Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Question Im confused.

my friend is taking his car to a car shop nearby and he said he is getting his heads milled and new gears in his l99? what is he talking about and will that get him any power? thanks!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Probably just porting the heads and throwing in shorter gears in the rear end. The heads should gain him some power and the gears will make the car accelerate like a bat outta Hell.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Milling will increase compression, so yea he'll definitely see some power.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Milling will increase compression, so yea he'll definitely see some power.
how much is it? and is it worth it?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
how much is it? and is it worth it?
Cost depends on the shop and level of machining done. But ballpark could be in the neighborhood of 1K. As for being worth it? That is subjective. Porting won't get him all that much as these heads flow very well stock (and MUST be re-tuned if ported). It depends on how much they are going to raise the compression, if the grade of fuel available can withstand it and whether or not they plan on doing any tune work with it. If he is going to tune it and void the warranty, I can think of other things that would make a much bigger difference and cost the same roughly...

Gears will make a big diff in acceleration but don't add any HP, just amplify what's there....
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
... the gears will make the car accelerate like a bat outta Hell.
Definitely. I was amazed how much 4.10 gears transformed the way my SS takes off and accelerates--still my favorite mod I've done, so far.
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, maxed-out injectors).
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Cost depends on the shop and level of machining done. But ballpark could be in the neighborhood of 1K. As for being worth it? That is subjective. Porting won't get him all that much as these heads flow very well stock (and MUST be re-tuned if ported). It depends on how much they are going to raise the compression, if the grade of fuel available can withstand it and whether or not they plan on doing any tune work with it. If he is going to tune it and void the warranty, I can think of other things that would make a much bigger difference and cost the same roughly...

Gears will make a big diff in acceleration but don't add any HP, just amplify what's there....
hes getting it done by LG. so i should look into what he is doing also?...after i get my headers and cam? he already has LG headers g6x3cam lg intake and lg tune

Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
hes getting it done by LG. so i should look into what he is doing also?...after i get my headers and cam? he already has LG headers g6x3cam lg intake and lg tune
Given he already has our cam in the car, you can mill the heads and get away with more compression on the car and still run it on 93. Big cams like the G6X3 love compression because the cam will 'bleed' off some dynamic compression.

Just milling the heads on a stock LS3 car might not be the best option as the factory cam has a lot of dynamic compression.

As with anything, the combination needs to be matched.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
@LG's response above sums it up pretty much. I would have thrown that in my explanation but it wasn't stated that a "cam" was already done in your original post. This makes porting/milling more of a gain...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
CosmicBrut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Given he already has our cam in the car, you can mill the heads and get away with more compression on the car and still run it on 93. Big cams like the G6X3 love compression because the cam will 'bleed' off some dynamic compression.

Just milling the heads on a stock LS3 car might not be the best option as the factory cam has a lot of dynamic compression.

I have a question anthony, it might have been answered already but I'm curious. Do you have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons when you put the g6x3 in a ls3 with stock heads? Also if you put the g6x3 in a l99 motor(of course changing the lifters and getting rid of the cam phaser) how much can you raise the compression by milling the stock heads before ptv becomes an issue?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post

Thanks Anthony!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBrut View Post
I have a question anthony, it might have been answered already but I'm curious. Do you have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons when you put the g6x3 in a ls3 with stock heads? Also if you put the g6x3 in a l99 motor(of course changing the lifters and getting rid of the cam phaser) how much can you raise the compression by milling the stock heads before ptv becomes an issue?

If you keep the engine stock, LS3 or L99, the G6X3 fits just fine without fly cutting the pistons. If you are wanting to go to a thinner gasket, and mill the heads, yes you will have to cut the pistons for it to fit.