Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Yellow1lt

Drives: Yellow 1LT
should i have GM dealer install jannetty racing cam and long tubes

hey,
i am going to be getting the jannetty racing 470 cam package with the stainless works headers.. my dealer is saying they will install it for $1800 am i getting ripped off? they wanna remove the heads as well to do the cam swap which is why i think the price is so high. would love to hear feed back or if any dealers wanna share some info as well. if they remove the heads i have to get new bolts and gaskets for the heads which is making the price of this alittle too high.

thanks for any input or help in advance

2010 IOM 1SS - razzi body kit, havoc spolier, rksport ram air hood, CAI intake, SLP loudmouth 1 exhaust, gm gauges, bluetooth onstar. coming soon - Jannetty racing 470 cam package!
2010 Yellow 1LT - razzi front lip, transformer style spoiler, transformer center caps, mrpr exhaust, K&N CAI
Yellow1lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
If they will still honor your warranty then go for it because it would qualify as a dealer installed part. It will be more expensive because the dealer is going to "take their sweet time to do a cam swap and follow every procedure by the book"....The other thing is, the dealer is going to install the cam but are they going to re-tune it for you or will you have to have somebody else do it? If you don't care about the warranty on your car take it to a good shop by you that will install and tune it for a good price. Some shops by me I believe $1800 covers the swap and the tuning of the car and that may be on the high side.

Installing headers you can do youself if you have the tools. If you don't have the tools then I would have a shop do it. $1800 doesn't sound too bad for a cam swap and headers install though. I read quickly when i posted earlier. The most important part thoug, is the dealer going to retune the car after the headers and cam have been changed? Will it be making the best power with the tune too? The dealer could possibly put some lame safe numbers type of tune in there so you don't ruin the engine so they don't have to fix it if it comes back.

Personally I put on my own headers. I am waiting on money to come out of nowhere so I can get the parts to do a cam swap and pay someone to do it and a tune. I have built older generation chevy 350s and 383s but I know nothing about this engine. I don't want to screw it up. I will let someone more knowledgeable than I am do the swap.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness11 View Post
If they will still honor your warranty then go for it because it would qualify as a dealer installed part. It will be more expensive because the dealer is going to "take their sweet time to do a cam swap and follow every procedure by the book"....The other thing is, the dealer is going to install the cam but are they going to re-tune it for you or will you have to have somebody else do it? If you don't care about the warranty on your car take it to a good shop by you that will install and tune it for a good price. Some shops by me I believe $1800 covers the swap and the tuning of the car and that may be on the high side.
this.. i would let the dealership install it if they are going to still honor the warranty. but as mentioned you are going to need a tune. so you need to find out if the dealer is going to do the tune or if you will still have to take it somewhere else.
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Yellow1lt

Drives: Yellow 1LT
i will be emailing jannetty racing my stock tune to modify and the dealer would be loading it after the install

2010 IOM 1SS - razzi body kit, havoc spolier, rksport ram air hood, CAI intake, SLP loudmouth 1 exhaust, gm gauges, bluetooth onstar. coming soon - Jannetty racing 470 cam package!
2010 Yellow 1LT - razzi front lip, transformer style spoiler, transformer center caps, mrpr exhaust, K&N CAI
Yellow1lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
well it all sounds great, as long as they will honor all or any warranty issues.
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
hold on...do you have an SS or an LT?

why would they want to remove the heads? it can all be done on the motor (on an SS anway). The only way I'd trust a dealer to do it is if they have a tech who has a lot of performance experience. I highly doubt they're still gonna honor your drivetrain warranty...if so, then that's a plus.

NY5thgen.com
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Depends if it's a LS3 or L99........
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
I did and it worked great for me. But most places like that will tune your car the way they want. B/c they want to control how your car preforms so they feel comfortable with holding up your warranty. It worked great for me they did my cam and LT install vmaxx ported throttle body and they did there own custom dyno tune and dynoed it. They held up my warranty. Pushing close to 480-490 rwhp and kept a warranty. Who else can say that?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
ya i have heard of this a lot lately on here. it seems to work out for most people.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote