Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
LBCamaro_ish

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
LT Header and Exhaust compatibility

So here's my issue, peeps:

I'm getting ready to purchase an exhaust system sometime within the next couple of months. I was set on Borla S type cat-back.

My question now is, when I purchase my LT headers sometime next year, will I have to replace any part of my cat-back system? I know some shops offer the LT's with some high-flow cats, but will I need to purchase a new mid-pipe to fit all this stuff?

If so, is it more worthwhile and efficient to just go axle-back for now and worry about all the mid-pipe stuff later? IN OTHER WORDS - will my LT Headers fit my Borla CAT-Back system when I'm ready to get them? Thanks everyone.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
From what I have read in all my research, your LT headers with high flow cats will bolt right up to your aftermarket cat back exhaust. The only time I have seen a mid pipe replaced was to reduce noise in some combinations. Hope this helps
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCamaro_ish View Post
So here's my issue, peeps:

I'm getting ready to purchase an exhaust system sometime within the next couple of months. I was set on Borla S type cat-back.

My question now is, when I purchase my LT headers sometime next year, will I have to replace any part of my cat-back system? I know some shops offer the LT's with some high-flow cats, but will I need to purchase a new mid-pipe to fit all this stuff?

If so, is it more worthwhile and efficient to just go axle-back for now and worry about all the mid-pipe stuff later? IN OTHER WORDS - will my LT Headers fit my Borla CAT-Back system when I'm ready to get them? Thanks everyone.
Most header systems out for the Camaro are designed to bolt up to the factory or after market catback system. There are a couple systems out that come with a full x-pipe and bolt up by the axles but not many. They are generally more expensive and most dealers would note that somewhere.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
LBCamaro_ish

Thanks Black1SS and Juiced,

I think that's where my confusion began. I must've seen a set of LT's somewhere that included the mid-pipe and I thought that was the case with all of them. I don't think the ARH LT's come with the mid-pipe, so I'll just take the advice and run cat-backs. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCamaro_ish View Post
Thanks Black1SS and Juiced,

I think that's where my confusion began. I must've seen a set of LT's somewhere that included the mid-pipe and I thought that was the case with all of them. I don't think the ARH LT's come with the mid-pipe, so I'll just take the advice and run cat-backs. Thanks again.
I was in the same boat. I think ARH's mid pipe threw me off too. As long as you make sure the headers come with high flow cats or off road pipes that neck down to 2.5" you will be fine.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
I think you are a little confused. Mid pipes typically refer to the cats (or off road pipes) that come between the merge collectors and the x-pipe. Some sort of mid pipes (whether cats or catless) usually come with any header system you'll find.

If you get a cat back now, just remember what diameter the piping is. So then when you get headers you know whether to get mid pipes that are 3" all the way through or neck down to 2.5" on the x-pipe side. To my knowledge the Borla S is a 2.5" system.

Also, ARH likes to sell their x-pipe packaged with their headers. Their system is 3" until the axle and then necks down to 2.5". There are probably vendors who sell just the headers (no x-pipe) but I don't think ARH lists it on their site.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your modding.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
flyman3

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Got some ARH 1 7/8" headers for xmas from autoagenda. It was the short system, connects straight to my solo mach x. If you have any questions, just give them a call. They were very helpful.
Mods so far: 20% tint, Solo Mach X Exhaust, Custom Hockey Stick Stripes from MPD1, RevXtreme Catch Can, 6.2L emblems from Emblempros, Stealth turn signal bulbs, Skip Shift Eliminator from Apex-Speed, MPD1 Spoiler, custom painted Sparks SS emblems by MPD, MPD Force 5 hood, custom painted ZL1 bumper by MPD, MPD smooth rear panel, C.A.I. intake to seal with hood, ARH 1 7'8" headers with Hi-flow cats, ceramic brake pads.
flyman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileMAN402 View Post
I think you are a little confused. Mid pipes typically refer to the cats (or off road pipes) that come between the merge collectors and the x-pipe. Some sort of mid pipes (whether cats or catless) usually come with any header system you'll find.

If you get a cat back now, just remember what diameter the piping is. So then when you get headers you know whether to get mid pipes that are 3" all the way through or neck down to 2.5" on the x-pipe side. To my knowledge the Borla S is a 2.5" system.

Also, ARH likes to sell their x-pipe packaged with their headers. Their system is 3" until the axle and then necks down to 2.5". There are probably vendors who sell just the headers (no x-pipe) but I don't think ARH lists it on their site.

As long as you note that you should be ok.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
LBCamaro_ish

Got it! Just gotta clarify what I have. I'm thinking of going with AutoAgenda as well, since I've seen the lowest prices come from their shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileMAN402 View Post

This should work for me because I will likely go axle-back now, for sound and to drop those annoying ass stock mufflers. Then buy the ARH SYSTEM next year. Sounds good enough, right?

Thanks again for all replies
Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
CosmicBrut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
As a side note just remember that whatever cat back you choose will completely change as far as sound when you add the headers. So make sure you pick the right combo. I'm sorry if I'm repeating what other people said....hope it helps.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
We make our headers to do a number of things, and yes you can use them with our mufflers, OEM mufflers, MagnaFlow, Borla.....

Mufflers do a couple of things, they change the look, the sound, and remove weight. From what we have seen they do not gain much in the way of HP, bit if you are wanting to gain some sound points, a muffler change is a good way to start off before doing the entire system.

Not every header system is going to be the same so look around, but this is a quick run down of our system and the options you can do with it.

Ease of Install
We learned a long time ago to make the system work, it needs to be easy for the user to install. So like our Corvette systems we made this as simple of a bolt on as you can get. All of our kits come complete from engine to mufflers or with mufflers and tips included so all you have to do is bolt it onto the car. Fittings slip together for the smoothest connection between pipes. This also makes our cats replaceable in the event of damage or you want to swap to an off-road setup for track use. The only cutting you would have to do, would be removing the stock mufflers if you want to use them with our kit as GM welded the OE system together complete from the manifolds back.

Configurations and Options
We offer our system in one of four different setups.
1. Full system with out cats, without mufflers
2. Full system w/cats and without mufflers
3. Full system w/o cats and w/mufflers
4. Full system w/cats and with mufflers
All systems will come with off-road pipes included at no charge even for cat'd systems. All systems come with clamps, hardware, extensions, and now GM gaskets as well.

Features
  • 1 7/8" Primary size
  • 3" merge collector with fire cone
  • Full 3" mid section
  • 3" high flow Siamese X pipe design
  • Connects to OE or OE replacment mufflers with included 2.5" adapter
  • All wires, hardware, extensions and GM gaskets now included
  • High flow optional 200 cell metal matrix catalytic converters
  • Off-road pipes included no charge on cat'd systems
  • 35+ RWHP GAIN!
  • Up to 47 lbs of weight REMOVED!
  • LifeTime Warranty for original owner

Also a new feature on the Super Pro line is our merge collector with fire cone.

All LG Motorsports header kits are covered for the lifetime to the orginial owner against any defect or issue. Of course damage by accident is not covered.

MUFFLERS
Our LG designed mufflers are fully polished stainless steel. These also a full 3" throughout and end with a 4" double walled slash cut tip. Lightweight and combined with a straight through design give you little back pressure with a deep American V8 sound!

TAKE A LISTEN!

2010 A6 L99 Camaro before and after full LG System and Dyno tune STOCK AIR BOX AND FILTER!

2010 M6 LS3 Camaro before and after full LG System and Dyno Tune

As always, please feel free to ask any questions or comments.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Mine bolted striaght up together no problem. I have no cats tho. But we are about to add them just cut and weld.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
LBCamaro_ish

Cosmic Brut - definitely been keeping that in mind. That's why I think the Borla S type mufflers will do for now (subtle and deep). Then, when I'm ready to go headers, should be at a respectable pitch and sound.

Anthony @ LG - Thanks for reaching out, your post cleared things up and gave me another option for header purchase.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
phdjent
Evan "FRESHAYR"

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51, 2014 Jeep SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBrut View Post
As a side note just remember that whatever cat back you choose will completely change as far as sound when you add the headers. So make sure you pick the right combo. I'm sorry if I'm repeating what other people said....hope it helps.
Yes I agree 100 percent. I had the Borla S-type catback because I wanted that deep strong sound. With that comes the drone at low RPM's. When I went to add the ARH Headers and High Flow Cats I was concerned about that drone being amplified. The answer for me was replacing the Borla with the entire American Racing Headers 3 inch X pipe and exhaust. The sound is so unbelievable. I just can't get enough of revving the engine. Call ARH directly, I think you'll get a better value with their 3 inch product compared to the price of the 2.5 inch Borla Catback. Especially if you're looking to add their headers. I see you're in California. ARH now has the shorty headers.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
J pipes will help with that drone problem. Took mine 100% away
Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
I had no trouble actually matching up three different company's products. Kooks headers and HF cats, Edelbrock Xpipe to stock exhaust pipes back to SLP axlebacks. They all fit perfectly and without hassle. I have a YouTube how to on some of it if you search ParisTNDude.

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote