Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
DuhKoDuh

 
DuhKoDuh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pilot Point, Texas
Posts: 2,107
Question Im confused.

my friend is taking his car to a car shop nearby and he said he is getting his heads milled and new gears in his l99? what is he talking about and will that get him any power? thanks!
__________________

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Synyster

 
Synyster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,164
Probably just porting the heads and throwing in shorter gears in the rear end. The heads should gain him some power and the gears will make the car accelerate like a bat outta Hell.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon
 
S3XPanther's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Good question
Posts: 1,722
Milling will increase compression, so yea he'll definitely see some power.
__________________
"It works 60% of the time, every time."

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
DuhKoDuh

 
DuhKoDuh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pilot Point, Texas
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Milling will increase compression, so yea he'll definitely see some power.
how much is it? and is it worth it?
__________________

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cali - NorthBay
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
how much is it? and is it worth it?
Cost depends on the shop and level of machining done. But ballpark could be in the neighborhood of 1K. As for being worth it? That is subjective. Porting won't get him all that much as these heads flow very well stock (and MUST be re-tuned if ported). It depends on how much they are going to raise the compression, if the grade of fuel available can withstand it and whether or not they plan on doing any tune work with it. If he is going to tune it and void the warranty, I can think of other things that would make a much bigger difference and cost the same roughly...

Gears will make a big diff in acceleration but don't add any HP, just amplify what's there....
__________________
"You were really flyin' when I passed you back there!" - Born on 10/05/09 MyCamaroBuildInfo
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
fldrummer
"Black Ace"
 
fldrummer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
... the gears will make the car accelerate like a bat outta Hell.
Definitely. I was amazed how much 4.10 gears transformed the way my SS takes off and accelerates--still my favorite mod I've done, so far.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS M6 "Black Ace" - Delivered 6/4/2009
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, maxed-out injectors).
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
DuhKoDuh

 
DuhKoDuh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pilot Point, Texas
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Cost depends on the shop and level of machining done. But ballpark could be in the neighborhood of 1K. As for being worth it? That is subjective. Porting won't get him all that much as these heads flow very well stock (and MUST be re-tuned if ported). It depends on how much they are going to raise the compression, if the grade of fuel available can withstand it and whether or not they plan on doing any tune work with it. If he is going to tune it and void the warranty, I can think of other things that would make a much bigger difference and cost the same roughly...

Gears will make a big diff in acceleration but don't add any HP, just amplify what's there....
hes getting it done by LG. so i should look into what he is doing also?...after i get my headers and cam? he already has LG headers g6x3cam lg intake and lg tune
__________________

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
hes getting it done by LG. so i should look into what he is doing also?...after i get my headers and cam? he already has LG headers g6x3cam lg intake and lg tune
Given he already has our cam in the car, you can mill the heads and get away with more compression on the car and still run it on 93. Big cams like the G6X3 love compression because the cam will 'bleed' off some dynamic compression.

Just milling the heads on a stock LS3 car might not be the best option as the factory cam has a lot of dynamic compression.

As with anything, the combination needs to be matched.
__________________
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cali - NorthBay
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
hes getting it done by LG. so i should look into what he is doing also?...after i get my headers and cam? he already has LG headers g6x3cam lg intake and lg tune
@LG's response above sums it up pretty much. I would have thrown that in my explanation but it wasn't stated that a "cam" was already done in your original post. This makes porting/milling more of a gain...
__________________
"You were really flyin' when I passed you back there!" - Born on 10/05/09 MyCamaroBuildInfo
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
CosmicBrut
 
CosmicBrut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Given he already has our cam in the car, you can mill the heads and get away with more compression on the car and still run it on 93. Big cams like the G6X3 love compression because the cam will 'bleed' off some dynamic compression.

Just milling the heads on a stock LS3 car might not be the best option as the factory cam has a lot of dynamic compression.

As with anything, the combination needs to be matched.
I have a question anthony, it might have been answered already but I'm curious. Do you have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons when you put the g6x3 in a ls3 with stock heads? Also if you put the g6x3 in a l99 motor(of course changing the lifters and getting rid of the cam phaser) how much can you raise the compression by milling the stock heads before ptv becomes an issue?
__________________
2011 SS/RS A6
TSP 229/236, TSP ported heads, FAST 102 intake, Vmax ported throttle body, Circle D 3200 stall, CAI cold air intake, Kooks complete system, installed and tuned by ECS 11.36@121
CosmicBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
DuhKoDuh

 
DuhKoDuh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pilot Point, Texas
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Given he already has our cam in the car, you can mill the heads and get away with more compression on the car and still run it on 93. Big cams like the G6X3 love compression because the cam will 'bleed' off some dynamic compression.

Just milling the heads on a stock LS3 car might not be the best option as the factory cam has a lot of dynamic compression.

As with anything, the combination needs to be matched.
Thanks Anthony!
__________________

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBrut View Post
I have a question anthony, it might have been answered already but I'm curious. Do you have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons when you put the g6x3 in a ls3 with stock heads? Also if you put the g6x3 in a l99 motor(of course changing the lifters and getting rid of the cam phaser) how much can you raise the compression by milling the stock heads before ptv becomes an issue?

If you keep the engine stock, LS3 or L99, the G6X3 fits just fine without fly cutting the pistons. If you are wanting to go to a thinner gasket, and mill the heads, yes you will have to cut the pistons for it to fit.
__________________
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro with a confused identity alex5252 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 23 08-02-2011 12:53 PM
Confused: Amp to Sub wiring KTMracing09 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 7 07-25-2011 11:18 PM
CONFUSED About HP jatt5ab1soorma Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 14 07-25-2011 07:42 PM
Am confused!! Rashed 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 50 12-03-2010 06:28 PM
Confused Bikers Big Brunsy 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 03-16-2010 04:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.