of us placed our orders with our dealers back in October means little to nothing really. GM sends out weekly allocations to each of its thousands of dealers so that every dealer can get cars regardless of how many the pre-sold. If anything, you guys should be mad at your dealers that took your orders knowing damn well they would not be built until June or July. GM did send memos to dealers advising them of how to handle the process and stated that it was up to them whether or not they would pre-sell these vehicles.

GM builds these cars based on placed orders by dealers in accordance with the allocations sent to them. If a dealer has 12 orders and 2 allocations, guess what happens to the other 10...

Again, if a dealer has 0 orders and 12 allocations, he will most definitely have his vehicles faster than the guy with 2 allocations.

It all has to do with dealer performance, location and market.

Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, that is not my intention, but when people bad mouth a company when they don't really understand the business, it makes me a little frustrated.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Yeah, pre-orders should have been built first in my opinion.. What's the point of pre-ordering then??
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yeah, pre-orders should have been built first in my opinion.. What's the point of pre-ordering then??
If you were number one or number two at yoru dealer, then the point is you get the exact car you want earlier than most people. If you were number 7 or 8 of 10, it's your fault for not understanding that the initial allocations were through the third quarter of the year and if you were that far back in line, naturally there will be dealers who did not take pre-orders that will get cars before you. Your dealers should have explained all of this to you, but all of the information is on these boards.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
Avol2: They definitely do know what they're doing. GM is not as stupid as everyone thinks. They have a plan for building the vehicles, trust me. The fact that dragons dealer did that is not uncommon. Just because some of us placed our orders with our dealers back in October means little to nothing really. GM sends out weekly allocations to each of its thousands of dealers so that every dealer can get cars regardless of how many the pre-sold. If anything, you guys should be mad at your dealers that took your orders knowing damn well they would not be built until June or July. GM did send memos to dealers advising them of how to handle the process and stated that it was up to them whether or not they would pre-sell these vehicles.

GM builds these cars based on placed orders by dealers in accordance with the allocations sent to them. If a dealer has 12 orders and 2 allocations, guess what happens to the other 10...

Again, if a dealer has 0 orders and 12 allocations, he will most definitely have his vehicles faster than the guy with 2 allocations.

Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, that is not my intention, but when people bad mouth a company when they don't really understand the business, it makes me a little frustrated.
Its all good..

but I am still confused... last month my dealer said they were suppose to get 3 cars in April.. so far they are just now on the list for their 1 LT show car, (and I don't think it has left the plant yet).. my car is #1 order .....they had 9 allocations for orders back in October and sold them all...

Lots of Mustangs in Tacoma, Lots of Dealers in Tacoma... and only 3 show cars coming to Tacoma (to different shops).... its just odd... .. and not worth my frustrations or misunderstandings...

AND I do believe there are issues. With so many of us ordering 6+ months ago, and someone orders last month and get theirs before us.... no matter how you coat it, slice it or dress it up ... it is not fair to the LOYAL been around for a long time customers waiting.. however Chevy wants to sell it, its still not fair............ but alas life isnt fair.... I know......

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avol2 View Post
Its all good..

but I am still confused... last month my dealer said they were suppose to get 3 cars in April.. so far they are just now on the list for their 1 LT show car, (and I don't think it has left the plant yet).. my car is #1 order .....they had 9 allocations for orders back in October and sold them all...

Lots of Mustangs in Tacoma, Lots of Dealers in Tacoma... and only 3 show cars coming to Tacoma (to different shops).... its just odd... .. and not worth my frustrations or misunderstandings...

AND I do believe there are issues. With so many of us ordering 6+ months ago, and someone orders last month and get theirs before us.... no matter how you coat it, slice it or dress it up ... it is not fair to the LOYAL been around for a long time customers waiting.. however Chevy wants to sell it, its still not fair............ but alas life isnt fair.... I know......
When he said "3 cars in April" he was referring to allocations. Once a dealer receives allocation and submits an order to utilize that allocation, it's about a month or more until it will show up as built. Each dealer is getting ONE show car, no matter how big or small (although apparently some or all dealers are getting an additional freebie on top of that show car, I haven't seen clear info on this).

Keep in mind that really, we are not GM's customers, the dealers are. We are the dealers' customers. That being said, there's also strict rules/laws/regulations as to how GM has to divvy up allocation. They can't just give allocation to dealers that did preorders as you and pretty much everyone else on this forum including myself wishes they would. It just can't work that way.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Beechdoctor

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Camaros are built in the following order. IMHO

Priority 1....High profile buyers like Nascar and Hollywood types....marketing strategy.

Priority 2....Knowing or getting to know someone higher up at GM that can influence the build schedule.

Priority 3....May 6th Dealer showroom cars and unveiling events...again marketing strategy.

Priority 4....Fleet cars like AVIS....still again marketing strategy.

Priority 5....Dealer size and total sales volume generally dictates when sold order cars are sequenced.

With few exceptions, Early orders from October are just sold orders without any special priority unless it is a Top Tier Dealer. GM is betting on tens of thousands of new orders with the May 6 event....dwarfing the October 2008 early orders from us fanatics. This sucks for those of us that ordered from a small dealer on the first day, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.....

By July, this discussion will be a forgotten memory to the masses.
Beechdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by avol2 View Post
Its all good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechdoctor View Post
Priority 1....High profile buyers like Nascar and Hollywood types....marketing strategy.

Priority 2....Knowing or getting to know someone higher up at GM that can influence the build schedule.

Priority 3....May 6th Dealer showroom cars and unveiling events...again marketing strategy.

Priority 4....Fleet cars like AVIS....still again marketing strategy.

Priority 5....Dealer size and total sales volume generally dictates when sold order cars are sequenced.

With few exceptions, Early orders from October are just sold orders without any special priority unless it is a Top Tier Dealer. GM is betting on tens of thousands of new orders with the May 6 event....dwarfing the October 2008 early orders from us fanatics. This sucks for those of us that ordered from a small dealer on the first day, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.....

By July, this discussion will be a forgotten memory to the masses.
At the end of the day, we can't be too upset. We have to remember that enthusiasts make up a small proportion of car buyers. Not many people are as fascinated as we are with the physics and design components of the automotive industry. It's sad that we have to wait the longest for the cars we want the most, but the ultimate truth is that we do not really profit the companies we support. Sure—we're more likely to buy car-related apparel, performance parts, and more expensive cars, but we're also a very small market segment that will buy regardless of what they throw at us. We are the guaranteed sales, and they have to go out of their way to get other sales in order to keep catering to us. If we were the only sales, our favorite companies would go the way of DeLorean.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
RottNCrzy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Black/White S
I think the problem with some cars is the dealer takes your money but can't order them I've seen people place order in oct . But not accepted by GM till April.... Sorry to say but your car is now on line in April , Oct means nothing. All that means is the dealer did'nt have allocation so your order never went in till they had allocation. Tell me if I'm wrong but thats what my dealer said is what is going on.
RottNCrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
My workbench shows priority 25? What does that mean? My dealer had 24 on their preorder list, I am 5th on the second list I guess.

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Flynnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
drewauby5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
It means that you are 25th on the list of camaro orders placed at your dealer. They are allocated so many cars through the first 3 quarters of the year. They get monthly allotments and are allowed to enter in those in any order they choose. Basically you will be the 25th order entered by your dealer, thus waiting a while for your car...I am in Tucson also and looked at both dealers here and they told me I would be that high on list and I went to Larry Green Chevrolet in Cottonwood and used one of their open allocations in April, my car is at 2000 event code now.
2SS/RS IBM gray interior/sunroof, MN6, white rally stripes, ordered 4/2 to be delivered 6/20 Vin #13322!!
drewauby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Think of it like a TWO FUNNEL process....

You were first at your dealership (you go into the funnel) and the rest go in behind you....The funnel empties into a GM Funnel in March. First out of the dealer funnel, are the first into the GM funnel. Regardless how full your dealerships funnel was, all funnels into the GM funnel are treated equally. As the GM funnel empties, cars appear.

?
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewauby5 View Post
It means that you are 25th on the list of camaro orders placed at your dealer. They are allocated so many cars through the first 3 quarters of the year. They get monthly allotments and are allowed to enter in those in any order they choose. Basically you will be the 25th order entered by your dealer, thus waiting a while for your car...I am in Tucson also and looked at both dealers here and they told me I would be that high on list and I went to Larry Green Chevrolet in Cottonwood and used one of their open allocations in April, my car is at 2000 event code now.
So you mean these dealers are lying!? My priority # is 44..so I am the 44th order at my dealer..even though I was told I was 18th? That is f'd up! Could those be the dealer's unsold lot cars in that lump as well? Heck if that is the case why not go to as many dealers as possible and place a order...first one to deliver is the one I go with! The deposits are refundable so just call all the other dealers and say you changed your mind and get your deposit back. Hey, if it's a numbers game why not play their game too!?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
Archie
Evil Event Code 4B00 Milk

Drives: fbody
Send a message via AIM to Archie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post

You were first at your dealership (you go into the funnel) and the rest go in behind you....The funnel empties into a GM Funnel in March. First out of the dealer funnel, are the first into the GM funnel. Regardless how full your dealerships funnel was, all funnels into the GM funnel are treated equally. As the GM funnel empties, cars appear.

?
this is by far the best explaination yet.

nice job
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
If that is true, I guess I am number one, after the first 24 preorders.

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
hoozat
Hoozat

Drives: 87 vette, 67 mustang, 10 2LTRS
My dealer told me today that they are also factoring in the amount of Mustangs sold in the area around each dealer, and using that number as part of the prioroty delivery formula... anyone heard this ??
hoozat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #19
drewauby5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Flynn, yes but just because they had 24 preorders doesn't mean anything. Those 24 preorders are counted toward their allocation for the 1st 3 quarters. If they only have 24 allocated for 1st 3 quarters you will have to wait until 4th quarter just to get put into system. ( see Scotty's explanation) Thus October....might want to look elsewhere if looking to get a littler earlier, or at least call dealer and find out how many allocations they actually have for first three quarters...Just some helpful advice.
2SS/RS IBM gray interior/sunroof, MN6, white rally stripes, ordered 4/2 to be delivered 6/20 Vin #13322!!
drewauby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
OrangeCruSSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post

?
Ok, I get your funnel analogy. However you lost me in the middle. I understand the dealer funnel but the GM funnel is where you lost me. Once the dealer funnel is emptied into the GM funnel are saying ALL the dealer funnels are emptied into the GM funnel? If so, then all #1s at each dealer in the country are produced by GM first and go to their respective dealers? Or are all the cars emptied into the GM funnel input at the same time and GM decides which orders are actually produced and sent back to the dealers? If it's the latter of the 2 then it really doesn't matter what your order # was at your dealer..it's one big frekkin pool that GM decides what to produce and when.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
Yup...OrangeCruSSh seems to have a point. And then theres the third funnel at the railroad storage yards and transport storage yards where two or more little whirlpools go into one big funnel in any order they want and come out in any order they want.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #22
OrangeCruSSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post
Yup...OrangeCruSSh seems to have a point. And then theres the third funnel at the railroad storage yards and transport storage yards where two or more little whirlpools go into one big funnel in any order they want and come out in any order they want.
UGHHHHHHH!!!!!

I need to buy a lottery ticket...at this rate my odds of winning the lottery are better then actually getting my camaro! LOL
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #23
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

good too know, I just emailed my salesman to ask him, thank you

Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #24
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
A friend of mine was order number 7 of 16 (I am #8) and her order was the first one pulled from the dealer we ordered at. Seems like to me, that GM is pulling random orders from dealers. I would think that the allocations just mean that you would get your car in the first quarter and being the first one to order at a certain dealer dont mean anything except that your in the first allotment of cars.

Say the dealer has 10 allotments and presold 12 and I am the first to order from that dealer. The first ten will get their cars in the first qtr but not in the order that they showed up to order from the dealer. GM can pull any of the 10 orders they want.

Is this right???
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #25
BBfan24

Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS
here's how i think it goes. i think it's a market thing. whatever market would make the most money, or benefit the most with a car being sold sooner will get it's allocations first. GM determines the order they will take cars based on the dealership. they are not looking at your order dates. once GM figures out which dealership gets priority they tell the dealer to send in the order. it is the dealer who will figure out which car he wants to send in for his allotment. the dealer needs to send in his order other wise he will have to wait until the next time around for his allotments to be pulled by GM. if you are first, but you have a part that is on constraint he will bump your order for the next car.

GM is taking cars for roughly a six month period. if you are number 3 at a dealership that only has 6 allotments, your car will more than likely be pulled during the third months allotments. if you are number 3 at a dealership with 18 allotments, with no constraints, your car will be pulled the first month.

i hope this helps