Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #18
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 3,982
Abygale,

When you try the wheel cleaner, make sure and use one of the better brands, ie'; Mothers or Meguires. Also, don't use any brushes on the wheels. If you allow the cleaner to sit and soak for a few minutes, it should remove any dirt, etc. that simple washing did not.

As for the Zaino, it sounds like the temps. in your area are pretty low, and as a consequence, the polish will take alot longer to dry. If you can just get the wheels clean, and are planning on garaging the car for the winter, theres no harm in waiting until Spring to add polish. Another option s to purchase a wheel polish, ie; Mothers, and use that for the time being. Come Spring, you can alwyas remove the polish, and add Zaino.

Good luck. Please let me know how you make out.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Thank you very much Moose. I finally was able to wash my girl tonight (after a long week of rain) but the wheels definitely need more attention. I'll get some of that wheel cleaner tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

I want to get a few coats of Z2 on her before I store her away for the winter but I noticed the Z6 acts differently already- it needed a little rubbing to remove which is unusual. I think it is because of the colder temps (low 40s) so I need to double check the temps for applying Z2 and Z5....I hope its not too late already :(
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Abygale,

When you try the wheel cleaner, make sure and use one of the better brands, ie'; Mothers or Meguires. Also, don't use any brushes on the wheels. If you allow the cleaner to sit and soak for a few minutes, it should remove any dirt, etc. that simple washing did not.

As for the Zaino, it sounds like the temps. in your area are pretty low, and as a consequence, the polish will take alot longer to dry. If you can just get the wheels clean, and are planning on garaging the car for the winter, theres no harm in waiting until Spring to add polish. Another option s to purchase a wheel polish, ie; Mothers, and use that for the time being. Come Spring, you can alwyas remove the polish, and add Zaino.

Good luck. Please let me know how you make out.

Ed
Thanks Ed, I sure will. I think we'll get into the 60s at least one more time ...I hope anyway, because I really want to get two coats of Z2 on the car (and wheels) before covering her for the winter
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
NVMY68SS
Drives #296
 
NVMY68SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smithfield, NC
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Abygale,

When you try the wheel cleaner, make sure and use one of the better brands, ie'; Mothers or Meguires. Also, don't use any brushes on the wheels. If you allow the cleaner to sit and soak for a few minutes, it should remove any dirt, etc. that simple washing did not.

As for the Zaino, it sounds like the temps. in your area are pretty low, and as a consequence, the polish will take alot longer to dry. If you can just get the wheels clean, and are planning on garaging the car for the winter, theres no harm in waiting until Spring to add polish. Another option s to purchase a wheel polish, ie; Mothers, and use that for the time being. Come Spring, you can alwyas remove the polish, and add Zaino.

Good luck. Please let me know how you make out.

Ed
Ed,

I know you are the Zaino Afficianodo around here, but I would never apply any of the commercial wheel polishes or chemical cleaners to a clearcoated wheel. They are for metal surfaces, not coated. This is asking for a wheel to get etched if left sitting too long.

Abygale,

I've been using Zymol, NOT Zaino to clean and polish my wheels as well as paint. The good thing about Zymol is that it will give a slightly darker appearance to whatever surface it's applied to as it replaces the oils in the finish. It's great for the wheels as well and it's available everywhere and there's no mixing and multiple coats required to achieve better results.

Also, as for cleaning the wheels, I'd also try clay-barring them. My car was in QC for 35 days and it was nasty when it arrived. I clay-barred the whole car, including the glass, and wheels. It made a big difference when applying my Zymol.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I'd read that label and make sure it says safe for clear coated surfaces.
__________________
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 3,982
NVMY68SS,

"My bad"...you are correct, you have to be careful in choosing a wheel cleaner. (I don't see mentioning a "chemical cleaner"/"commercial wheel polish". )That being said, there are many products offered, which are "clear coat safe", which is why I referred to Mothers/Meguires. I've used both on clear coated rims on car such as C6's, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc., with no problems. My method has been to soak each wheel with water, spray with cleaner and polish/clean, rinse, dry, and add polish. I have yet to have any problems. And I'm not saying Zaino is THE ONLY product out there. Abygale mentioned using Zaino, and that as well as using it myself on wheels, is why I suggest polishing with Zaino.

Zymol is another good product. Its just my opinion/experience, that if you're looking for durability, Zaino is hard to beat.

*And I DO NOT get any benefit(s) from Zaino, etc., for my comments regarding their products *

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY68SS View Post
Ed,

I know you are the Zaino Afficianodo around here, but I would never apply any of the commercial wheel polishes or chemical cleaners to a clearcoated wheel. They are for metal surfaces, not coated. This is asking for a wheel to get etched if left sitting too long.

Abygale,

I've been using Zymol, NOT Zaino to clean and polish my wheels as well as paint. The good thing about Zymol is that it will give a slightly darker appearance to whatever surface it's applied to as it replaces the oils in the finish. It's great for the wheels as well and it's available everywhere and there's no mixing and multiple coats required to achieve better results.

Also, as for cleaning the wheels, I'd also try clay-barring them. My car was in QC for 35 days and it was nasty when it arrived. I clay-barred the whole car, including the glass, and wheels. It made a big difference when applying my Zymol.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I'd read that label and make sure it says safe for clear coated surfaces.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
JayDee
The Jersey Devil
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro, 2010 10/6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 30
Send a message via AIM to JayDee
what zaino product(s) do you use on the wheels?
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,523
Ed, thank you so much. My wheels look as good as new now. I found a product called Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner. It is in a purple spray bottle and suitable for painted wheels.

Here are some before and after pictures. I didn't polish the wheels yet with Zaino....I'll do that the next time I do the car which will probably be tomorrow

Before:





After:

Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
what zaino product(s) do you use on the wheels?
JayDee, once they're clean, I'll use Z-5 or Z-2.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #25
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 3,982
Abygale,

I'm VERY happy to see your wheels turned out looking GREAT!

GREAT job!

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Ed, thank you so much. My wheels look as good as new now. I found a product called Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner. It is in a purple spray bottle and suitable for painted wheels.

Here are some before and after pictures. I didn't polish the wheels yet with Zaino....I'll do that the next time I do the car which will probably be tomorrow

Before:





After:

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,625
I now have a set of each and it is hard to see the difference without some effort.
My wife could not see it.
__________________
CAMARO.. 2010 The Heart Beat is back in CHEVROLET
Now let's put it back in America
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #27
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,625
I just got a set of polished. Now that I have washed them both I can see the difference. The MS are painted black on the back side while the Polished are natural. The MS will look better over the long haul as you can't see the dirt and brake dust that shows up very quickly on the polished.
__________________
CAMARO.. 2010 The Heart Beat is back in CHEVROLET
Now let's put it back in America
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standard v Midnight Silver v Polished Wheels? 02bluess Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 30 10-25-2015 05:48 PM
painted aluminum (std SS rims) on the RS instead of the Midnight Silver cyberbro 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 9 03-16-2009 12:52 PM
Do you want Midnight Silver Wheels? trade gotpball44 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 5 01-28-2009 04:24 AM
Do you want Midnight Silver Wheels? trade gotpball44 USA - California 0 01-18-2009 03:59 AM
midnight silver sizes GameOver620 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 15 10-14-2008 04:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.